NOT project: JG MP5SD6 - Partial Upgrade.

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A little while ago I picked up a JG MP5SD6. I love the look of the thing, an absolute classic. 

However compared to my mates one (Who bought his at the same time as mine), it is a little lacking in the old QC department. The FPS is a good 20 down on his, likely down to the air seal.

Mine has the usual Hop lever issue where the adjustment slide pulls back when the AEG is being used due to the vibrations of the gearbox.

The fix is something called a Strike Kit by Laylax (First Factory). This adds a new hop arm, rotary dial and O-ring to help prevent It from adjusting itself.

65599-2.jpg.fb05d6933db86ee9103be010cb886107.jpg

After some exploratory research it has become apparent that the only way to access the hop unit is to practically disassembly the whole rifle in a very convoluted way. Even taking the handguard and cocking assembly off was a complete nightmare. So I would rather do a few gearbox upgrades whilst I am at it so I hopefully wouldn't have to take it apart again! 

IMG_3542.thumb.JPG.5d800e906d03ffe08a0a3e1bfeb27322.JPG

Here it is in its current unloved form. It already has a Tokyo Marui EG1000 motor installed replacing the Anaemic JG standard one. This has picked up the ROF and quietened it down a bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the list of parts I currently have ready to go in:

Laylax Strike Chamber kit

HK Quick Release Magazine catch

Guarder Cylinder/head, Piston/head kit. 

Guarder Air Nozzle

Tokyo Marui Scope Rail

Lonex Sector Delayer Chip

G+P Polyamid Low Resistance Selector Plate

SHS V2 Spring Guide with ball bearing. 

Mosfet

ZCI 6.02 inner barrel. 

FMA CW Tracer Unit. 

ICS SD Handguard rail system

Prometheus purple bucking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It may be a few weeks before I can get going with this as I dread opening it, but we'll see what happens!

Now picked up the ICS SD tactical handguard. Ugly as sin but the best option for attachments. (Apologies for the EHobby logos)

17983_4.jpg.bc1dd468a5335398ce5f432fedfa57c2.jpg

Also picked up the prommy purple bucking. So all the parts needed have been ordered!

Bought a CA mp5sd recently on the classifieds as my first project gun. Loved it since watching Navy Seals as a kid.  Will be following your progress closely.

That handguard tho, theres simply no words to describe it.😂

20 minutes ago, lukeB said:

Bought a CA mp5sd recently on the classifieds as my first project gun. Loved it since watching Navy Seals as a kid.  Will be following your progress closely.

That handguard tho, theres simply no words to describe it.😂

I call it "The Chin" I think the foregrip makes it worse, will be replacing with a stubby one asap! Add a torch and other accessories and it will be at least be hidden somewhat!

Unfortunately I have only managed to find the GARS handguard in one place in the world, its in Spain and they are asking 150 euros for it!

Otherwise its the cable tie a rail to the handguard deal. 

Unfortunately the FMA Tracer unit I was told was a CW thread tracer, was actually just CCW. :( Need to revisit ideas of installing a tracer. 

Bit of a long shot but if it’s the same diameter could something like this allow you to swop the thread connector out to allow it to fit as it comes with both options?

https://www.softairgames.net/en/silencer/10641-silencer-14mm-cwccw-vltor-type-107mm-black-fma-fma-tb704.html

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:04, Stodgy said:

Bit of a long shot but if it’s the same diameter could something like this allow you to swop the thread connector out to allow it to fit as it comes with both options?

https://www.softairgames.net/en/silencer/10641-silencer-14mm-cwccw-vltor-type-107mm-black-fma-fma-tb704.html

I thought of that, unfortunately the connector part is very different between the two. 

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:01, Prisce said:

Tracer Hop? Wired in to trigger contacts?

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

I have asked Landwarrior, they can do both implantation of tracer unit into the original suppressor, or possibly hop unit, but they will get back to me to confirm. 

Seeing what you have done so far, I’m pretty sure you can do this one yourself too. 

Heck if I can, anyone can.

1 hour ago, Prisce said:

Seeing what you have done so far, I’m pretty sure you can do this one yourself too. 

Heck if I can, anyone can.

I think its one of those jobs i'd like a professional to do. Its not something I would want to bodge! 

I've simply dropped a XT301 into my suppressor.

I guess it's cost me the price of the tracer, but it's easily removed onto other guns between games.

20190104_171410.thumb.jpg.000c2a8ef2879addd690e494fecd996b.jpg

Not sure what length my barrel is but it sticks out enough for the suppressor and then tracer to sit on top, without intruding inside the tracer cavity.

