SCARs: There are many, but which one (should) be mine?

Sharpe_95
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone,

Thanks to those that posted great advice on my MP5/Scorpion thread :)

In that thread I mentioned that I am getting into the sport and am doing lots of research well in advance for when I am ready to buy what will likely be my first and only AEG (space/wife restrictions).

My instinct based on play style and for aesthetics is to go with an Ares SLR possibly with SMG for closer stuff and to double for CQB environments. However, I would like to test/confirm a theory here to see what you good people think and then to ask some advice on a specific type of AEG.

My theory is: On the assumption that the DMR SLR is not going to add a huge amount of range over and above a conventional assault rifle type AEG (is this a reasonable assumption?), might it be more pragmatic to just get an assault rifle type AEG?

This is not my preferred line for many reasons, but one I would like to explore it with you guys. To that end;

THE EXAM QUESTION(S):

- Money no object - what is the best SCAR-L on the market at the moment (ideally out the box)? [For me best is, in priority order: 1) Reliable 2) Good internals 3) Good externals 4) Good balance of range/accuracy]

- Which SCAR maker does the most reliable SCAR-L (ideally out the box) - ie, which one will go the longest without breaking and/or be less of a 'problem child' over say 3-5 years?

- How much more range would I get from the Ares SLR vs a SCAR? - Based on reviews online it seems to be around +10-20 yards, which does not seem like a lot to shout home about for a pure DMR 400+ fps AEG vs a 'standard' sub 350fps AR?

- TM SCARs seem to offer very long range despite lower FPS (thanks to elves and pixy dust it seems), would the SLR still out perform it in terms of range/accuracy? 

- I understand servicing TMs can be expensive/difficult owing to spare parts availability. Are the TMs going to hold together better/longer than another type of SCAR?

- Any other advice/pointers on the SCAR-L side of life?

Many thanks in advance :)

• Supporters

TM is the only one worth talking about. 

I have one, it’s been battered, bruised and abused and it still performs surprisingly well. I have owned my Scar for 3 years in January, and I purchased it second hand, and I have only just decided to service it this winter as it performs flawlessly still.

Go and test on in a shop. 

You may be able to buy a cheaper scar, but you won’t get a better performer.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Sharpe_95 said:

How much more range would I get from the Ares SLR vs a SCAR? 

As Prisce said ‘out of the box’ you won’t get a better Scar L than a TM (had one my self for a good few yrs , amazing AEG) but with your question your making the same mistake a lot of new players do .

There not all the same , sounds obvious but  you’ve asked “Ares SLR V a Scar” , as I’m sure you realise they may all look the same on the outside but inside ? BIG DIFFERENCES ! At one end of the spectrum you have the TM which’ll out range most on the field straight out of the box but on the other end you’ll find a Chinese clone that’ll have difficulty out ranging a pistol , and there’s a few different ones in between .

So really if you want someone to tell you which one to buy you need to be a bit more specific as to your budget and expectations on up-grading from the Scar as there’s only one AES SLR but multiple Scars to choose .👍

40 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

As Prisce said ‘out of the box’ you won’t get a better Scar L than a TM (had one my self for a good few yrs , amazing AEG) but with your question your making the same mistake a lot of new players do .

There not all the same , sounds obvious but  you’ve asked “Ares SLR V a Scar” , as I’m sure you realise they may all look the same on the outside but inside ? BIG DIFFERENCES ! At one end of the spectrum you have the TM which’ll out range most on the field straight out of the box but on the other end you’ll find a Chinese clone that’ll have difficulty out ranging a pistol , and there’s a few different ones in between .

So really if you want someone to tell you which one to buy you need to be a bit more specific as to your budget and expectations on up-grading from the Scar as there’s only one AES SLR but multiple Scars to choose .👍

Hi Druid,

No i am aware of the differences between OEMs. But your quite right, my post is rather poorly constructed. So i shall try again based on your comments above:

Technically I am asking two questions:

1) Would a top end SCAR (lets say TM for now) be very similar range/accuracy wise to the SLR? This will influence my decision on getting an SLR or a SCAR. This is sans cost/reliability/OEM comparison etc, purely based on out the box performance of range/accuracy only. The only way I can make an informed decision here (without testing/buying both) is to find someone with both, or who has seen both used who can provide a view.

This leads to my next question, which assumes there is no reasonable difference in range/accuracy between the SLR and, say, a TM SCAR-L. As in this case I would sack off my idea of getting the SLR and go for an assault rifle, probably a SCAR - because whats the point in having a 400+fps DMR (with all its limitations) if it is being out performed/not providing much better performance than a sub 350fps assault rifle? Thus question 2;

2) What do people think is the best out the box SCAR-L on the market ATM (quality and performance wise), what are they like to live with over time (will it break a lot)?

As stated in the OP, money is not a factor. 

As you rightly point out, I have not stated my intent upgrade wise. For clarification:

My hope is to never touch the internals of either option, short of repairs, which I am hoping to keep to an absolute minimum. I appreciate this could unfairly/unnecessarily limit what could be a good SLR with some work, but I dont want the (potential) hassle that goes with getting the OEM parts taken out and other parts put in to improve it, as from what i can tell this can make the gun less reliable.

