Rushers / Speedsofters

Cleggy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I would describe myself as a 'rusher' getting in behind enemy lines, catching people out and giving my team the opportunity to push up and regain positions. However I feel like the enemy team hates this and I've been shot by dead men (pretty much full autoed) for killing them in this fashion, lots of knife kills also just because I don't want to shoot someone 1m away but even then this guy was extremely salty. I've played 3 games now but I do have experience in Paintball and I just want to know if this is acceptable in CQB, I was pushing it to the max sweating my arse off, but I don't want people to think of me as a cunt because I play in a certain fashion, at the end of the day it's a game and I don't want issues with people because of a game. This situation was only 1 person, everyone was seemed to get on with it, but in general how do you see it?

Just to note, this is my primary play style, other than that, I like to bunker down but I don't get anywhere near as much grief.

Any insight into this?

Full auto at Killhouse??
I play there a lot and whoever did that should be getting strong words from Michael.
Dead men can't shoot. They're pissed at you for getting up on them? And shooting them?
That's the game ffs.
If you're taking your hits, playing within the rules and still getting the kills, then I'd say they're just grumpy cos you're playing better than they are.
I have been taken out at killhouse a few times from peeps who have managed to get round any behind us.
It's my own fault for not watching my six, combined with good player on my opponent's part.
I get grumpy with people sometimes - but it's generally for shooting me after they're already dead!

No rule against rushing, knife kills are ALLOWED I asked the martial after I knife killed this guy and he said sure. Just a bad experience with that sort of person.

1 minute ago, sonofsammo said:

Full auto at Killhouse??
I play there a lot and whoever did that should be getting strong words from Michael.
Dead men can't shoot. They're pissed at you for getting up on them? And shooting them?
That's the game ffs.
If you're taking your hits, playing within the rules and still getting the kills, then I'd say they're just grumpy cos you're playing better than they are.
I have been taken out at killhouse a few times from peeps who have managed to get round any behind us.
It's my own fault for not watching my six, combined with good player on my opponent's part.
I get grumpy with people sometimes - but it's generally for shooting me after they're already dead!

Staff are amazing there, very friendly people. He 'pretty much' full autoed me when I was dead and about 7 shots went into my face mask with my hand up saying dead man. I wasn't happy to say the least but its a game. 

• Supporters

You play like me. 

I always think those that get salty after this style of play are jealous.

Either of your fitness or you outplaying them.

To me, you can play however you see fit, as long as you aren’t cheating. 

That being said, I have had it that some rushers don’t call hits, not because they are intentionally cheating, just the adrenaline pumping means you don’t feel it as easily. I think this is possibly where the stigma comes from?

4 minutes ago, Prisce said:

You play like me. 

I always think those that get salty after this style of play are jealous.

Either of your fitness or you outplaying them.

To me, you can play however you see fit, as long as you aren’t cheating. 

That being said, I have had it that some rushers don’t call hits, not because they are intentionally cheating, just the adrenaline pumping means you don’t feel it as easily. I think this is possibly where the stigma comes from?

Yeah I get that, Im 21 and a very slim healthy build and fast. 

Maybe so, my rig doesn't help either because I'm quite paranoid of whether I can actually feel the hits or not on it. As for adrenaline, that's a very good point, but I'd rather be pulled aside and told like 'yo mate you've been shot a few times and you've not called' then I'd understand and try harder to feel my hits. Better than getting shot by dead men and moaned about.

At the end of the day rushers have more to lose because its getting back into that position and rhythm of moving around the enemy side, compared to just a small walk to base and respawn for victims.

Sounds like you’ve done nothing wrong and they’re just being dicks.

I think the problem is, Speedsofters in general have a bad rep. Playing in the mill and level 2 at least, the speedsofters are irritating. Super rapid fire and huge overkill. That and they tend to not take hits when sprinting from one position to another so people categorise all aggressive play as speedsoft.

Funny speedsofter quote from last weekend: “They shouldn’t let people use .28’s.. it’s like being hit by a brick.” 😂

Certainly a valid style of play outdoors, never seen anyone react to it where I play.  I don't do much CQB though.

1 hour ago, Wo1f said:

Sounds like you’ve done nothing wrong and they’re just being dicks.

I think the problem is, Speedsofters in general have a bad rep. Playing in the mill and level 2 at least, the speedsofters are irritating. Super rapid fire and huge overkill. That and they tend to not take hits when sprinting from one position to another so people categorise all aggressive play as speedsoft.

