Hello from the United States! Former Brit here, used to live in London.

SAS1988
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi ! I'm a former citizen of London turned US citizen living in the south of the United States, and I've caught the bug of airsofting. 

I've recently purchased a Softair M4 platform AEG. It contains the required orange tip per US law. 

Where I am puzzled is that I see airsoft companies selling nice tracer units that screw on to the barrel. 

My rifle's orange flash hider appears to be superglued onto the barrel. 

Does that mean I need to purchase a whole new rifle in order to be able to purchase and use a bb tracer? I've tried the magazine type tracer unit and the bb's don't come out shiny at all; I guess the LED intensity isn't nearly bright enough. I'm not certain how to remove the orange tip without some serious heating or solvents. 

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).   

Calling @SeniorSpaz87 our US tech guru to assist.

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

There are vids on youtube on how to remove these, depends on the gun and how it was attached.  Some unscrew easily, others are super glued on, etc.  If you have a metal outer barrel, it's not too bad if it is glued, not so good if it's plastic.

AFAIK all new airsoft guns in the US come with the orange tip, so not sure buying a new gun will help, unless you get a used one.

I've also seen the rules on the orange flash hider vary from state to state, so check your local laws.

There is also the option of a tracer unit on the hop up, I just bought one, works fine as it is powered off the main gun battery, lots of DIY options on the web too.

Cheers

G

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

Welcome :).   

Calling @SeniorSpaz87 our US tech guru to assist.

First check if it has a hex screw anywhere along it. Second, if its glued on I suggest heating some water up and soaking the tip in it. Heat breaks down Superglue so thats one way around. Which AR did you get specifically?I know a few of the cheaper-brand guns sometimes are truly permanently fixed. Also, where abouts in the South are you? I bounce around between TN, FL, and GA a fair bit.

SeniorSpaz I am in Mississippi, and I purchased a Colt M4 type airsoft rifle from Softair. I was just considering rookie level toy, for junior gameplaying =D 

When looking closer at the bottom, it appears to be affixed to the rifle barrel by some sort of C shaped rivet. It's not a screw. 

If you have any insight into the upgradability of this device please do share. Thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters
On 20/12/2018 at 21:46, SAS1988 said:

SeniorSpaz I am in Mississippi, and I purchased a Colt M4 type airsoft rifle from Softair. I was just considering rookie level toy, for junior gameplaying =D 

When looking closer at the bottom, it appears to be affixed to the rifle barrel by some sort of C shaped rivet. It's not a screw. 

If you have any insight into the upgradability of this device please do share. Thanks. 

Yea, Softair aint anything to write home about... Use it to shoot squirrels off your porch or something, but it wont cut it in a game. Generally youre looking at $250-$300 for an entry-level gun. I would recommend the VFC Avalon - check the Hop Up app or the FB pages to find one slightly used and youll be set.

Archived