Polycarbonate sheets

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've been watching some videos about  the use of polycarbonates to protect optics and torches.

I have found a place that sells sheets of Lexan in various thicknesses - 2- 8mm for example..

https://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/polycarbonate-sheet-2mm-3mm-4mm-5mm-6mm-8mm-thick.html

I thought about going for the 2mm. Is this likely to be thick enough or too thick? What do you reckon?

I reckon it'll work with a torch but probably not optically clear enough for a scope or similar.

It'll probably be like your shooting underwater with no goggles on.

I think 2mm will be too thin. 3mm or 4mm would be stronger (but the above probably stilll applies).

Lexan cracks/shatters quite easily.

I prefer steel mesh or steel honeycomb.

EDIT: Wrong info... :D

Thanks for the reply.

Can you recommend a better quality polycarbonate then? The lenses in shooting glasses and goggles are polycarbonate, or so I assume.

The problem with steel mesh and honeycomb protectors  is finding them.

And then finding them the right size.

Cutting and mounting plastic sheet is easy but I don't have the tools to cut and shape steel mesh. Well, I have a pair of pincers so I suppose I could.

For cutting steel mesh I use some snips like those for cutting the metal beading trim that edges dryboard systems.

I salvaged one lense off a pair of mesh goggles for a 35mm scope. Another; I bought a flashkill meant for a 50mm lense but the threads where different so I retrofitted it into the sunshade. As and when I need stuff like that I normally just look at what I can use around the house or man cave before buying things. Ebay's pretty good for raw materials, plenty of workshops selling offcuts from jobs etc. That's where I get my billets for milling etc...

I'm afraid I can't be of any use in sourcing optical plastics. But you could cut a lense out of some goggles. ;)

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Immortal said:

I reckon it'll work with a torch but probably not optically clear enough for a scope or similar.

It'll probably be like your shooting underwater with no goggles on.

I think 2mm will be too thin. 3mm or 4mm would be stronger (but the above probably stilll applies).

Lexan cracks/shatters quite easily.

I disagree with all of the above.

I use polycarbonate (Lexantm, is just a brand name) for protecting both torches and scopes, including reflex and zoom.  It's optically as clear or clearer than glass.  3mm is overkill, 2mm will be sufficient.  It doesn't shatter or crack easily - are you thinking of acrylic, e.g perspex?

I get cheap eyepro, Take out the lenses and cut them to fit in the optics

You cut those polycarb lenses with snips, but angle each cut to avoid the circle you want to keep, so if it cracks the crack doesn't ruin the part you want.

Sand the edges once the cut is made as good as you can get it.

Then to mount them you have to look at the optic. Some will have a screw out front ring, Unscrew drop it in and screw it back on.

Others won't have a ring. In that case you need at least 2 thick orings that will sit tight inside the front element housing. Drop one ring in then hold it in place with a second.

It's a cheap method, with Iso graded polycarb, Optically good, And easy to replace if needed. And if you go with tinted eye pro, you can tint your optic!

Forget about killflashes, and expensive options, cheap cheerful and functional is far better.

• Supporters

To be fair 2mm is more than enough.

Anything to take the energy out of the BB will be better than nothing.

Something else other than lexon is watch makers blue sapphire glass. Just measure the size you want and its nice and round already for you. 

Archived