Wolverine MTW - Any one in the UK own one?

sjhirst

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

2 hours ago, leadly said:

Mine arrives on Tuesday....  

Monster! I'm just waiting for HPA to have the Cyber Monday sale. Going to try and pick up a P* Jack to drop into a CM16-SRS for a bit of a sleeper build.

You seen the FPS limits at MCG on HPA? 330fps on a 0.2. They do that so joule creepers can't get above 350 but still, can't help but think "chrono with the right weight BB and go for 1J eh". I'm sure a 1J MTW will still destroy most things out there. Beech corner won't know what's hitting it lol

Hopefully should debut it for a few games at Skirmish on Saturday if covid allows. Failing that I'll try get up to Matlock instead and give it a whirl once I've tested my VSR out in the morning.

3 hours ago, Hatchet said:

Nice, look forward to seeing a review. I've been keeping an eye on them for a while, but can't justify dropping that kind of cash in the current circumstances (plus lack of a regular site). I'd been holding off earlier in part due to the receiver. New one looks better, but my suspicion is that dust cover won't close as is - none of the photos/videos I've seen show that. Looks a good tool for some sneaky work.

From what I can gather your suspicion is correct in regard to the 'dust cover'.

The thing I'm most intrigued to see in the new batch is how the pre-installed Phoenix hop is working out. It's a really interesting design, but as with anything that adds 'precision' at the cost of complication they seem very fiddly to get shooting better than the stock (or at least what was stock) unit... which arguably says a lot about how good the stock unit is. If it shoots well out of the box I'd strongly recommend not changing anything!

Yes, from what I've seen in the Facebook group the ejection port cover stays open but apparently you can reverse the spring and do something else to make it stay shut 

My mates ordered 7 MTW's in total, so I've got the pick of either the 10" Milspec, 10" or 14" forged.

At this moment in time I'm 90% certain I'm taking home the Milspec. After going back through all of the posts on Facebook, people seem to only have issues when they try 3 different hop rubbers with 5 different barrels in 4 different hop units and then after that it's trigger micro switches breaking and programming modes going all over the shop.

I'm sure different issues will pop up with this new gen but I think I'll be more than happy with semi only. If I need full auto I'll just whip my AAP-01 out!

Not paying full retail makes the decision jump head first into HPA a little easier!

1 hour ago, leadly said:

Yes, from what I've seen in the Facebook group the ejection port cover stays open but apparently you can reverse the spring and do something else to make it stay shut 

My mates ordered 7 MTW's in total, so I've got the pick of either the 10" Milspec, 10" or 14" forged.

At this moment in time I'm 90% certain I'm taking home the Milspec. After going back through all of the posts on Facebook, people seem to only have issues when they try 3 different hop rubbers with 5 different barrels in 4 different hop units and then after that it's trigger micro switches breaking and programming modes going all over the shop.

I'm sure different issues will pop up with this new gen but I think I'll be more than happy with semi only. If I need full auto I'll just whip my AAP-01 out!

Not paying full retail makes the decision jump head first into HPA a little easier!

For sure, I've been impressed by the incrimental upgrades/improvements they make as a company so I see no reason to expect them to be any worse than the previously available offerings. Definitely some nice 'quality of life' changes in there, assuming the changes to feedtube/retention and the hop don't royally screw feeding up it's hard to see how it could be objectively worse... I'm sat here hoping they'll turn their eye to the AK platform now, though I'm not holding my breath!

In terms of playing around with hop components that's just the nature of the beast, and airsoft fallacies regarding 'the best length and bore barrel' certainly confuse things slightly. But it's all part of the fun, I love tinkering around... even if the end result ends up worse than where I started. It's such a simple platform to work on swapping things back is a piece of cake (Phoenix hop aside, but my experience is anecdotal at best).

On 29/11/2020 at 14:58, Steveocee said:

Monster! I'm just waiting for HPA to have the Cyber Monday sale. Going to try and pick up a P* Jack to drop into a CM16-SRS for a bit of a sleeper build.

