LiPo and old AEGs

Jimbodini42
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

Most of research I’ve seen has been about RC cars so thought I better ask on here - sorry if this is a bit stupid! 

I’ve got a 18 year old Tokyo Mauri MP5 A5 that is still working despite many years of storage - however the batteries, old NiMH/ NiCD ones while still charge up can barely turn over the motor. 

Can I use LiPo in the old gun? I always used 8.4v batteries in it so take it best to go 7.4v LiPo? 

My new SopMod is set to Deans, as is my charger so is it safe to turn my connection in MP5 to Deans too? 

Many thanks 

• Supporters

Safe and recommend to put deans connectors on it.

It will run perfectly fine on 7.4V lipos. It may be worth servicing the gearbox though!

• Supporters

As prisce says it'll run fine, although possibly the gearbox might need a bit of tlc before being subjected to a hammering.

Deans or equivalent is just a flat must have for any aeg imo, tamiya might have been current when that gun was made but we have better choices now.

Only thing about lipo on an airsoft gun (much like in rc) is beware of not having a low voltage cutoff, you can get away with it just be sure the moment the rof starts to drop you stop using it immediately and dont just blast till it jams.

Thanks guys! 

On 28/12/2018 at 10:04, Adolf Hamster said:

Only thing about lipo on an airsoft gun (much like in rc) is beware of not having a low voltage cutoff, you can get away with it just be sure the moment the rof starts to drop you stop using it immediately and dont just blast till it jams.

I actually did this by mistake on first run through with my new AEG with one of my LiPo batteries - I was in midst of being attacked from all angles and panicked! Should I be worried about my battery from just the one occurrence?  

On 28/12/2018 at 10:04, Adolf Hamster said:

As prisce says it'll run fine, although possibly the gearbox might need a bit of tlc before being subjected to a hammering.

Do you recommend a full strip out and clean up and lube? Never done my gearbox before. I’ll have a look at rest of guides on the forum. However are there any telltale signs I should look out for it needs doing if I just try the LiPo battery straight in? 

Thanks 

Put it on to charge and see what happens. If a lipo drops too far its dead but you may get away with it. Try a balance charge first, if I wont charge because one cell is too low try charging it on a NiCad setting for a little while to see if the voltage comes up then balance charge it.But keep an eye on it while you do, don't leave it unattended . If it starts to swell or smoke get the power off and get the battery outside just in case.

1 hour ago, Nick G said:

Put it on to charge and see what happens. If a lipo drops too far its dead but you may get away with it. Try a balance charge first, if I wont charge because one cell is too low try charging it on a NiCad setting for a little while to see if the voltage comes up then balance charge it.But keep an eye on it while you do, don't leave it unattended . If it starts to swell or smoke get the power off and get the battery outside just in case.

Ta! 

Archived