How powerful can an airsoft pistol get?

JS23
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I was wondering how powerful you could get a airsoft pistol due to as far as I can remember there are no legal requirements for the power of an airsoft pistol shooting plastic BBs. where as in the uk we are sadly restricted to air pistols which sometimes smaller shoot metal BBs or pellets and are illegal over 6ft.lb. so back to my point I was wondering if you could get a good airsoft pistol and mod the fuk out of it to intern get more power and not use it for regular airsoft matches. 

This was just a thought that dawned on me, if I don’t make sense it’s probably because I’m tired...

• Supporters

So you join the forum with a profile that’s well vague and comes across as being shady as  f**k and your first post is a request on how to make a pistol as dangerous as possible ? 

Please do one , and remember it’s back to school next week . 🤦‍♂️

Ok I see what you mean, but by no means am I doing anything dangerous with anything. I see I have came off on the wrong impression too. I’ll give a little backstory to myself, so I loved the army when I was younger probs due to going to some air shows. I had a few BB guns along with my brother. We loved shooting and I was even in the shooting team at cadets where we shot many rifles of course including the l85a2. Ive been shotgun shooting a few times. I’ve got a couple air rifles which I target shoot from time to time in a safe inviroment. I’ve been airsofting only once which I really enjoyed and would wish to go again especially watching airsoft videos on YouTube. My brother has a 1911 replica air pistol that’s alright but is kinda breaking. So I wondered if I could get a better pistol to quick shoot and that which just came across my mind.

also I highly doubt a airsoft gun would be that dangerous compared to something like a knife 🤦🏻‍♂️

Anyway im sorry if I scared you. I am tired af right now and I’ll probs wake up tomorrow thinking wtf have I done.

• Supporters

6ftlb is around 8j, and whilst you can get some serious power out of an airsoft pistol i doubt you'd be able to get even half that without seriously messing up reliability, after all many internal components are plastic and i've heard of cases where folks have managed to blow up nozzles at 1j let alone 8

Heavily modified maybe, but that's just going to cost as much as a dedicated air pistol, it wont be rifled (airsoft and the old school shooting worlds have very different definitions of the term "accuracy") and whilst i'm no legal expert i'm pretty sure it's going to raise more than eyebrows with the police (as in "improvised firearm" types of eyebrows)

If you want to do target shooting with a proper air pistol then do that, if you want to do some more 3-gun style action shooting then maybe check out airsoft's adaptation of ipsc which sounds like what your after but without the shady legality.

Tl:dr both physically and legally this is a bad idea

Thanks for your opinion on it, I wasn’t thinking about having a airsoft pistol of 8j, just more power out of a one anyway but it wasn’t something I was planning on doing anyway as it was just a thought.

ill take your advice onboard anyway, thanks again!

• Supporters

The legal limit to meet the mainland GB definition of an airsoft gun is 2.5J for single/semi auto, or 1.3J for fully auto.

Above that, and up to 6 foot pounds / 8.135J it's an air pistol, or 12 foot pounds / 16.27J it's an air rifle.

That's if it uses air (either HPA or a spring pistol to push air) or CO2.  If it uses any other propellant, such as propane (including $INSERT_COLOUR gas) it's not an air pistol or air rifle, which means that if it's over the airsoft limit, then it's a firearm.

Note that we typically talk about airsoft guns in terms of fps using 0.2g BBs, but there's no suggestion that this would be used as a legal definition.  I'd assume that if push came to shove, the prosecution would perform a test to find the maximum energy that the gun is capable of producing, generally the heavier the BB the better.  If Dibble drops a 0.5g BB in your gun and find that it's capable of shoving it harder than you thought it could, you don't get to call foul.

Archived