Which Sight

Keldon
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have a G&G TR16 MBR 308SR create_image.php?i=10281

I want to get a new vortex sight for it but not sure to go for either the telescopic sight crossfire 2 at £118 but need mount as well. 

vortex_Crossfire_ii_2-7x32.jpg

Or do I go for the strikefire 2 Red dot for £163 but comes with mount. 

vortex_strikefire_ii_red_dot.png

I play in all environments from CQB to woodland so each sights has its pros and Co s just not sure which to go with, so many thanks in advance to you all. 

I wouldn't have either of those TBF.

For a 1x red dot I use a walther ps22. They run at about £90, but I was given mine. I wouldn't pay that for airsoft. I would look for a china part clone.

You can grab a 1x red dot with cantilever mount for under £20.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Green-Dot-Tactical-Reflex-Sight-4-MOA-with-Rail-Mount/113370067479?hash=item1a6561f217:g:ByMAAOSwrpJb6n-~:rk:2:pf:0

The most important thing with an airsoft scope is the magnification. The standard 3-9x scopes are a little too powerful to get a good indication of flyers and BB drop. You can use them but it's much harder work.

I prefer lower power scopes. 1-4x   1.5-4x    2-7x They have the advantage of been close to a regular red dot at the lower power, but offering enough zoom for the inaccuracies of airsoft. Anything more than 4x isn't very useful in my experience.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tactical-Recon-Monocular-Telescope-Scope-1-5-4X30-Waterproof-Picatinny-Rail/142661853309?epid=705572126&hash=item21374f207d:g:nZQAAOSwRWZcHeuZ:rk:3:pf:0

https://www.solware.co.uk/hawke-vantage-2-7x32-ao-mil-dot-scope

I would certainly not spend over the odds on a scope that is going to be shot in CQB. Cheap and cheerful, Easy to replace, near disposable. For woodland I will put on a more expensive scope with some lens protection. The hawke 2-7x I would probably use in CQB. The only issue you might have is it's not illuminated. Otherwise it's a scope designed for target shooting air rifles. So it's accurate and should hold a good zero.

I know they are abit overdone for airsoft, but I like the idea of buying once and not have to worry about if it get blown out or damaged in any way. As the warranty on them is excellent lifetime if broken, repaired or replaced. 

I must admit if I went for the telescopic one I would most likely not use it for cqb and just use the iron sights. Red dot I would use in cqb but not sure if that be as good in the field/woodland as the telescopic one. 

10 minutes ago, E21A said:

I highly doubt any manufacturer is going to cover a sight getting shot out under warranty! 

Vortex do. Virtually every airsoft shop that sells them has it listed as such too. Why spend £50 on a crappy replica that you throw away once it’s shot out when you can buy a RS one that will literally last a lifetime. 

21 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Vortex do. Virtually every airsoft shop that sells them has it listed as such too. Why spend £50 on a crappy replica that you throw away once it’s shot out when you can buy a RS one that will literally last a lifetime. 

Correct vortex has an amazing warranty and I can but one of these fit to any RIF I want and never have to worry about buying another to replace it, as vortex will do that for me. 

Just check out vortex UK on instagram or Facebook and you will see they say it themselves if it's shot out they will repair or replace it. 

3 minutes ago, Keldon said:

Correct vortex has an amazing warranty and I can but one of these fit to any RIF I want and never have to worry about buying another to replace it, as vortex will do that for me. 

Just check out vortex UK on instagram or Facebook and you will see they say it themselves if it's shot out they will repair or replace it. 

Well colour me fucked! That does surprise me, good on them! 

Im still not spending that sorta money on an Airsoft optic but it’s nice to see a company stand by there products. 

3 minutes ago, E21A said:

Well colour me fucked! That does surprise me, good on them! 

Im still not spending that sorta money on an Airsoft optic but it’s nice to see a company stand by there products. 

Yeah its really nice. I must admit if I didn't have the money to burn and the warranty wasn't as good I wouldn't be buying it either. 

But back to the real question which one? 

Unless it’s for a sniper/DMR (which it isn’t in your case) I’d go with the red dot. 

