Head Camera

BloomBoy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Here's a similar thread you might want to read: 

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, BloomBoy said:

Doesn't really give me any recommendations on a camera that i can buy. Thank you anyway 😀

On 11/06/2018 at 07:20, Gepard said:

A few to consider are the GoPro Hero series, Runcam 2, Contour Roam series and the Mobius Action Camera. Sure you might be able to find some decent cheap ones such as the YI Action Camera but you'll most likely sacrifice a lot of the quality - visual and audio - in the process if you don't pick right. 

• Supporters

Try one? Just because others haven’t had luck with one you might. I’d be tempted at looking at one of the £30 ones and give it a go. If it’s not what I’m after then I’d consider the go pros!

• 2 weeks later...

Look at the SJ Cam a direct competitor to the Go-pro.Cheap with all the functions you will need,Go-pro accessory compatible.Bluetooth,4K,etc,etc.I use mine with a power pak and a 32GB card giving 16hrs+ runtime.There is an excellent website with a forum and on-line updates.

I have seen the difference between the cheap knockoff ones and the proper GoPros, I would say you can tell the difference, but unless you are looking to make 4k movies from your footage the cheaper ones are much much better value for money

• Supporters
7 hours ago, snuff said:

Look at the SJ Cam

Be aware that there are now knock-offs of those kicking around.  Given that the SJCams are... strongly inspired... by GoPros, it's hard to make a moral argument, but in practical terms, ensure that you get something that's actually SJCam branded, don't go by the listing title.

I got this for Christmas.

Akaso EK7000 4K edition. I’m very happy with it, fantastic picture and photo quality, but the proper test is when I go Airsofting.  I will try it out in the forest today, if I get a chance and report back.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

[the image quality of unspecified models of GoPro is so much better than the image quality of unspecified models of] SJ 4000 or similar knock offs.

Based on what experiences with both?  Which models?  Where would we see side-by-side footage?

Don’t waste time with clones or GoPros, a starter should go for a Red Dragon entry level 5k camera at under $20,000

https://www.red.com/DSMC2-DRAGON-X-Camera-Kit

There’s always a camera that’s ‘better’ and a starter is always going to upgrade at some point so there’s no arguement to support telling a starter to buy the best now, as they don’t yet know what’s best for them.  By the time they use those better features there will be something new, or they bought the wrong ‘best’

Best sensor, lens, battery life / changeability / charge speed, daylight performance, night performance, light to dark transition, easy access on/off button, confirmation on/off beep, ability to switch off or hide LEDs (giving you away in the dark)

Are WiFi, Bluetooth, back screen and live view of any value or just a waste of battery life out in the field?

What are the options for protective cases, mounting positions - GoPros won the market by being in the right place at the right time with a compact camera that became the go to camera in tv production - not due to ‘quality’ but by being good enough to be used where TV cameras couldn’t go

Most action camera footage goes to YouTube and is viewed on little phone screens of a few inches.  Any action camera made in this century is more than adequate for that

My first ‘good’ action camera was an AEE action cam with a complete range of mounts, battery and screen for a fraction of the cost of the genuine GoPro that it had a copy of the chipset inside.  I received a phone call the night before a game as Adam had picked one up in passing to check out.  Then I stopped off at Maplins in the morning on the way for a camera and memory card, set it up & charged it in my hotel that night and had dark/light transition video in Drakelow tunnels on the Sunday 

My Hero 3 silver is still going strong :)

bought it when it came out and, apart from the battery being stupid, it didn't miss a beat.

Used it for all kinds of activity, from Scuba Diving to MTB to Skiing to, of course, Airsoft.

Doesn't have any super duper 40k resolution or 250k FPS (it can capture either 1080x30 or 720x60) but for what I need it's just fine.

Nowadays any camera present on the market works just fine, as seen by the gazillion videos uploaded on YouTube..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived