TM Recoil M4 SOPMOD - Thoughts/Unbiased reviews please!

Smooth_Operator
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi team,

I'm seriously considering taking the jump to a TM Recoil (after owning a TM G36, G3 and PSG-1 over a decade ago).

I've seen some reviews of the M4 SOPMOD on Youtube and read a good few online, but they all seem to be pretty biased (i.e. a review for a free gun from TM) - so I'm hoping to get some unbiased opinions from here.

My main question is: Out of the box (i.e. with no upgrades) how does the gun perform? 

The TMs I had before were outstanding, even compared to most AEGs these days - so I totally understand that you get what you pay for and that TMs are some of the best AEGs out there.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, 

I don't own a Sopmod but I do have a 416 delta custom and a scar l cqc. 

Like all TM's recoils the out of the box performance is better than most guns on the market. I do know players who swear by keeping their Recoils standard and the difference in performance is barely noticeable unless you have invested a lot of time and money into the gun. Mine shoots very well and I would strongly recommend any recoil as a first recoil. 

Mine are both upgraded now and I have never used either standard. But I hope this helps. 

Mo 

• Supporters

I have both the Sopmod and the Scar L. 

Both are great out out of the box, you don’t need to upgrade them, I had the M4 upgraded with Firesupports Spring upgrade service, just to try and eek a little more out of it.

Would highly recommend.

• Supporters

Have to ask bud have you been in a long term coma ? The TM recoil platforms are the most talked about Airsoft guns ever ! You say you could only find a few ‘biased’ reviews on it , well even if you only put the tiniest amount of more time into your research (even on this very forum ! 😱) you’ll find HUNDREDS of unbiased reviews of it over the past 9-10yrs .

BUT seeing as it almost Christmas 

is it the best out of the box ? My self and a hell of a lot of other plays say a very big yes it is .

does it need to be up-graded ? No it doesn’t NEED to be but if you want too crack on .

is it worth the money ? Yes and no , me personally I think the ‘special edition’ ones are over priced for what they are but the ‘normal’ most definitely. 

• Supporters

Buy & use it, dress it up & make it pretty but don't touch the inside, if you open it up the magic pixies will escape 😏.

on a serious note, if there was a gun I liked, & it was more than say £150-£200 ?,but all the reviews said it needed "upgrading" to make it useable, I wouldn't buy it, most of the tech we use has been around in various forms for a considerable time, so if manufacturers R&D people can't knock out viable kit, they don't deserve our wonga, we shouldn't have to be thinking about sorting it, that's their job.

• 3 weeks later...

Love mine and really rate it. 

I personally haven’t noticed too much in terms of difference in performance compared to other AEGs - they could hit me and I could hit them. Found most important thing is more how you play in terms of there being any significant difference between myself and another player regardless of what AEG they’re running. Though having said that, I don’t think I’ve got hop up fully set to entirely maximise its potential range. 

I will say though - the sound it produces is so much better than the other pew pews and you definitely stand out amongst other players running non-recoils. 

If if you’ve got the money, go for it. If you’re going to over stretch yourself I don’t think it’s the be all and end all. I could have got all my kit and extras with the money saved by buying cheaper but I really wanted the recoil and Sopmod ticks all boxes really. 

Regards 

JM

Thought I’d ask in here rather than start a new thread as thought potential answer to this Q might help you decide too - 

Anyone know if you can get non TM Mags for the Sopmod?

im sure I read when I was researching which AEG to buy that you can use other mags but it won’t initiate the bolt stop feature meaning you’d fire dry. If this is true which other mags can you use? 

Got Stirling in March and need more midcaps and wondering if I can get them cheaper than the £22 on the TM ones. 

Regards 

JM

@Jimbodini42Anyone know if you can get non TM Mags for the Sopmod?

I personally suggest that you look at the PTS mags for the following reasons 

1, Still enables the bolt stop function 

2, Polymer casing so reduces the weight slightly 

3, 120 round capacity so nearly 50% more than the standard TM Mags and only slightly more money available in Black or Tan

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/pts-epm-marui-recoil-m4scar-magazines-black120-rnd

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/pts-epm-marui-recoil-m4scar-magazines-dark-earth120-rnd

Hope this helps 

Mo 

14 minutes ago, mogaly674 said:

@Jimbodini42Anyone know if you can get non TM Mags for the Sopmod?

I personally suggest that you look at the PTS mags for the following reasons 

1, Still enables the bolt stop function 

2, Polymer casing so reduces the weight slightly 

3, 120 round capacity so nearly 50% more than the standard TM Mags and only slightly more money available in Black or Tan

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/pts-epm-marui-recoil-m4scar-magazines-black120-rnd

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/pts-epm-marui-recoil-m4scar-magazines-dark-earth120-rnd

Hope this helps 

Mo 

Legend!

Just for clarity and benefit of anyone else wondering  - do any M4 mags fit? 

• Supporters

If I had to give up everything from my TM M4 but keep one thing , I’d keep the bolt catch .

Archived