If youve got the money for a vortex see if they do a reflex style sight, I much prefer those as you get a wider field of view 

I’d go for the dot too. Unless you’re regularly hitting people over 60m away, the dot will be better suited

I agree, I've started taking the Elcan off  unless using a DMR, in fact I don't even bother with the red dot anymore.

Cheers

G

2-7x32.

If you have the money get the scope rather than the red dot. It's cheaper, It'll suit the gun your mounting it on more. And at 2x you can still use it like a red dot without an issue.

The other reason is a cheap 2-7x isn't going to be as good as the vortex.

A cheap red dot on the other hand is going to be almost as good as the R/S one. All it is doing is providing a surface for a dot to be projected onto.

The question you have to ask however is what model. There are currently 3 vortex 2-7 scopes.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p123885-vortex-crossfire-ii-2-7x32-rifle-scope-cf2-31003/#.XCdsFWmYRog

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p128376-vortex-crossfire-ii-2-7x32-riflescope-v-plex-reticle-moa-cf2-31001/#.XCdsFGmYRog

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p124409-vortex-crossfire-ii-2-7x32-scout-rifle-scope-cf2-31002/#.XCdtpmmYRog

I'd be very tempted by the more expensive scout scope just for the eye relief. With that much relief you would have absolutely no problem using it like a red dot.

From what I've read about your RIF, the range is crazy. The phrase "anti-sniper" has been used about it.
So imho ,forget about using it in CQB and concentrate on where it will excel - outdoors!
Which of the crossfire 2 scopes are you looking at, cos they come in all sorts of flavours...

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 variable scope...comes with best warranty ever..no matter how old the scope or how it's damaged..they will fix/replace it for free!  No brainer....

20180901_213804.jpg

20180901_214142.jpg

Pic above is at x1 zoom..x6 is great!!

Hmmmmm, I just bought a nice scope in the sales, that isn’t a Vortex but comes with a lifetime damage replacement guarantee. They only guarantee the electronics for five years though. Sig Sauer.

• Supporters

If it's your only rifle and you're 100% going to use it both inside and out, then there's 3 options:

1 - Get the red dot which will work indoors and out, you can always buy a flip-to-side magnifier later as well if you find you want magnification.  That will depend on your eyesight and related considerations.

2 - Buy a longer range scope for outdoor and just don't bring it to CQB.  You can use the provided BUIS if you really want, but the fact is you're slower using a sight at about 15-20m or less vs instinctive aiming, so there's no need.

3 - As suggested get something that adjusts from 0/1 up to 4 or 6 power, which is as close to a do-all optic in a single package as you can get.

Nobody can pick for you though, personal preference.  Both the red dot/mag combo and the 1-6 type variables are in service with all sorts of SF units the world over because both setups are as good as you can get with the technology we currently have.  You get a better sight picture through the variable for longer range work vs the magnifier, but it's not quite as efficient for CQB as the red dot when the magnifier is flipped down.  There is no perfect solution, just what you fancy.

Vortex is the brand to go for all things considered, certainly if you just want to invest in something one time then never have to worry about buying another optic ever if you don't want to.

Hi Keldon, I've come from this from the other side I need a backup CQB that I will be playing mix CQB/outdoors.

I've gone with a  red dot with a flip-to-side magnifier. Strikefire 2 Red dot plus Vortex 3x magnifier great cobo and contrary to the US reviews on it the magnifier does fold down completely flat allowing full left and right eye view when just using the red dot. Some yanks have mounted it in reverse as they didn't think it could fold completely out of the way?

My main CQB tool of choice has a Crossfire on it

In over 10 years I rarely needed a magnified optic while playing.

Out of 4 guns now I have dots/optics only on 2, my arp (because for some reason I can't aim down irons on it) and my striker, which has a 4x cheap optic.

If you're willing to spend money, get the short dot, it's the best of both worlds and being a RS optic I'm pretty sure the quality is bonkers. Just don't use it when you play cqb, as the engagement distances are so small you have a higher risk of getting the lens shot out. Vortex warranty is awesome but it's still a pain in the butt to send the scope away for replacement (even if it's 100% free of charge)..

Archived