Funny speedsofter quote from last weekend: “They shouldn’t let people use .28’s.. it’s like being hit by a brick.” 😂

I call every hit I feel and I even call it if I think its hit my rig, there is times where I see someone firing a bunch of rounds at me on a sprint but I've just called it because they'd think I'm cheating if I didn't, fair to say they missed though.

• Supporters

Basically your “young dumb and full of cum” and there just jealous wankers , think that about sums it up for me ?

i like players like you , you rush off all excited like an energizer bunny with an arc reactor shoved up his arse and while the enemies have a melt down over you getting into there area so fast crusty nackered old feckers like me can amble up and muller them from behind ! 😈 

keep up the good work my young Padawan ! 👍

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Supporters

If you're playing honest then its just bad sportsmanship on their part, any time i've had it happen either to me or by me (including yesterday when i somehow just walked round behind the enemy twice) there's a level of respect for "gg sir you sneaky bugger".

any decent player shouldn't be too miffed about being outplayed honestly, it's one of the great parts of the game. one thing i do tend to notice is a not insignificant amount of players assume shots to the back are freindly fire and play on, which isn't really how it should be.

Nothing wrong with that style of play as long as you call your hits and your not over shooting. Mistakes can be made of course, the gear we wear can often make it difficult to feel a hit and some folks can be very slow to react to being hit or don’t make it obvious they are out but such is life when it comes to an adrenaline fueled hobby like Airsoft.

It surprises me how salty some people can get though, why so serious? It’s just big boys and their toys having a bit of fun at the weekend, it’s not like real combat, dead  doesn’t mean dead just that your going to have to wait for someone to feel you up or wonder back to spawn. I have not played that many games since I started but not once have I found myself getting angry. I think some could do with a chill pill or smoke some weed or something.

So yeah, crack on and run around rushing etc, just means me n my fat ass can take it steady 🤣

• Supporters

If you're concerned that you're not feeling hits, I'd suggest switching to a belt rather than any sort of vest.  Or just fill your pockets with mags.

Folk can get shirty when they're taken unawares.  I was playing sneaky pistol yesterday in CQB and caught quite a few folk while they were standing around in groups in "safe" areas and planning their next great strategy.  Depending on perceptions, they may have considered it spawn killing, although a nearby marshal was kind enough to call it as good play.

So that's where I'd go if I were you - talk to a marshal or the site owner about the issue.  I'd start with asking if you're doing anything wrong or unwelcome, rather than opening with a complaint.

Other than that, don't sweat it.  Folk will play the way that they'll play - you can only control your actions.

• Supporters

If you rush you're a "sweaty cunt" and if you stay in one spot you're a "camper". I've been called both. Guess you can't please everybody! 

Nothing wrong with how you play. You're not breaking any rules or hurting anything other than their pride. Get stuck in and have fun. :)

People do not like getting hit!! 

As @Gepard said if your still your camping, if you move your a rushing bastard :D   People are never happy they get shot which  why I always try to make a point of shouting good shot or something when I get tagged..

I play similar to you, try to outflank or get among them, or push forward in CQB trying to get as close as possible most people dont have that play style and do not like it but its a legitimate part of the game. 

• Supporters

Joking aside I think it’s equal amounts of embarrassment that you’ve got the drop on them , incredulity that you’ve actually got there with out being seen and anger that you did both of these things ! 

You’ll hear some players muttering about the ‘gamer generation’ (some believe it and a lot don’t) but I do think it’s a real thing , time and time again I’ll see players at a game totally focused on 150’ area of vision in front of them (the same as if there playing on there TV) but totally oblivious to the rest of the gamezone so if you can get out to the sides of the site then you can just breeze past them and flank them ! Even an old duffer like me does it all the time , at last yrs NAE I worked my way up through the Rodo’s for a good 40mins , came out behind Bravo and then proceeded to move back down the field shooting players left right and Centre who were reacting with equal amounts of these reactions as well (even had one get really angry that I’d crossed to ‘there side’ of valley ! 🤦‍♂️) simple fact was they just weren’t paying attention period .

As suggested by many of the people above, I think the stigma of speed sifters also makes people angry. I think a lot of people consider Airsoft to be more tactical than paintball and more about being operator than playing a game. 

I personally, when I see a speedsofter, wish they were on my team as they don't wait behind corners as much as others etc and when a grenade goes off they run in compared to others who wait round corners so they aren't shot. 

