v3 trigger clicks after shot in semi-auto

Redeon
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've had this issue which I cannot seem to fix. In semi-auto the trigger makes a click after making a shot. I've tried replacing the trigger unit (shuttle and housing), and the cut off lever to no avail. From what I know the shuttle is being pulled off of the trigger sear and when the trigger is returned to rest, it is sliding underneath the shuttle, which eventually returns resulting in the click.

Link below:

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

• Supporters

It sounds as if a trigger spring is to strong, and it’s forcing the trigger back with force.  I don’t think it is this, just what it sounded like.

What gun is it from? Are parts after market? What bits have you installed? Some makes and manufacturers don’t work with others.

That's normal for a V3 AK trigger.

You pull the trigger in semi, The contact dolly moves forwards. The sector gear kicks the COL, and the COL lifts the contact dolly over the sear. 

When the trigger is released the sear drops back down and eventually picks up the contact dolly again.

You have 2 springs in effect, the trigger spring and the Dolly spring. Both act on the sear. The contact dolly spring in this instance is pulling with enough force to pop the contact into position with a little pop. The pop noise is probably the sear clacking on the bottom of the outer shell as the dolly seats it. That dolly spring doesn't just apply a linear backwards motion, It also applies the downwards force on the back of the dolly because of a rotational force acting to pull the front of the dolly up. It's the combination of these 2 effects that seat the dolly to the sear.

31304920417_ba96b3cc5b_c.jpg

It doesn't pop in auto because the COL doesn't lift the contact dolly over the sear in that fire mode.

There is nothing wrong with your gearbox. It is working as it was designed to work, The pop noise is just a feature of that trigger setup. AK's, G36's and Augs all have it in varying degrees, when using semi auto. Augs even have it in full auto because of the secondary trigger contacts.

I have the same in my V2 MP5 gearbox. Totally normal, though it doesn't happen in any of my other rifles. 

23 hours ago, Prisce said:

It sounds as if a trigger spring is to strong, and it’s forcing the trigger back with force.  I don’t think it is this, just what it sounded like.

What gun is it from? Are parts after market? What bits have you installed? Some makes and manufacturers don’t work with others.

Its a TM AKS74U NGRS. The new trigger shuttle and housing are SHS (I believe the Tm ngrs ak is V3) and the COL is TM replacement.

Not sure if it is too strong, could be. I’ll try playing about with it with a spare shuttle return spring, thanks.

22 hours ago, Iceni said:

That's normal for a V3 AK trigger.

You pull the trigger in semi, The contact dolly moves forwards. The sector gear kicks the COL, and the COL lifts the contact dolly over the sear. 

When the trigger is released the sear drops back down and eventually picks up the contact dolly again.

You have 2 springs in effect, the trigger spring and the Dolly spring. Both act on the sear. The contact dolly spring in this instance is pulling with enough force to pop the contact into position with a little pop. The pop noise is probably the sear clacking on the bottom of the outer shell as the dolly seats it. That dolly spring doesn't just apply a linear backwards motion, It also applies the downwards force on the back of the dolly because of a rotational force acting to pull the front of the dolly up. It's the combination of these 2 effects that seat the dolly to the sear.

31304920417_ba96b3cc5b_c.jpg

It doesn't pop in auto because the COL doesn't lift the contact dolly over the sear in that fire mode.

There is nothing wrong with your gearbox. It is working as it was designed to work, The pop noise is just a feature of that trigger setup. AK's, G36's and Augs all have it in varying degrees, when using semi auto. Augs even have it in full auto because of the secondary trigger contacts.

Appreciate the help bud. This is what I thought, however from memory this just isn’t how the gun was in semi before.

As is currently the trigger has to be released in its entirety until the trigger sear (your red part) clicks back under the trolley, meaning the time between shots is drastically more. I’m almost positive it was not like this before...

Appreciate the help everyone.

Hm, when I have the gear box open, and engage the trigger and then turn the sector gear the back of the trolley raises pulling the trolley off of the trigger sear...

looking at that.. sketch... should the front of the trolley be raised not the back?

is my problem is that the contacts are too tight?

will give this a try when I get back 🤔🤔

The back end goes up, The COL always kicks upwards acting on the back edge of the contact dolly to lift it over the sear.

There is a pivot point in the middle of the contact dolly, As soon as it is lifted it also pulls back, and sits at an angle on top of the sear, then the trigger is release and the sear and dolly re-seat fully.

If your contacts were too tight you would get multiple shots in semi auto as the action of the dolly been pulled back over the sear is what breaks the connection. So no it's not the contacts been too tight.

There is a lot of difference in how a v2 and v3 triggers feel. And I know of no V3 trigger that works without the separate sear. You might find information on tuning it but I suspect that there will be very little information on modifications that can be done to turn the trigger into a fast spammable semi trigger without a conversion to a microswitch or optical trigger. A gate titan would be able to do it but you will pay through the nose for that.

Archived