Tracer unit stuck to kit with expoxy resin, (wasn't me)

Compulsive Reload
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, 

Backstory incase interested. 

So I bought a pistol off someone awhile back and didn't essentially get what I paid for, was promised all good with sas kit and tracer etc, turns out he had glued the tracer to the sas kit as it broke stuck, opened a case etc and ended up settling on a partial refund.

So, I have tried acetone and a even a knife to no avail to get it off.

Any recommendations? As of now its chilling in a draw.

Cheers

Adam.

IMG_20181216_002729.jpg

IMG_20181216_002744.jpg

IMG_20181216_002756.jpg

IMG_20181216_002759.jpg

IMG_20181216_002803.jpg

IMG_20181216_002811.jpg

• Supporters

try freezing it, the different materials will expand/contract with miniscule differences, at least 8 hours in the freezer & then immediately upon removal exert a small amount of pressure to attempt to break the joint between them.

obviously don't hold any metal parts with bare hands 😉.

if it doesn't immediately work, maybe try a small amount of hot water for rapid expansion, there is a small risk of damage but metals/plastics should be ok.

good luck

25 minutes ago, Tackle said:

try freezing it, the different materials will expand/contract with miniscule differences, at least 8 hours in the freezer & then immediately upon removal exert a small amount of pressure to attempt to break the joint between them.

obviously don't hold any metal parts with bare hands 😉.

if it doesn't immediately work, maybe try a small amount of hot water for rapid expansion, there is a small risk of damage but metals/plastics should be ok.

good luck

Hi, 

Will give it a go, will the tracer be okay? I'll take the batteries out anyway. 

Cheers. 

• Supporters

Pretty much agree with @Tackle here.

3 ways of removing it.

Heat(must get over 200C to break the bonds between metal and epoxy)

Freeze- it’s recommended to use a refrigerant spray to get it lower than your freezer can

Paint thinners with acetone- but leave it to soak for over an hour

After choosing and doing one of these, use a craft knife or a flat chisel and gently apply pressure between until they come apart. With the heat I’d suggest doing half at a time.

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Compulsive Reload said:

Hi, 

Will give it a go, will the tracer be okay? I'll take the batteries out anyway. 

Cheers. 

tracer should be ok, don't power it up for at least a day,keep it somewhere warm to "dry out", should have prob mentioned stick it in a couple of freezer bags prior to freezing, in order to stop any moisture ingress, hope you read this in time 😉

5 hours ago, Prisce said:

Pretty much agree with @Tackle here.

3 ways of removing it.

Heat(must get over 200C to break the bonds between metal and epoxy)

Freeze- it’s recommended to use a refrigerant spray to get it lower than your freezer can

Paint thinners with acetone- but leave it to soak for over an hour

After choosing and doing one of these, use a craft knife or a flat chisel and gently apply pressure between until they come apart. With the heat I’d suggest doing half at a time.

Okay, ain't got any freeze spray or anything to get it that hot, may be able to get some paint stripper though. 

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

tracer should be ok, don't power it up for at least a day,keep it somewhere warm to "dry out", should have prob mentioned stick it in a couple of freezer bags prior to freezing, in order to stop any moisture ingress, hope you read this in time 😉

Yeah I put it in without a bag, the freeze method didn't work, must of put an absolute shite load of epoxy on. 

• Supporters

Does the tracer not unscrew ?, leaving just the end cap on the strike unit.

• Supporters

never had a tracer so don't know the layout, had the workings come away from the base I would have suggested dropping the epoxy'd part in to a pan of boiling water for 20 mins, surprised freezing didn't work, might take a few goes ?, epoxy doesn't usually survive drastic changes in temperature, cold usually makes it brittle & heat makes it a little pliable......you sure he didn't use unicorn jizz 😉

55 minutes ago, Tackle said:

never had a tracer so don't know the layout, had the workings come away from the base I would have suggested dropping the epoxy'd part in to a pan of boiling water for 20 mins, surprised freezing didn't work, might take a few goes ?, epoxy doesn't usually survive drastic changes in temperature, cold usually makes it brittle & heat makes it a little pliable......you sure he didn't use unicorn jizz 😉

I see, probably need to lash it in a few more times and see what happens will find a sandwich bag or something. Think It'd be easier to get that off! 

22 hours ago, Tackle said:

Success, worked after another try. Thanks for the help guys! 

IMG-20181217-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20181217-WA0001.jpg

Archived