You seen the FPS limits at MCG on HPA? 330fps on a 0.2. They do that so joule creepers can't get above 350 but still, can't help but think "chrono with the right weight BB and go for 1J eh". I'm sure a 1J MTW will still destroy most things out there. Beech corner won't know what's hitting it lol

Obviously I'm quite new to the sport and HPA so I've not come across this before but why the limit for HPA users? The BB dosn't know what's propelling it and I could just as easily use joule creep to cause maximum pain with my VSR. (Recently lowered the spring to avoid having a 2.8j RIF when firing 0.46's.)

With HPA the concern is often how easy it is to just pump up the psi whilst in the field.
Tournament locks should resolve this, but I've never seen a site enforce them.

As you say, my SRS can joule creep as much as my hpa guns but that comes with a minimum engagement and is single shot.

The big concern for me would be getting hit full auto at close range with a creeping gun on heavy weights.

I did some testing recently as you should always be aware how your guns behave with heavy weights.

My MTW DMR jumps from 1.88J to 2.61J when I use 0.48's (39% creep) 469mm barrel

My full auto HPA guns jump from 1.14J to 1.41J on 0.32. (23% creep) 300mm barrel

26 minutes ago, leadly said:

Obviously I'm quite new to the sport and HPA so I've not come across this before but why the limit for HPA users? The BB dosn't know what's propelling it and I could just as easily use joule creep to cause maximum pain with my VSR. (Recently lowered the spring to avoid having a 2.8j RIF when firing 0.46's.)

It's to do with cylinder to barrel ratio. Ideally you match your cylinder volume to the barrel, no air wasted, no slowdows, perfect exchange.

When you run HPA you have a huge cylinder volume so you have an excess amount of air, the air has to go somewhere, this means that the air displaces a lightweight BB easily and then the excess air just is unused and is vented out the barrel, this can cause a bit of turbulence and is a minor issue. The real issue is when you stick heavier ammo in as then that excess air gets utilised in pushing the BB out as it needs more behind it to get it going. That's joule creep.

What you experienced with your VSR is the same as the cylinder in a VSR, especially for a Gspec with 303mm barrel, the cylinder volume is larger than the barrel volume.

MCG have kind of done the right thing, just expressed it in the wrong way, they want to remove joule creep but instead of chronoing on joules or even the weight you are using and converting down to 350 they have said 330 on a 0.2 which is effectively 1J however 330 on a 0.2 could be abused on a very creepy build with heavier ammo to be above the equvalent of a 0.2 at 350 (which is the AEG limit).

Yes in theory you could creep like buggery and get away with it on sites that chrono on a 0.2. I watched someone chrono at NPF with a 0.2 and get 480fps and then stick some .43's through and get 400fps. The guy opted not to use it as he was a decent person BUT the marshall was fine with it (I was like WTF?!?! and clearly there is a hole for education - yes I brought this point up with them - no I didn't ever get a reply).

I set my snipers hopup for the correct weight and chrono from there. Even my spiciest sniper does 317 on a 0.48 which I think when you look at a conversion table is about 490 on a 0.2? I'm happy as I won't joule creep, I'm well within site limits and I have a small buffer for a dodgy chrono. I will also be perfectly fine if I go to a site that chrono's correctly in J's as well as a lot of the guys buying Novi SSG's are going to be absolutely on the limit with a 0.2 and will go way over when they go heavy weight.

Unfortunately the airsoft obsession now is to the have the best most powerful gun at 99.999% site limit. 

Joule creep just allows the idiots and cheats to deliberately break those limits and then claim ignorance if caught.

If sites can't police J limits, I'd suggest chrono full auto's on 0.3/0.32 and snipers/dmr on 0.40+. 

That would negate most of the crazy joule creep builds and improve safety.

I see, I have learnt many things!

