Low Cap Only Games

Seth_Erebor
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm pro low cap, but I'm looking for opinions and view points.

2 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

I'm pro low cap, but I'm looking for opinions and view points.

I run midcaps because I like having to reload at least once in a while, that and not sounding like a huge maraca wherever I go is nice! 😂

Only reason I don't go for low caps is because of the massive advantage everyone else would have if they're all on 100+ round mags...

However, I'd be down for a low cap only game if there was enough people behind it cos that'd definitely reduce the pace of the game and force people to pick their shots a bit better!

• Supporters

i think mid caps are preferable, yes the ammo capacity is higher but imo it's equally offset by the lack of range and accuracy compared to a real firearm so for simulation purposes it's close enough.

plus insisting on low cap only tends to discount folk, when i've seen ammo limits being used it's along the lines of "2 hicaps, 6 midcaps, or as many low caps as you want to carry", lets most folk in whilst still enforcing a sort of limit to ammo.

I personally really like playing in games with restricted ammo, whilst not necessarily low cap per say, there is normally a stipulation that you can have less than 60 rds per magazine. for me this is low enough that I have to think before spraying... but as @BibbsOnTour says it's a lot more fun when everyone is on the same page and running the same limitations 🙂

plus not sounding like a maraca is definitely preferred as you said 😂

• Supporters

I’m the same as the hamster I’d like to play lows but unless everyone is then your on a hiding to nowhere, so mids area nice compromise as when you come down to it our toys aren’t the most accurate of things so having to put 2-3 bbs down range to hit your target does sort of equate to the real McCoy.👍

I play all year round, inside and out with real caps (gas mags). Never felt outgunned once. I pull the trigger when I’m aiming at someone and more often than not, that single BB hits. Don’t need to spam a million rounds into a wall 

What counts at low cap? 30 only? 

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

What counts at low cap? 30 only? 

to me low cap and real cap are interchangable terms, basically the capacity is whatever the real steel version is.

I’ve played a 600 limit game (had to go to respawn to reload) and it was good to play in a different style. 

Mid caps are a good middle ground as stated, makes up for lack of range etc. Can sometimes take a few rounds to get on target if there’s a slight wind and so on 

3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

to me low cap and real cap are interchangable terms, basically the capacity is whatever the real steel version is.

RS version of the mag?

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Seth_K said:

RS version of the mag?

yep, so say a standard stanag mag is 30 rounds, but a short "vietnam" style stanag is 20 rounds etc etc.

can't say a specific number because it depends on what the gun is meant to be.

of course it'd be a bit tricky with some designs, take my mg42 as an example the real drum for it only holds 50 rounds wheras it's next to impossible to get the airsoft version to hold that few let alone feed properly.

I would love to try some limited ammo games. 30 round mags on the gas L85 and G36 do put you at a disadvantage against the spray and pray boys. I still run them and enjoy the extra challenge of it but it would be fun to try a game where everyone is limited to mid caps or maybe 1 hi cap

17 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

yep, so say a standard stanag mag is 30 rounds, but a short "vietnam" style stanag is 20 rounds etc etc.

can't say a specific number because it depends on what the gun is meant to be.

of course it'd be a bit tricky with some designs, take my mg42 as an example the real drum for it only holds 50 rounds wheras it's next to impossible to get the airsoft version to hold that few let alone feed properly.

60rd mag, is that a good balance between low and mid cap? 

image.jpeg.4fac671914a030ce52f1145230f4801d.jpeg

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

60rd mag, is that a good balance between low and mid cap? 

image.jpeg.4fac671914a030ce52f1145230f4801d.jpeg

only if the airsoft version jams if you put more than 45 rounds in it :P

of course in that scenario i'd still call that a low cap if it could only hold the equivalent to it's real counterpart, because you're still dealing with an awkwardly large coffin hanging off the bottom of your gun.

to me mid cap is anything over real capacity but without a hopper, so it's only fed by a continuous spring.

i guess you could make an argument that you have real->low->mid cap but seeing as there's no real accounting for where you transition from low to mid cap in terms of the number of rounds it's kind of arbitrary, for example my normal m4 mags i use are modelled after the 20 round stanag pattern so for that pattern of magazine:

20 rounds=real cap

20-??? rounds=low cap

???-X rounds=mid cap (with the caveat that x is the highest capacity that can be acheived with a simple spring tube and follower)

20-inf rounds= hicap (if it's fed with a hopper and accompanying clockwork/electric mechanism)

the problem here is how do we define the ??? that transitions between low and mid cap mags for airsoft.

so the way i look at it:

20 rounds=real/low cap

20-X rounds=midcap (same caveat as before)

20-inf rounds=hicap (if it's hopper fed)

So if I want to have 60bbs, I should get the 60 real steel shape mag, right?