20190104_172808.thumb.jpg.df644f2fbe4e24dcb03e749903a5061f.jpg

Three of the original 6 foam pads hold the tracer in place inside the suppressor.

Suppressor seems to work just as well with half the foam.

20190104_171429.thumb.jpg.2f8d28f24f8b5e5b4b8a1b52566b9325.jpg

20190104_171731p.thumb.jpg.7c69f0250d10aae893f33af4e2041613.jpg

I'll probably cut some foam to surround the tracer to make sure it never moves inside suppressor, but sitting on the inner barrel seems to be enough to keep it straight.

Accessing the on/off button takes a couple of seconds to remove the end cap and slide everything out.

4 hours ago, lukeB said:

I've simply dropped a XT301 into my suppressor.

I guess it's cost me the price of the tracer, but it's easily removed onto other guns between games.

20190104_171410.thumb.jpg.000c2a8ef2879addd690e494fecd996b.jpg

Not sure what length my barrel is but it sticks out enough for the suppressor and then tracer to sit on top, without intruding inside the tracer cavity.

20190104_172808.thumb.jpg.df644f2fbe4e24dcb03e749903a5061f.jpg

Three of the original 6 foam pads hold the tracer in place inside the suppressor.

Suppressor seems to work just as well with half the foam.

20190104_171429.thumb.jpg.2f8d28f24f8b5e5b4b8a1b52566b9325.jpg

20190104_171731p.thumb.jpg.7c69f0250d10aae893f33af4e2041613.jpg

I'll probably cut some foam to surround the tracer to make sure it never moves inside suppressor, but sitting on the inner barrel seems to be enough to keep it straight.

Accessing the on/off button takes a couple of seconds to remove the end cap and slide everything out.

Thanks for the post. Your suppressor seems a bit different to mine though. Mine is all glued together. No easy way of getting it apart without a hot air gun. 

18 minutes ago, Cipher-032 said:

Why not use an adaptor?

I want to try and keep the look of the MP5SD. With one adapter its acceptable. With two adapters that turn the opposite way, its just ridiculous. 

My god how disgusting. Massive battery compartment though. Sturdy too. 

I have to drill into the original handguard support. One chance at this and could go horribly wrong. Not certain of how well it would be secured it would be even if successful....

IMG_20190107_181114.jpg

IMG_20190107_181123.jpg

IMG_20190107_181147.jpg

Its butt ugly and I love it. It's a nightmare to take on and off which makes battery changes a real pain, but I can put a huge battery in there if needed. All the rail space I need. The foregrip really needs to be changed to a stubby.

Think this might go better with the solid stock.

TheChin.jpg

MP5 was shipped off.

I also asked them to install all the other stuff on top of putting a tracer in the hop unit, trying to take apart and put back together the Mp5 was fraught with danger and that was just the front end! Just cant be bothered to screw up and desperately find parts to fix what I break! 

I'll let you guys know how it comes out though! 

• 1 month later...

Any update on the MP5?

I'm in the process of installing a titan gate in mine along with some internal and barrel upgrades.

Ended up buying a e&c qc gearbox shell as I found it a nightmare to put back together, especially knowing that I'd probably need to try a few springs to get to 350.

Got it all built, then part of trigger that the spring sits in snapped off whilst doing a chrono. So waiting for parts again.

I think my next aeg is going to be an AK.

• 1 month later...

The MP5 is on its way back now. Hop unit Tracer installed as well as all the new compression parts, hop parts and barrel. It was a longish delay in getting the work done, but have been given a big discount on it as apology so I am a pretty happy bunny! 

I should get it on Monday, which is when I will install the additional scope rail and mag release extension. We'll see how well it fares!

Got it back, the ROF on a 9.9v LiFE is incredible. Firing at 350FPS on the dot, The TM motor is really doing well to push it along. The Tracer modification is pretty damn good as well, ultra bright and doesn't shine as much light down the barrel itself so I can stay relatively concealed in dark areas without my position being given away. 

The hop unit however still adjusts itself within seconds of full auto, so it needs to go back to the tech. We are looking at a TDC mod to completely side step the inherently bad MP5 hop design. 

• 9 months later...

Who done the work on your mp5 as I’m having trouble finding parts to work in mine and your post is very helpful. 

2 hours ago, TANGO said:

Who done the work on your mp5 as I’m having trouble finding parts to work in mine and your post is very helpful. 

I sourced all the parts myself apart from the Tracer parts. Alan at Landwarrior did the work. 

How did you remove the front hand guard? I’m having a hard time think mines if fixed I’ve the solid stock variant. I’ve included a picture for reference 

EC892365-DC41-4F7A-973B-7C7C77116090.png

Archived