My plan was to run it at 1j or just below and use something like 0.25g BB's. I shall whack a Nov modular supressor on the end of it for maximum ssssshhhhh.

I've got loads of different weights to okay around with so we shall see what I can achieve. I'll make a project thread when it's in hand!

• 1 month later...

After having a quick play with one of these a few weeks back, i've pulled the trigger and should have one early next week. Went Co2 stock to begin with. 

Congrats...I'm just waiting to make sure my Bonus is in my paypacket and I'm pulling the trigger as well.. :)

Got it! Install of the Co2 stock was straight forward enough apart from having to go out and get a 6mm spanner. Trickiest part was setting up the right length for the Co2 bulbs. Dialled in the power at a steady 320 fps and all seems good. Got nowhere to setup the hop as yet but I can live with that for now. Next is question is do I change the rail or not... 

20210106_121357.jpg

20210106_121316.jpg

Hypnosis...that's a sweet looking setup.  I'd keep the rail, looks pretty dang good. :)

Oh..i've just bought a MTW as well..and a few other things...

MTW Carbine + Phoenix Hop + spare feed tube & retention clip (In case I break them when maybe changing the rubber/bucking)

Shark 48cl tank with Storm regulator

Wolverine Filtered grip with Amped wide bore 42" line.

6 Mags

7ltr Scuba tank with fill line.

Quite expensive...but hopefully worth it.

Was thinking about the Forged Milspec, but put off by the single fire only option with it.

6 hours ago, Monkman said:

Hypnosis...that's a sweet looking setup.  I'd keep the rail, looks pretty dang good. :)

Oh..i've just bought a MTW as well..and a few other things...

MTW Carbine + Phoenix Hop + spare feed tube & retention clip (In case I break them when maybe changing the rubber/bucking)

Shark 48cl tank with Storm regulator

Wolverine Filtered grip with Amped wide bore 42" line.

6 Mags

7ltr Scuba tank with fill line.

Quite expensive...but hopefully worth it.

Was thinking about the Forged Milspec, but put off by the single fire only option with it.

Any idea how heavy the scuba tank is? Go-dive have go 20ish % off most things including tanks at the moment! It's payday on Friday and I did a lot overtime!!!

There’s some good used MTWs on here to those interested.

Ive been on the fence for a few weeks, the things that appealed to me where;

- Stand-alone designed system

- Everything is aligned properly

- Co2 stock option

- Mag empty detection

- Milspec compatibility

Thing that stopped me getting one;

- M4 guise only (although nice)

- Long winded to remove hop/barrel

- electrical connections

So like some other users have mentioned here I’m building up a custom Co2 ‘stocked’ gun.

The electrical connections are minimal to say the least mate plus there is always the mechanical version. I'm going to be running mind semi only (TM MWS user here) so might get the Reaper M engine at a later date anyway 

Well got mine today... Threw on a spare SopMod stock as the one supplied rattles to much.  Attached some Mlok bits and threw on a old tracer unit. (New suppressor coming next week) Also need to attach the Wolverine Filtered grip line as well...but seems easy to do. (Bought x2 by accident..oh well)

I do have a tiny bit of wobble with the upper/lower...but I heard a magic pin will sort this out.  Just can't get over how light it is... :) 

