Air seal, what next?

Polluxtroy69
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ive looked on the search but not finding what i need

I think ive sorted the airseal out on my G&G GC16 Predator. It had always lacked that punch that I expected it to have out of the box (lowest: 285fps on 0.20g). Last week i opened up the gear box, checked the air seal on the piston; which wasnt great. Ive sorted the O ring on the piston making it tighter. Tightened up the piston head with some plumbers tape and the seal feels much harder on the piston now. All put back together and after a few hundred rounds of BBs on 0.20g its now chrono'd at 328 (+/-5). Whats next for the RIF? (Only upgrade is a madbull V2 tightbore barrel that has been professionally cut and crowned by an engineer as my wifes factory).

Could i reduce the +/- or am i being too picky?

Could i do something to increase that FPS to closer to 345. 

Or should I be happy with my results? 

Cheers people. 

Dave 🍻

Just so when I increase my BB weight i wont drop too low on FPS - which I know isnt everything. 

I just didnt want to up my BB weight on 285 fps from 0.20 - 0.25/0.28 wgich is what I am looking for. 

I have tried a maple leaf yellow but that caused feeding issues. 

• Supporters
37 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Why do you need 345? even 285 on a .20 bb isn't a bad thing

345 is 46% more kinetic energy than 285.

Physics doesn't believe in airsoft magic.

10 minutes ago, Polluxtroy69 said:

Just so when I increase my BB weight i wont drop too low on FPS - which I know isnt everything. 

I just didnt want to up my BB weight on 285 fps from 0.20 - 0.25/0.28 wgich is what I am looking for. 

With the right hop/nub/barrel combo on 328fps .28's will fly

17 minutes ago, Polluxtroy69 said:

You need to trim down the feed lip on the maple leaf hop rubber. Well worth doing as they are great when used with the omega nub. 

46 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

With the right hop/nub/barrel combo on 328fps .28's will fly

39 minutes ago, E21A said:

You need to trim down the feed lip on the maple leaf hop rubber. Well worth doing as they are great when used with the omega nub. 

Ill get  to work on this at some point over Christmas then. Just need to dig out the bucking and nub. 

Cheers all!

18 minutes ago, Polluxtroy69 said:

Ill get  to work on this at some point over Christmas then. Just need to dig out the bucking and nub. 

Cheers all!

Easiest way I’ve found is to put some sandpaper on a flat surface, fit the bucking to the barrel and gently rub is back and forth. Keep checking it by putting it back into the hop unit to see if it blocks the feeding route of the BBs. 

• Supporters

short version is:

1. run heaviest ammo you can afford, i generally run .3's in my rifles

2. upgrade your hop to a flathop or rhop to lift aforementioned heavier ammo (flathop is easy and cheap to do)

3. upgrade your fps to be as close to your site limit as possible (energy is energy and more is better, but only if you're gun is able to use it to actually hit things at long range, which is where the ammo/hop comes in)

a good quality barrel will certainly help groupings (and consequently your ability to hit a target)

i wouldn't advise trimming the feedlips on a hop rubber, very easy to introduce an air leak that will undo all of your air sealing work so far.

1 hour ago, E21A said:

Should have got you to do mine, after buggering up 2, gave up and switched to prommy purple.  Extended flat hopped now, so only need the Maple leafs for my G36c, which I still need to fix 😉

30 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

short version is:

2. upgrade your hop to a flathop or rhop to lift aforementioned heavier ammo (flathop is easy and cheap to do)

3. upgrade your fps to be as close to your site limit as possible (energy is energy and more is better, but only if you're gun is able to use it to actually hit things at long range, which is where the ammo/hop comes in)

a good quality barrel will certainly help groupings (and consequently your ability to hit a target)

i wouldn't advise trimming the feedlips on a hop rubber, very easy to introduce an air leak that will undo all of your air sealing work so far.

Not much choice if they block the feed tube 🤷🏻‍♂️ Great having a good airseal that’s got nothing to push down the barrel 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, MisterG said:

Should have got you to do mine, after buggering up 2, gave up and switched to prommy purple.  Extended flat hopped now, so only need the Maple leafs for my G36c, which I still need to fix 😉

Should have said on sunday mate, more than happy to do it for you. 

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, E21A said:

Not much choice if they block the feed tube 🤷🏻‍♂️ Great having a good airseal that’s got nothing to push down the barrel 🤦🏻‍♂️

true, which is why i gave up on the maple leaf rifle hops, their pistol stuff is excellent but a simple flathop can give equally performing results without anywhere near the hassle.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

short version is:

In short (for me) im on the right lines when it comes to what i am trying to achieve?

Fantastic read up by the way, brought back some maths lessons and brought on a bit of a head ache but well worth the read. 

Its my first gear box I have opened as I do like to tinker - lots and lots of youtube videos have been watched too. 

47 minutes ago, E21A said:

Should have said on sunday mate, more than happy to do it for you. 

No worries, this was a couple months back.  My ICS guns don't seem to like maple leafs, as the gun is now flat hopped, I don't need maple leafs in it.

The lips were fine in the G36C.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Polluxtroy69 said:

In short (for me) im on the right lines when it comes to what i am trying to achieve?

Fantastic read up by the way, brought back some maths lessons and brought on a bit of a head ache but well worth the read. 

Its my first gear box I have opened as I do like to tinker - lots and lots of youtube videos have been watched too. 

you're certainly on the right track, chuck some .3's (or heavier if your wallet can take it) in there and see if the stock hop can lift them well.

given you've sorted the air sealing upgrading the fps is going to be a case of changing springs (cracking open the box again), up to you if you want to take the additional wear and tear that'll bring.

i'd start with the ammo and hop, see if you like the results and if you still want to push further than you can look at springs.

Nice one Adolf Hamster. I think spring upgrade will come at some point along with upgraded piston etc. 

Ill grab some .28 / .30 at somepoint then. See how she gets on. 

Again thanks for the reply 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Polluxtroy69 said:

Nice one Adolf Hamster. I think spring upgrade will come at some point along with upgraded piston etc. 

Ill grab some .28 / .30 at somepoint then. See how she gets on. 

Again thanks for the reply 

no problem man, we're limited to 1j (328fps) here so i've spent a lot of time squeezing every last drop of range from my guns (with some hilarious results, i've had mates guns be accused of being hot when i worked on them myself and know they're fine)

Archived