G&G MP5a5 vs ASG Scorpion Evo

Sharpe_95
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone. 

Looking into getting an SMG. I am new to airsoft but I am just trying to get some specific feedback on these two guns in the hope of helping me select one.

General internet searches seems to imply they are equally good - what do people here think? Is this true, what are they like to 'live with' etc?

As context, my intent is to get a DMR rifle such as the Ares SLR or LCT G3a3 as DMR will suit my game style and local field - as well as for aesthetic reasons. I will probably have a sidearm (glock 17 or similar) for close stuff if needs be.

However, I would like to enter the sport with an SMG before I go for the DMR. This will also allow me getting to take part in CQB or act as a rifleman when a change of pace is wanted (once i have the DMR) or a change of field dictates not using the DMR, as well as the SMG acting as a back up weapon when I am DMR'ing (if such a verb exists).

The two SMGs I am looking at (as title) are the G&G MP5a5 and the ASG Scorpian Evo 2018. I am ideally looking for a small/compact SMG with a variable length stock but that is as small as possible in case I need to carry it with a long arm (so no silencer, short barrel, as compact as possible, but with a stock, hence not the MP5k).

I am trying to get some feedback on what people's view is of these two guns and their makers (perhaps someone owns both?). My key considerations that I am interested in (in no order):

- Reliability/durability (ideally out the box, but once upgraded if really necessary).

- Quality of internals/externals.

- Manufacturor/gun reputation

- Battery life (ideally out the box, but once upgraded if needed).

- Accuracy.

- Rate of fire.

- FPS (site limit is 350 for full auto so if the guns are higher than this out the box it will require a spring change).

Things that are not an issue:

- Cost

- 3 round burst

Links below to the specific guns:

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/gt-advanced-tgm-a5-mp5-a5-railed-blowback?pv=3154

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/asg-cz-scorpion-evo-3-a1-2018-revision?pv=7062

Thank in advance for taking the time to share your collective wisdom. 

- Sharpe

I have just bought an Evo a1  2018, stuck an Acetech At1000 tracer on it and gave it it's baptism of fire yesterday at a full day of CQB, 

Love it to bits,  Trigger is nice and responsive,  tracer laser beams 👍. the only gripe I had all day was the Ambidextrous fire selector mean't it was very easy to knock it on to safe or 3 round burst as my knuckle caught it, may look into deleting the right hand side selector with a real steel blanking plate.

Had an TM MP5 a3 and a K many moons ago, loved em to bits, but  broke a few charging handles with the famous MP5 Slap. 

Just my opinion,  but I went for the EVO for aesthetic and it's mechanical revisions.

My misses owns a TM MP5, it’s nice, accurate, but old school.

I had an HPA Evo in the summer, ridiculously nice gun, basically an AEG without a battery. 

I’d go Evo all day if I had to choose between these two guns

• Supporters

I’d get the MP5 , every man and his dog gets an evo and the mags are a lot cheaper for the MP5 plus as it is a G&G you know it’ll be a reliable run for ever not let you down Gun .👍

7 hours ago, GrimSqueeker said:

only gripe I had all day was the Ambidextrous fire selector mean't it was very easy to knock it on to safe or 3 round burst as my knuckle caught it, may look into deleting the right hand side selector with a real steel blanking plate.

Bane of my fecking life!! I normally knock it onto safe as I jump out on someone and wonder why they are not calling hits, get laughed t for not shooting, then get shot!

19 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Bane of my fecking life!! I normally knock it onto safe as I jump out on someone and wonder why they are not calling hits, get laughed t for not shooting, then get shot!

Yep, happened to me aswell......... That and my TRMR not going off, ( my fault, not dropping it right).

Was very close to grabbing an Evo over the summer.

They are probably the best non TM AEG out of the box tbh. Do not think you would go far wrong tbh.

2 hours ago, GrimSqueeker said:

That and my TRMR not going off, ( my fault, not dropping it right).

dont get me started lol

MP5 purely purely because whilst I want to like the Evo I can't get over those silly looking mags on it. 

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the advice - I was moving towards the MP5 but the overwhelming support for the Scorpion has made me really stop and think.

Will probs make a decision in about a month or so (once Christmas dust has settled) - ill let you know where I land ;)

Thanks again and happy Christmas and New Year to all.

Archived