G&G Predator - clean barrel before first use?

MagpieTactical
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
On 02/01/2019 at 12:11, MagpieAirsoft said:

Asking because I have just had the maintenance report back saying the predator had stripped gears caused by a dirty barrel. It was brand new and didn't even last the days skirmish.

I suppose the problem is it could have got dirty in the morning.

“Of course I totally accepted this reason for my brand new gun going tits up on its first use and your telling me it’s my own fault , so yes I full understand I’ve voided my warranty and have lost all my money on it “ 👍

6C0AEBC2-DB1E-4670-A2FF-3A4D86AB3550.jpeg

I hope that isn't meant to suggest I am stupid. I haven't accepted that explanation, hence my post about it on here. 

I may be new to Airsoft and aegs, but I am not an idiot.

I have asked them various questions relating to this, and am awaiting their response regarding those.

My post was a simple question as to whether it was normal practice to HAVE to clean the barrel before first use.

My statement about the gun getting dirty in the morning is a fact, it could have.   But everyone here states that it would still not cause the issue pictured, and I have gone back to them with that info.

I am not naming and shaming unless they don't resolve to my satisfaction.  That was never the intention of the thread.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, MagpieAirsoft said:

I am not naming and shaming unless they don't resolve to my satisfaction

They've already tried to chump you with a literally ridiculous story.  Even if you get it fully resolved, that retailer should not be in the business of lying to their customers.

No, you do not have to clean the barrel, although I'd recommend doing so just for accuracy in case it's been spooged with Chinalube.

That first-use damage has been caused by misalignment or a material fault inside the gearbox which was present at manufacture.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, MagpieAirsoft said:

I hope that isn't meant to suggest I am stupid. I haven't accepted that explanation, hence my post about it on here. 

I may be new to Airsoft and aegs, but I am not an idiot.

I have asked them various questions relating to this, and am awaiting their response regarding those.

My post was a simple question as to whether it was normal practice to HAVE to clean the barrel before first use.

My statement about the gun getting dirty in the morning is a fact, it could have.   But everyone here states that it would still not cause the issue pictured, and I have gone back to them with that info.

I am not naming and shaming unless they don't resolve to my satisfaction.  That was never the intention of the thread.

No mate just calling uter bullshit on the shops response to you taking it back after it imploded . 👍

The only thing you can damage with a dirty barrel is your dream of hitting anyone at range.

Stripping a gear requires some effort though, you need to deliberately not shim anything at all and run it on 14.8s..

I always clean a new gun's barrel before using it, but that's just to remove any lube or manufacturing filth that may have made its way in there.

Get them to fix the gun and then avoid that shop at all costs.

I have asked for this to be fixed at no cost to me under warranty or a full refund and return the item as faulty.

They are basically saying it's my fault due to lack of or poor maintenance.

Will see how it goes but seeing as how I put in another order with them before this response, they could well be getting about £200 pounds worth of gear returned as well.

Worth emailing G&G as well?

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, Skara said:

Stripping a gear requires some effort though, you need to deliberately not shim anything at all and run it on 14.8s..

i have a 40k motor here that says you don't need 14.8's to eat gears alive :P

or batteries, or mosfets, or pistons.....

yeah it'll eat pretty much everything.......

• Supporters
1 hour ago, MagpieAirsoft said:

Facebooking, I'd guess, since their web site is currently hosed:

https://www.facebook.com/ggarmament/

What I'd be doing now is to formally reject the goods as not fit for purpose.  Don't bother getting into an argument with them about it, we've already established that they're liars.  What you're doing now is getting your ducks in a row for a chargeback via your payment processor.

2 hours ago, MagpieAirsoft said:

Will save you the effort looking for an email

[email protected]

'Apple' is likly to reply. Great english and very helpful. 

I have the email address, thanks though.

The only reason  I haven't this far contacted G&G is because it's retailer responsibility.  Obviously as I appear to be getting nowhere, perhaps GandG will put a rocket up their arse. 

• Supporters

Worth a try 👍

Tell them under the Consumer Rights Act (2015) it is not fit for purpose, as it was obviously defective. 

If you have had it less than 30 days you are able to get a full refund, after 30 days you can get a repair/replacement unless they offer more favourable terms (which seems unlikely 😉)

And if it's a known issue, they can take it up with the Manufacturer, your contract is with them (the retailer).

Cheers

G

Dirty barrel story could happen; bb jams in barrel causing an 'air' restrictions which stops the piston coming forward either fully, or fast enough and the sector gear trys to engage the piston half way along (where the damage has occured) instead of at the end of the piston.

You however shouldn't have to clean the barrel of a brand new aeg.

• Supporters
40 minutes ago, koppel said:

Dirty barrel story could happen; bb jams in barrel causing an 'air' restrictions which stops the piston coming forward either fully, or fast enough and the sector gear trys to engage the piston half way along (where the damage has occured) instead of at the end of the piston.

You however shouldn't have to clean the barrel of a brand new aeg.

Cant see how you'd get that much cack into the action of a new gun to make that happen in a single day.

Although granted it is possible, still reckon the aoe being off seems more reasonable.

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Although granted it is possible, still reckon the aoe being off seems more reasonable

Along with the fact that G&G pistons are known for their teeth stripping 

On 04/01/2019 at 13:12, Adolf Hamster said:

i have a 40k motor here that says you don't need 14.8's to eat gears alive

I have a 35K that I run on 7.4's and it double feeds :D the 40K would probably run on AA's!

I wouldn't worry too much about the gun been broken. Needing repairs out of the box is definitely a manufacturer issue. There are a number of things that could cause it, but all of them pretty much fall down to poor quality control in the factory.

The excuse of dirt causing the failure is false. The barrel would need to be jammed up solid, Stopping the piston from traveling forward fully. And even then it would eat the piston, not the gears.

The gears themselves could be the fault. They make them using a sintered steel technology (powdered metal casting). Chances are you got a gear that wasn't baked correctly or has a contaminant in the material. I wouldn't worry about it too much. There will be a batch of bad sector gears out there somewhere, the chances of it affecting all of the gears in the gearbox are very remote. Provided the gun tech cleans out the gearbox correctly, replaces anything that is damaged and sets it all back up to go, you should be golden. In fact, it should be better than out of the box, As the tech will shim the gears, put better grease in, and correct any bucking issues. So you have in effect got a free gearbox tune.

• Supporters
On 05/01/2019 at 11:55, koppel said:

Dirty barrel story could happen

What sort of dirt are you supposing has got into a brand new barrel that would cause a BB to jam tight and form a complete air seal?

If OP managed to drop it barrel first and plug it solidly with clay (deep enough to go past any flash hider), maybe.

Given that he asked about whether he should have cleaned it, rather than whether dropping it into 3" of clay could have caused a problem, I'm thinking not.

4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

What sort of dirt are you supposing has got into a brand new barrel that would cause a BB to jam tight and form a complete air seal?

Shite from the factory, swarf, grease, etc. Hence my second sentence;

"You however shouldn't have to clean the barrel of a brand new aeg."

I know this failure mode is possible as it happened to a TM sig552 of mine, the gun however was 3 or 4 years old at the time.

Archived