I'll never play speedsoft properly but I have mad respect for the athleticism and cajones that they have

The anti speedballer syndrome exists in Paintball too

(There is also anti woodsball, anti electric, anti mechanical, anti pump, anti pistol, anti rental, anti kid, anti OAP, anti MagFed, anti milsim, anti recreational, anti airsoft, anti you’re different from me) 

It tends to be held by people up their own arse and / or those who don’t get their own way 

Go out and enjoy yourself and don’t worry about other people’s issues

.... and if anyone wants to tell you that speedsoft isn’t tactical and doesn’t belong in CQB....... A quote from another forum

The citation says it best,

“On three separate occasions Corporal Baird charged an enemy-held building within the prepared compound. On the first occasion he charged the door to the building, followed by another team member. Despite being totally exposed and immediately engaged by enemy fire, Corporal Baird pushed forward while firing into the building. Now in the closest proximity to the enemy, he was forced to withdraw when his rifle ceased to function. On rectifying his rifle stoppage, and reallocating remaining ammunition within his team, Corporal Baird again advanced towards the door of the building, once more under heavy fire. He engaged the enemy through the door but was unable to suppress the position and took cover to reload. For a third time, Corporal Baird selflessly drew enemy fire away from his team and assaulted the doorway. Enemy fire was seen to strike the ground and compound walls around Corporal Baird, before visibility was obscured by dust and smoke. In this third attempt, the enemy was neutralised and the advantage was regained, but Corporal Baird was killed in the effort.”

..... and to really upset some people, here’s a nice way to hold his rifle 

AD1730D6-B019-4E40-9C8C-B16D176F4BF0.jpeg

F2F55337-1C38-4A90-9C6A-505566EA0965.jpeg

I wouldn't say speedsofting isn't tactical though, I plan my route in a way that allows friendlies to push and gain positions, trading with a camper to regain rooms and what not. It's tactical play to be fast and efficient, rather than laying down 5 mags down a narrow corridor hoping for the best.

Kill house is quite small and there are only two main corridors leading to the enemy base either side of the dark room, if you managed to squeeze past everyone when there are only those routes I say good on you.

I can appreciate the irritation of being spawn camped though but if it's not against the rules then fair play.

9 minutes ago, Leader Bee said:

Kill house is quite small and there are only two main corridors leading to the enemy base either side of the dark room, if you managed to squeeze past everyone when there are only those routes I say good on you.

I can appreciate the irritation of being spawn camped though but if it's not against the rules then fair play.

How would you define spawn camping there though? I'd say if you're base is chrono side of the arena, then the couch room and tire stack next to it is acceptable. And for car side, moving around car across to light stacks is acceptable. I wouldn't hold the small angles that show enemy spawns, just catch them coming out of there side of the map into the middle so to say.

Edit - I've been killed my people who push my base but not spawn and I look up at it, it's quite difficult to get into such positions to begin with, let alone moving around in a fashion that you're not in the same spot, but predicting enemy movements against your previous ones. 

I think all in all I just wanted to get some opinion into the area of speedsofting and people who are super aggressive and fast. I see lot's and lot's of different styles of play, and taking advantage of in game weaknesses isn't my problem but yours. 🤨

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Leader Bee said:

It can be subjective, which is where spats might occur.  In my situation yesterday there were other routes available, and I was giving them the opportunity to emerge, take cover, or to spot and engage me.  When they all chose to clump up in the open about 10m from the spawn and chat, or to take cover facing the wrong way, it was game on.

However, from their point of view I might have been a spawn camping villain who was only capable of shooting them in the backs (with an AEP, just to add to the humiliation) before they were "ready".

It's really a matter for marshals and sites to deal with, to clear it up for everyone.

10 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

It can be subjective, which is where spats might occur.  In my situation yesterday there were other routes available, and I was giving them the opportunity to emerge, take cover, or to spot and engage me.  When they all chose to clump up in the open about 10m from the spawn and chat, or to take cover facing the wrong way, it was game on.

However, from their point of view I might have been a spawn camping villain who was only capable of shooting them in the backs (with an AEP, just to add to the humiliation) before they were "ready".

It's really a matter for marshals and sites to deal with, to clear it up for everyone.

Marshal was aware of what I was doing, and didn't say a word but laughed when I jumped because someone rushed me hahaha. However, the post was focused on player mentality towards speedsofters if it is allowed at said site.

I think it's fair to be irritated by a player on the enemy team who is always up your arse and knife killing you. However when it gets to the point where firing rounds at me when Im dead (multiple rounds on multiple occasions) shooting me when the games not even started and just laughing it off and in game rage (Heard someone calming him down I think) due to dying is a different kettle of fish. I've never seen that sort of anger in Paintball, nor Airsoft before. 

Archived