Newbie tech question - ARP556

Whitty
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi as I'm new into airsoft and I'm thinking of getting the arp556 for indoor cqb as my first gun ,I was curious  if there was anything to go wrong with the internals of the gun I would llike to have a go at fixing it myself but not sure how  ...can any part fit any gear box as in Pistons,gears,springs ,shims ,hop ups e.t.c  or have u got to get that specific part for the specific gun thanks ...

they are pretty solid guns mate. But please don't open up and mess with a gun as a beginner... It will come with a warranty if anything happens... get the shop to fix it. My one piece of advice! If you want to learn to mod or tech buy a cheap gng raider, even a second hand one will do otherwise money will go down the drain especially on a nice weapon like an ARP9.

Cheap doesn't mean it'll give you problems, Likewise expensive doesn't mean it will be free from them.

G&G are a decent entry level manufacturer.

Generally it has been advised that it is best to avoid the ETU models and stick with the basic gearbox and trigger systems on a starter gun. This is because early variants of the G&G ETU (electronic trigger) were prone to failure. And to replace the unit was a £50 part. There has been a revision of the ETU recently and these problems may have disappeared. It is up to you to go searching for that information.

From a personal perspective I would not want an ETU trigger system. I like the mechanical ones. Yes they have more trigger travel but they also have less problems, and are far cheaper to repair if a problem does appear in the distant future.

So research the new ETU.

Personally I'd still go with a G&G as a starter weapon. I would pick one of these variants, And I will explain the reasoning.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-firehawk-m4-stubby?pv=1173

The standard m4 firehawk. It's the same form factor as the 556, Uses the same magazines as most m4 platforms, It's got the added noise amplifier, They have basic trigger contacts and are totally unfussy about batteries, but you are very limited on battery space just like the 556. So the chance of been able to borrow a battery on the field is much smaller. At over £100 cheaper it gives you more start up cash for a decent charger and some mags and camo.

The main downside to the 556 and firehawk are the lack of battery space and the very short inner barrels.

Do not be tempted by the DSG (dual sector gear) variant. It has a better rate of fire, but at the cost of semi auto. And some CQB games will be semi only.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-cm16-raider-full-stock?pv=5867

The Stubby CM16 full stock. This is the perfect starter gun. It has loads of battery space so you can put any battery you can find in it, and borrowing a battery will be much easier due to the added space. It's still short, and uses mechanical contacts. It still uses standard mags. If you add a couple of convertor leads (you have space to use these) then they have the potential to use any battery bar a few of the longer AK style ones. Very Very versatile. At £110 cheaper you have even more play money than the firehawk.

The main downside of the CM16 full stock is it doesn't look Tacticool. It has a better length inner barrel and the most battery space an AEG can have internally. Fantastic mag compatibility and is a durable tool for CQB and open field play.

I'm a big fan of solid stocks. If you don't like it you can always swap the stock to a nicer on later on.

Stocks don't tend to be expensive at all. £20 for the stock and buffer tube, so if you don't get on with the style or want to switch it up in the future you can.

The advantage of the solid stock is it's very nice to shoot with, They have a large weight at the shoulder end that counterbalances the gun, and with a decent battery as well you can have a gun that feels pretty much weightless with them. Crane stocks never have the same solid feeling or sensation of weightlessness. It makes using a shooting a full stock M4 very easy.

Just make a note that the CM16 solid stock uses a LARGE TAMIYA connector. Not the regular small one.

Yes but get 7.4v ones.

11.1v will work but the gun doesn't have a mosfet fitted so you will wear the contacts faster.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2200mah-30c-continuous-discharge-airsoft-lipo-battery.html

1 of those should last you all day. If you are worried about it just put it on charge at lunch for 30 minutes. Or pick up 2. You want to select Tamiya as the connector.

As for charger a cheap 700mah one will be fine if you sit by it and keep an eye on it. In a few months you can then pick up a far better charger and have the cheap one as the emergency backup. It'll take about 3 hours to charge that big battery.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/700ma-charger-for-1s-to-3s-3-7-7-4-11-1v-li-po-and-life-battery-packs-eu-version.html

• Supporters

Full stock, schmool stock, just buy extra batteries.  If you're bothered about borrowing, take a roll of electrical tape with you, and just tape any borrowed batteries to the outside of the stock if they don't fit.

But yes, +1 to the cheaper G&Gs as a first gun.  The best pew-per-pound for CQB is probably the basic short CM16 Raider, which will shoot as well as anything else.  Heck, the £80 CYMAs also work, I was running mine again yesterday, but the G&G feels a lot nicer.

https://swasairsoft.co.uk/airsoft-guns/gg-combat-machine-aeg-cm16-raider

To answer your original question, internals are mostly interchangeable within a platform.  A "V2" gearbox designed for one M4 will likely fit in another M4, and take the same internal parts.  Likewise an M4 hop unit is an M4 hop unit and a generic AEG barrel will fit most AEG hop units.

Some exceptions are those G&G electronic trigger ETUs, which are proprietary, and you may find some other gotchyas if you go a bit off piste.

All that said, you do you.  These are toys bought for pleasure.  If the ARP 556 would give you more pleasure than a Firehawk or Raider, then that's the right gun for you.  If you're grinning, you're winning.

On 10/12/2018 at 13:32, Rogerborg said:

Full stock, schmool stock, just buy extra batteries.  If you're bothered about borrowing, take a roll of electrical tape with you, and just tape any borrowed batteries to the outside of the stock if they don't fit.

:D

I did say it was my preference. I can't stand those wobbly crane stocks they feel all wrong to me, but a lot of people love them.

• Supporters
On 12/12/2018 at 23:09, Iceni said:

I can't stand those wobbly crane stocks they feel all wrong to me

Well, me too, I just hacksawed mine clean off and went with a PEQ box. ;)

Take it apart and learn how it works.  That what I did with my first gun which was an G3 SG1, ten years back.  I have done all the work to my aeg’s over the years. If you get stuck there are plenty of guides here and on YouTube, so you are not really alone.

ARP9 for the win..

Archived