Hence my desire to find out about the 'lifetime' reliability of the SCAR-Ls being compared. Eg, yes, a TM is quality out the box, but in 2 years your going to be replacing stuff because it has more things to go wrong than say the non EBB Ares SCAR-L which you can jump up and down on and immerse in goose fat every day and will still work 5 years later while never once taking it apart (ok, extreme, but hopefully you can see what I am driving at here?).

• Supporters

Check with your likely site(s) for their DMR energy limits.  You'll find anywhere from "350fps for all auto/semi auto," all the way up to 500fps (my new local site, which is why as a boltie user I've just sacked it off).  At the low end, don't bother, at the high end, I don't see why you'd use anything else.

Pixie dust aside, 425fps / 1.67J is 48% more than 350fps / 1.13J.  It's 88% more than a 310fps / 0.89J TM Scar L.

You may have faith in the brand name on your toy gun, but the BBs only care about the physics, which starts with the puff.  Yes, the accuracy is determined by the hop unit and barrel, but even if you end up replacing those, you'll likely still come out less than you'd spend on a TM.

Usual question: how much have you actually played?  I wouldn't go sinking hundreds into a toy gun until you're sure that airsoft is for you, and you know how you like to play it.

• Supporters

Now thats more like it ! 😉

only speaking from personal experience , TM hands down no hesitation at all .

the Aries SLR is just an amazing gun to look at/hold and use but ultimately it’s very limited in how you can use it as is out of the box , FPS is over 400 so your stuck with sniper engagement ranges , it’s semi only so you would be stuck in the DMR/sniper role BUT if you do stick a scope on it to use it as a DMR then a lot of players will hunt you down for committing such vile heresy ! 🤮

thing is (for me anyway) there is no such thing as the DMR role in Airsoft , the role in the real world is a member of the section who’s there for when a more accurate shot is needed at an intermediate range , that doesn’t happen in an Airsoft game due to the low ranges we play at . When come down to it you’ve got players with bolt action/high FPS locked to semi AEGs in the sniper role and then everyone else ! 😂

Me personally I’d get the TM (but I’d get the Scar H , more DMR looking) stick a nice short dot on it and enjoy ! 👍😁

Druid,

Many thanks, your post is absolutely spot on. 

Your thoughts above that DMR does not really exist in AS is exactly what i am driving at. My view is that unless you can gain at least 30 or 40 yards with the SLR on a standard assault rifle then frankly the idea is pointless because its only a couple of steps/leap and bounds (from either person) and all of a sudden that range buffer is completely gone and your into a realm where rate of fire becomes an issue.

Its a shame, as i really wanted to go with the SLR for the 'wow' factor it has (call me an old softie, but it just looks good and I really want to shy away from the M4 overload). But it seems that's not to be.

Ah well. Might look at an SMG like the Scorpion, especially if (as RogerBorg says) the fps is similar to that of an AR and thus the bb is likely to have similar range (if not accuary, but i think there are some longer barrelled scorpions out there). This might be the way to go if not the SCAR. Just want something i find aesthetically pleasing that is not an M4/AK that gives me some extra range.

The best scar is the WE scar H gbbr 😎

but the TM scar’s are the best AEG scars by a mile. The WE and VFC have slightly nicer plastics, but shear performance the TM annihilates them. FPS means nothing when it comes to range. I’ve got a Tm recoil. 340fps and it’s throwing BB’s past 65m with .36. All you need for max range is a matched barrel/cylinder ratio for a heavy BB 

14 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

The best scar is the WE scar H gbbr 😎

but the TM scar’s are the best AEG scars by a mile. The WE and VFC have slightly nicer plastics, but shear performance the TM annihilates them. FPS means nothing when it comes to range. I’ve got a Tm recoil. 340fps and it’s throwing BB’s past 65m with .36. All you need for max range is a matched barrel/cylinder ratio for a heavy BB 

Not entirely true, it’s not as important as people make out, but it does have an effect. 

53 minutes ago, E21A said:

Not entirely true, it’s not as important as people make out, but it does have an effect. 

It’s joules that determine range. The energy the B.B. carries. For example.. you can make a gun shoot 400 FPS with a cylinder that isn’t matched to the barrel. But as you add heavier BB’s the energy will lower and lower like reverse joule creep. 

In contrast, my gas mk12 mod 0 shoot just under 400 FPS on a .20. But if I put a .40 BB in it the joules climb massively, which is why I get really good range on low FPS

• Supporters

Mmm, fair point.  Gas guns operate on a different set of magical physics.

I really wish that sites would chrono with 0.4g or higher to take this into account, but we are where we are.

When comparing piston guns against each other, like-for-like comparisons using our grandaddys' 0.2g BBs do matter though.

28 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Mmm, fair point.  Gas guns operate on a different set of magical physics.

I really wish that sites would chrono with 0.4g or higher to take this into account, but we are where we are.

When comparing piston guns against each other, like-for-like comparisons using our grandaddys' 0.2g BBs do matter though.

Even AEG’s do it to an extent. A standard recoil looses joules when using really heavy BB’s at stock. With a balanced cylinder/ barrel you don’t loose energy

Archived