• Supporters
Just now, Seth_K said:

So if I want to have 60bbs, I should get the 60 real steel shape mag, right?

if you want to call it a real cap then yes :P

i'd also call it a low cap, but that's by my own defintion of the term which is by no means standard.

of course it's a handycap in a regular skirmish where i'm running 140 rounds in a mag 1/3 the size, but as others have said you can enjoy the challenge of limited ammunition.

• Supporters

The issue you’ll have is cost.

Getting everyone to buy lo caps after buying mids/highs for so long is going to put a cost on the game. 

Will probably put people off.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Prisce said:

The issue you’ll have is cost.

Getting everyone to buy lo caps after buying mids/highs for so long is going to put a cost on the game. 

Will probably put people off.

not to mention some airsoft designs don't have lowcaps available, like most support guns to start with as well as many of the more obscure designs.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Wo1f said:

I play all year round, inside and out with real caps (gas mags). Never felt outgunned once. I pull the trigger when I’m aiming at someone and more often than not, that single BB hits. Don’t need to spam a million rounds into a wall 

Aaahh now to me this is a totally different ball game , if I run my Gas AK then as each mag hold 35 bbs and weight a ton I only have 6 mags (and they ain’t cheap either!) BUT the bbs are of a heavier weight and a lot more accurate and have a greater range than using my ‘normal” ammo in my AEG’s I do feel I need to play a different game as I start out knowing I’m most definitely on a limited ammo count so I do find My self being so much more carful with my shots as these new constraints changes the whole dynamic of the game ?

• Supporters

Bear in mind that any mid or even high cap can be turned into a low cap just by loading fewer BBs.

You're trusting the players to know how many they need to put in to get $REAL_CAP_AMOUNT out, but then the whole game is based on trust.  If you're going to run games that way, I'd approach it with an attitude of encouraging and assisting those who want to play that way, without being too fussed if some folk choose to run sneaky mid-caps.

I enjoyed a limited ammo milsim-lite that I played.  Actually, I ended up as the boltie sniper/medic attached to a squad of GBBR players, so we were pretty close to real-cap play.  But it's not something that I'd want to do every weekend.

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Bear in mind that any mid or even high cap can be turned into a low cap just by loading fewer BBs.

You're trusting the players to know how many they need to put in to get $REAL_CAP_AMOUNT out, but then the whole game is based on trust.  If you're going to run games that way, I'd approach it with an attitude of encouraging and assisting those who want to play that way, without being too fussed if some folk choose to run sneaky mid-caps.

I enjoyed a limited ammo milsim-lite that I played.  Actually, as I ended up as the boltie sniper/medic attached to a squad of GBBR players, so we were pretty close to real-cap play.  But it's not something that I'd want to do every weekend.

not sure if this is exactly how they do it, but if you look at some of the american milsim stuff they look like they do a set number of rounds then you feed it however.

so say a rifleman gets say 400 rounds (or whatever number you think is appropriate) and he can either dump it all in 1 hicap or spread it out across a bunch of midcaps or whatever, any spare is kept in a bag which other players can loot.

• Supporters

My old home site Dragon valley in Caiwent near Newport runs 600 round limit for AEG’s and 2000 for support guns at all its games (usually run 30min per game) but if it’s a longer game then you can take some spare ammo to leave in your team base .

• Supporters
43 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

My old home site Dragon valley in Caiwent near Newport runs 600 round limit for AEG’s and 2000 for support guns at all its games

Yup, that was how my local one was run.  Or in effect, they said: 2 x hi caps, or 6 x mid caps for AEGs. And something like 90 rounds for snipers and 200 for DMRs.

However, 600 rounds would be 20 x 30 round real caps, so it's still nowhere near the paucity of ammo that I suspect Seth is imagining as part of his master plan to turn airsoft into a training and recruitment exercise for Her Majesty's Armed Forces.

If you want to run a real (pretend) milsim, you'd be looking at more like 6 x 30 round real caps, or sub 200 rounds per player.  People can have fun with that - to wit, the GBBR squad I was playing with - but it won't be everyone's cup of tea, and you'd want to think about what happens to players who run dry.

I'm not a fan of most limited ammo games. However I also dislike the mass spray play style of some. 

I would like to use midcaps, but after spending a fair amount and struggling to get ones that consistently feed well in both my aegs I gave up. 

For the past few months now I run with one ~400 round flash mag, a couple of pistol mags and a full speed loader. That now lasts me 2-4 normal "quick" games or a much longer afternoon game. 

Archived