Barrel Length and Accuracy(GBBR): Where should it stop?

Pigeon_Haris
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As you know with a GBBR. Having a longer barrel will significantly increase the fps, and without an Adjustable nozzle of sorts it can be an absolute nightmare to try and keep your gun within chrono

I'm struggling to understand the difference between:

• Having a short barrel: Say 250mm shooting at 350fps
  • Having a longer barrel: Say 400mm shooting at 350fps

How is a longer barrel more inherently accurate when it is still shooting the same fps? Does that extra 150mm of barrel really help with long range efficacy?

I know it's nothing like real steel where a longer barrel is generally more beneficial 

I'm basically trying to understand if there is any point to upgrading your barrel length for the sake of still keeping within FPS limits but gaining an actual increase in accuracy, when all guns are still supposed to be shooting at the same speed.

I hope I've worded this right, let me know your thoughts.

Having a longer inner barrel is no more accurate than a short one. Only thing that matters concerning accuracy with the barrel is the bore finish. Just look at the MWS/ MTR. That’s a 250mm inner barrel and it’s more accurate than a Tm recoil out of the box. 

The good thing about longer inner barrels in GBBR’s is that it’s ‘free’ FPS. If I was building a DMR for example, a longer/ tighter bore could give me a massive FPS boost to my limit (400,450, whatever) without having to loose gas efficiency by changing rocket valves or messing with mag valves/ hammer springs. Like a real gun, the longer the barrel, the more the gas can expand and the higher the velocity. It’s why they joule creep so well. 

If your barrel is decent, all that effects your accuracy is hop up bucking/nub/ general design and the BB

Archived