G&G Predator - clean barrel before first use?

MagpieTactical
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As the title really, and I guess this is for any G&G M4/AEG

Are you supposed to clean the barrel before first use?  I am sure the instruction book didn't tell me to do this, but can't find an online manual to read.

Anyone tell me if I should have done this? Or if the manual says to do this?

Help appreciated.

Asking because I have just had the maintenance report back saying the predator had stripped gears caused by a dirty barrel. It was brand new and didn't even last the days skirmish.

I suppose the problem is it could have got dirty in the morning.

No, hence why I am asking if I should have cleaned the barrel first.  

Edit: just re read the report it was the piston teeth, not the gears. My bad.

36 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

am i the only one here wondering how a dirty barrel nets you stripped gears? :huh:

Nope, you’re not alone! 

25 minutes ago, MagpieAirsoft said:

Still wouldn’t be caused by a dirty barrel. 

Some GC16 guns didn’t have the AOE set properly at the factory, should be covered under warranty. I was told about this when I bought my wildhog. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, jcheeseright said:

sounds like the person who fixed it is talking shit, dirty barrel will cause accuracy problems but it'd need to be completely blocked for there to be any chance of gearbox damage and even then it's pretty unlikely. 

the only remotest possibility i can think of is dirt making it's way all the way through the nozzle into the cylinder then jamming it somehow.

although how it achieves that with a constant pounding of compressed air going against it is beyond me.

as you say, poor accuracy and even jamming but even then it shouldn't be capable of damaging the actual gearing.

I did read that but don't really get it. Does that mean if the piston was replaced it will just happen again?

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, MagpieAirsoft said:

I did read that but don't really get it. Does that mean if the piston was replaced it will just happen again?

If that's all they did and it wasnt a stronger piston then quite likely yes.

If they corrected the aoe then its still possible but it will improve things

1 hour ago, MagpieAirsoft said:

If they didn’t correct the aoe then yes it will happen again. 

13 hours ago, MagpieAirsoft said:

Very common to happend on the CM/GC 16 piston. 

• Supporters
On 02/01/2019 at 12:11, MagpieAirsoft said:

I have just had the maintenance report back saying the predator had stripped gears caused by a dirty barrel.

And to whom should we never, ever give our business?

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

And to whom should we never, ever give our business?

Well it would probably be lesson learnt most would say, and I am not one for naming a retailer when they are still dealing with an issue.  I will give them a chance to respond etc. 49895333_403802417027483_5726145377933983744_n.thumb.jpg.14a2d27cf64118298e98978740d066a3.jpg

The piston apparently caused by a dirty barrel.

10 minutes ago, MagpieAirsoft said:

Well it would probably be lesson learnt most would say, and I am not one for naming a retailer when they are still dealing with an issue.  I will give them a chance to respond etc. 49895333_403802417027483_5726145377933983744_n.thumb.jpg.14a2d27cf64118298e98978740d066a3.jpg

The piston apparently caused by a dirty barrel.

That piston damage is not caused by a dirty barrel.

I would also love to know the place that has said this. 

I'd also love a detailed explanation from them as to how the dirty barrel caused the piston issue.

I mean if that's what they claim they should be able to explain how one leads to another (which they can't.... lol).

1 hour ago, MagpieAirsoft said:

Yes because it was returned under warranty  (or that was the intention)

Then it should be covered no matter what it is. Guessing it’s not that old as you said it failed on first skirmish. 

Tell them you are aware it’s a common issue that should be covered under warranty (place I bought mine actually extend the warranty on the piston) and if they won’t do it then tell them you want a refund. 

Archived