FTS/Flip Up magnifier lens protection

Sharpe_95
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys,

I am sure many people have argued the various merits/lack of merits of magnification lenses before. Having made the decision that I want to get one more because I think it looks good than becuase it has much (if any) practical benefit, I've started wondering about protection (of the lens!).

I appreciate my 'gucci' look will be somewhat spoilt by the addition of a protection lens in front of the hollosight, but it seems a sensible if unsightly thing to do.

My concern is that while I can protect my hollow lens from that potentially damaging shot that hits it square on, I can only protect a flip up/Flip to side magnifier lens while it is set up behind the hollosight. 

As I will likely be 50/50 between the magnifier being behind the sight or flipped up/to the side in any given match, I really need to find a way to protect the lens of the magnifier while it's flipped up and away from the hollosight.

Taking the sight off is not an option. Putting the protective cap/lens cover that comes with the magnifier is also not an option. Nor is fitting any sort of cover/sock over the unit while in the 'up' position an option. 

I know screw on lens protectors exist for camera lenses. They are just plain glass so you have a cheap/disposable means of protection. But from what I can tell the magnifier lenses don't have this kind of attachment available to them. 

So my question is - how do people protect their magnifier lenses or is it just a case of hope it doesn't get damaged?

Many thanks, and Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night ;)

• Supporters

Make one. 

O ring the same size as the “screen”, get a bit of plexiglass/ Perspex cut to the size of the “screen”, make it tight, then just push it in.

Jobs a good un.

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Of course, you meant to say polycarb / Lexan.  At the sherry early?

Meh, I use Perspex, got a job lot a few years back from a factory closing down, it’s 6mm clear, nout can damage that. 

Lexan is the stuff to use, but I’ll use this up first.

And yes a touch early, think I started the 12th Dec 1999?

Archived