Buyer pays fees

Druid799
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

What the seller is offering is an item, NOT a sales package, unless they state otherwise. Therefore the price you should see is for the item only. The buyer should expect that the expense of getting the item to them is an extra charge. It is no different whenever you buy anything online or in any transaction where extras are offered.

If someone is genuinely interested in an item, any normal person would ask about postage if it is not stated in the price. If that comes in too pricey, you negotiate. It is really simple and I find it strange that people cannot understand this.

The only valid argument here is that the buyer should never be expected to cover any PayPal fees, and I totally agree with that.

The buyer should only be liable for the cost of the item and getting it shipped to them if they cannot collect. If the seller wishes to use a payment method that costs them, they cannot pass that charge onto the buyer because the fee is not a direct result of a choice made by the buyer. The seller chose to have a service with a fee, not the buyer. 

• Supporters

While I find it baffling that sellers advertising on a national forum rather than a local group would assume that collection is likely, let along the default scenario.

Or that they'd ask the buyer what courier they'd prefer to be used, given that the risk of posting is entirely on the seller, as is the contract with the courier.

Should I ever go insane in the membrane and buy used again - and this discussion is an exemplar of why I probably won't - the only thing I'd be asking a seller to do is to send me a PayPal invoice for goods and delivery, then deciding whether I want to pay that or not.  The logistics and costs of posting is something that the seller should know before advertising the items, not after hearing from an interested buyer.

I mean, that's if they want to get a sale.  It's no skin off my nose if they want to make it easier to just buy new.

The final thing that it comes down to is the amount of money a buyer is willing to pay

If all the costs are shown then the buyer will

decide if it’s worth that to them

£10 postage and 3.4% PayPal fees don’t turn an object worth £100 to being worth £114.60, but if a seller wants £100 in their pocket they are going to have to ask that much or only have a face to face sale.

There aren’t many things that cost more to order online then in the shops.  People won’t much pay for the convenience of having things delivered to the door, much more likely to go to the shops to check out items, then go online to pay less

• Supporters

In the end it comes down to expectations, when I see a price for what ever I expect it to be the only price involved in the transaction (as do many others) and other expect only the price of the goods to be advertised and all other costs are added on later . So I think it’s safe to say it’s a ‘I believe this and you believe that and neither of us will change on the subject’ topic ?

I don't see the issue tbh. For example I've sold thousands of quids worth car parts lately (via forums and Facebook) and every single one I've posted I give the buyer the option of adding fees or sending as a gift (I'm pretty well known in certain car communities which helps) and always say buyer pays postage. Not once has anyone had an issue.

Advertise for the price you want collected, if they want posting and paying via Paypal, they add fees, it's not at all hard, and I won't be changing anytime soon (why the hell should I lose out because the buyer wants protection?) In all honesty if someone had a hissy fit about paying a few quid in fees I'd more than likely just delete their message and sell to someone else.

I think it's rubbish to add fees, just say the price and send it insured.

If you want to stick a tenner on the price just do it, I don't need to know.

It's a negative sales technique and over complicates a simple process.

People are supposed to feel good about buying something. Not distracted by the seller being a skinflint.

Can I ask, how does adding the fees and postage on (if the buyer decides this) make the seller a skinflint? As that makes literally zero logical sense.

If doing a very basic sum over-complicates things to the point you won't buy it, I think a quick trip back to Primary School maths class is in order.

I'm genuinely intrigued as to why this is such an issue for some on here, as I've never seen anyone have issue with it on any other forum/marketplace I've been on

2 minutes ago, Slamz said:

Can I ask, how does adding the fees and postage on (if the buyer decides this) make the seller a skinflint? As that makes literally zero logical sense.

If doing a very basic sum over-complicates things to the point you won't buy it, I think a quick trip back to Primary School maths class is in order  

I said to 'say the price and send it insured' - I never said the postage should be included in the price - just the fee.

The cost of the fee is what I consider 'Skinflint', just write it into the price. Like you said it's a very basic sum.

It's not the fact there is a fee but that it should just be worked into the price. It's only my opinion.

There's no need to be an arrogant child about disagreeing with a post so quit with the Primary School bollocks.

9 minutes ago, Immortal said:

I said to 'say the price and send it insured' - I never said the postage should be included in the price - just the fee.

The cost of the fee is what I consider 'Skinflint', just write it into the price. Like you said it's a very basic sum.

It's not the fact there is a fee but that it should just be worked into the price. It's only my opinion.

But why would you work a Paypal fee into a price for something that may be collected? Expecting a seller to pay buyer protection on a posted  item isn't tight in any way, seems like quite an ignorant way of looking at it, but that's only my opinion 

9 minutes ago, Immortal said:

There's no need to be an arrogant child about disagreeing with a post so quit with the Primary School bollocks.

Someone's touchy 😂😂

8 minutes ago, Slamz said:

But why would you work a Paypal fee into a price for something that may be collected? Expecting a seller to pay buyer protection isn't tight in anyway way, seems like quite an ignorant way of looking at it, but that's only my opinion 

Someone's touchy 😂😂

LOL :lol: We could keep this up all night but it's fair to say your not even going to try and read what I posted.

No I'm not touchy. Ha! You aren't that effective. Jeez, a skinflint with a big ego to boot. It just get's better!

• Supporters

What it comes down too is there’s a fair few of us in the Airsoft community (can’t comment on any other hobbies as this is the only one that I do that has an on-line presence) who see the addition of Paypal fees and P&P costs AFTER interest is shown in your sale is just wrong if you don’t agree that’s your choice .

but please don’t try and belittle anyone for disagreeing with your opinion .

opinions are like arseholes everyone has one and to be honest I’m not interested in yours ? Thank you and good night ! 