sKeco6JggJnK43vzYRioLMLAmTvCw3bgB1xUuGPouMNz8_sKWG-YjI0m1QJbWdcpLzLVDNJmftaqjwaH2aNjLVcskwun1mN_xhNVamCmfva-UFKo-RWvUoN6qUDZRFbLgxz1eXv60fZLOh5ljvWVc8qWPuqXr4TJM5BLyYrvATbfVycBrmlZZF4zpK9plF3ags_QcjG2gtHIh-BUHnvrIHvqXHgJtlEMXTLPVgpKwJlDljFsfpwYTsLcNRiYCUBVn6JkzlNgH-0djtZgXoX4g5s6b_sU4T9HDT_kVTgfqIj3mGkozQIvCGR1BoGxGeMpDAJLuix5BfTWplmWrGMkAi-vPLnNNGanz6R4crgNah1s4qt3AX1yP7Uisfd70saucjUoqI_87LUqF-Kzv5jKyNVvhxcy8ll2_FEl16wugLlwRalyn7hImoRf6tUlWssT3yNLGA0zw24m0dGaHlts4bv4YwvX2QqRE37E2Rh9QDc7jgvoqX_1FZtt4y46gZCPfrfNJGLiLjKoAJl6P6DTyu6oG7cQQ70Ee-puIL3PRu9lrYXQ8MH27F_k9IsJFNQ1Vqtvl7xqOdarnA9yOeA5ePwP_xp9kegQuBRZd7u92nayA18edEQVU2vxHMFN2xb6pr9coiZddvUPk3FERIDZcZ7UzOiNYcXi3FJbj9X15oZOHwkXkXAE4FuR3wycHg=w1704-h602-no?authuser=0

Modern M4s are incredibly light, let alone toy ones, one of the many reasons they are so favoured and so popular to their own detriment 😂 

@Hypnosis I didn’t like the upper lower separation / contact idea, and the little daffy bit behind the engine.

• 4 months later...

Holy necropost! 

Seems like the MTW thread has been pretty quiet.......

This week I decided to completely strip mine down, spunk a ton of unnecessary money on new parts and gave mine a makeover. I wanted it to be practical rather than good looking. But I think i achieved both in the process. 

Gen 1 MTW (Known as a 'Billet' MTW now)

Inferno Gen 2 engine

Phoenix CNC Hop, Silent Industries CNC Hop Arm 2.0 w/ Green Concave Nub, G&G Green Bucking, Stock Inner Barrel

Gorilla Bluetooth FCU (If you havent heard of this look it up & i guarantee you will want one) 

Angry Gun BCM MCMR 10" Handguard

Magpul CTR Stock 

Magpul Hand Stop 

Trijicon MRO

Element Peq15

Surefire M300

Night Evolution Dual Pressure Switch

Surefire 4 Prong Flash Hider

Just waiting on a Magpul MOE+ pistol grip and I think that will be it! I cant think of anything else this gun needs.

IMG_0063.thumb.jpg.28f94194059e9a57da645d88717ce781.jpg

IMG_0064.thumb.jpg.94dc12a4bdf690ee7e30df0dad9c9ee9.jpg

Edited by CaptainDumbass

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, airborne said:
Hi friends! I RECENTLY ACQUIRED THE MTW FORGED EDITION. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH BALL GRAMMAGE IS THE MOST RECOMMENDED? AND ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN GET ALL KINDS OF INFORMATION ABOUT THIS REPLICA? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

image.png.7d621a1db91970f02fc6d198492a8cc5.png

I've not used anything lower than 0.32g. I can hit a confirmed 60m tree with ease. I'm just experimenting with 0.36's at the moment to compare the difference at AEG FPS Vs DMR FPS with my mate. We both run 10" MTW's.

Hope that helps!

When I run mine @ AEG fps, I use 0.32 or 0.36.  @ DMR fps I use 0.4. (Place I got a good deal on 0.4's has ran out of stock..so probably switching to 0.36 ASG Devil Blasters for DMR role)

I just recently put in a ZCI barrel & Mapleleaf super macron 70 Degree..and ran as DMR the other week..  Really improved the groupings and the range was just awesome.  (Pic below is when I ditch the single mags and use it at AEG fps with drum mag)

MTW DRUM.jpg

Edited by Monkman

Haven't seen any places with stock of MTW mags for a while. I've been using £10ish nuprol mid caps with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Although last Sunday I busted out my new shiney PTS EPM1's and they were faultless. I think some people have feeding issues with "excessive" rate of fire but my two mags and my mates two mags coped just fined! Got 4 mags for £100 from Patrolbase.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.