How about looking at this from a different angle, would you be as annoyed by this subject if you advertised something including fees and postage to then be asked by any potential buyers how much you’ll knock the price down if they collect? 

Just a thought. 

9 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

What it comes down too is there’s a fair few of us in the Airsoft community (can’t comment on any other hobbies as this is the only one that I do that has an on-line presence) who see the addition of Paypal fees and P&P costs AFTER interest is shown in your sale is just wrong if you don’t agree that’s your choice .

That's fair, maybe it's more of an isolated issue within few communities.

9 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

but please don’t try and belittle anyone for disagreeing with your opinion .

opinions are like arseholes everyone has one and to be honest I’m not interested in yours ? Thank you and good night ! 

I enjoyed the hypocrisy in this, thanks for the laugh!

2 minutes ago, E21A said:

How about looking at this from a different angle, would you be as annoyed by this subject if you advertised something including fees and postage to then be asked by any potential buyers how much you’ll knock the price down if they collect? 

Just a thought. 

This is a good point, honestly selling on the internet is a nightmare, whatever you do you'll get moronic questions. Don't forget the 'how much would you take CASH for this' as if cash (in capitals for effect) is somehow worth more to a private seller than bank transfer etc.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Slamz said:

I enjoyed the hypocrisy in this, thanks for the laugh!

Wasn’t aimed at you , was to all of us , but guilty conscience ?🤔

5 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Wasn’t aimed at you , was to all of us , but guilty conscience ?

You wrote 'to be honest I’m not interested in yours' in the reply after mine, and you're going to try and say it wasn't aimed at me? 😂 But fair enough if it wasn't, you must have aimed it at everyone on this forum, which begs the question, why create the thread in the first place? ;)

Anyway I think this pointless argument has gone far enough and we should agree to disagree and get on with our nights 😘

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, Slamz said:

You wrote 'to be honest I’m not interested in yours' in the reply after mine, and you're going to try and say it wasn't aimed at me? 😂 But fair enough if it wasn't, you must have aimed it at everyone on this forum, which begs the question, why create the thread in the first place? ;)

Anyway I think this pointless argument has gone far enough and we should agree to disagree and get on with our nights 😘

Tried raising that very point several posts ago ! I Started the thread for a discussion on the subject not a “I know better than you argument” ? With a few but there ya go say’la’vie. 👍

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

While I find it baffling that sellers advertising on a national forum rather than a local group would assume that collection is likely, let along the default scenario.

Or that they'd ask the buyer what courier they'd prefer to be used, given that the risk of posting is entirely on the seller, as is the contract with the courier.

Should I ever go insane in the membrane and buy used again - and this discussion is an exemplar of why I probably won't - the only thing I'd be asking a seller to do is to send me a PayPal invoice for goods and delivery, then deciding whether I want to pay that or not.  The logistics and costs of posting is something that the seller should know before advertising the items, not after hearing from an interested buyer.

I mean, that's if they want to get a sale.  It's no skin off my nose if they want to make it easier to just buy new.

It seems you potentially did not read or understand any of my points.

To reiterate - What the seller is offering is an item, NOT a sales package, unless they state otherwise. Therefore the price you should see is for the item only. The buyer should expect that the expense of getting the item to them is an extra charge. It is no different whenever you buy anything online or in any transaction where extras are offered.

I never assume collection is likely at all. I'm simply advertising the price of my item.

I never suggested I'd ask what courier to use. Yes, onus is on me to ensure the goods are dispatched adequately with sufficient insurance, but the buyer can have the choice to modify the delivery of the goods; they may ask for next day delivery, a Saturday 1pm delivery or any other option that is more expensive than a standard courier option and, as such, it affects the final price.

The postage costs are variable. It is an extra cost on top of the item for delivery. The buyer can influence this cost.

EVERY remote transaction is handled this way. Why on earth should it be any different for advertising used items? I'm afraid it is you who has the flawed idea of how transactions work.

You say that, should you go this route to buy again, you would just ask for an invoice that includes postage. This is hilariously ironic, seeing as this is no different to asking about the postage cost in your initial enquiry and questions about the item! Seriously, if someone really cannot be bothered to ask me questions about my item, discuss preferred delivery and negotiate, then they really aren't that interested in my item, and I would rather not waste my time trying to deal with them. As I said earlier in the thread; that money is worth less to me than that held by a genuine enquirer.

And I iterate again, regarding other posts since my last; PayPal fees are never acceptable to pass on to the buyer. Ever. You have chosen to offer that option to the buyer, as a backup or not, so it is your choice, not that of the buyer. If you do not wish to incur potential transaction fees in your sale then only offer options that do not include fees.

1 hour ago, Slamz said:

...Don't forget the 'how much would you take CASH for this' as if cash (in capitals for effect) is somehow worth more to a private seller than bank transfer etc.

I get this A LOT in my line of work. Seriously, cash is my LEAST preferred option!

The only time asking for a price 'for cash' is when you think the seller would likely prefer this transaction off-the-books, for whatever reason.

Asking the same thing in an online transaction is laughable!

What a clusterf**k of reading. Seriously, we are an internet forum here, not a school playground. I appreciate people have different opinions, that's cool. But bitch talking and sassing each other over something as ridiculous as this, come on? Anyone would think we were British and our country could be brought to standstill by a remote control toy...... oh wait......

On topic, I have bought and sold a ton of stuff through internet forums. I have learnt to just advertise a price for the item and it's delivery (a best guess, flat rate, you may make a quid, may loose a quid situation), and if the buyer is outside of the UK, I simply ask for it to be paid to me in GBP which they take the hit for the conversion on. Simple pricing is better for all. Like I say, if I loose a few quid on postage, I ain't gonna loose sleep over it

• Supporters

Has Duff snuck back in with a new username ?, such a likable fellow 😏

Archived