SE Tour Review: Zoological Warfare/BPAA (East Sussex) (Now Closed)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Site Name: Battle Paintball and Airsoft

Telephone number: 07739041930

Website Address: https://www.battlepaintballandairsoft.co.uk/

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/battlepaintball/

Site Address: Heathfield Park, North Gate, Tower Street, Heathfield, TN21 8PD

My battle buddy and I made the 160/180 miles round trip to Battle Paintball in Heathfield Today. This is a brand new airsoft venue, having been used for Paintball until now. Battle Paintball and Airsoft used to be based at an old site in nearby Catsfield (Which we mistakenly went to first! Don't follow the google listing!). 

Today was a bit different as it was a private test day open to just AFUK'ers and certain Facebook groups. This was put on to test game modes and the general reaction to the site from experienced players. 

It is a Large sized woodland/open field site interspersed with areas that once were part of an old timey private zoo(!). There weren't many purpose built airsoft buildings on site. Lots of low level fern style foliage with large gaps in the tree line. Medium, long and very long engagement distances. There was a stream running through the main play area culminating in a small pond. Some fairly large hard to see holes in the undergrowth. Large open field sections for sniping. There was plenty of elevation at play here, nary a true flat surface to be seen. 

The site uses BIO bb's only. You can either buy them at a shop beforehand or buy them on site. If you buy them off-site, make sure they are unopened or they will need to be tested. 

Note: As this was a test game, some things were not implemented on the day but will be if it fully opens for airsoft, I have put most of these in the "Average" section. 

Good:

Playing area: The playing area was varied and interesting! there were plenty of woodland areas as well as open grassland and fields. My favourite parts were the low level ferns which were excellent for hiding in. We only played a small part of the site (About 1/5th) and even that bit was exhaustingly large! 

Safe Zone: This was HANDS DOWN the BEST safe zone we have come across. It's in a proper two story building. It has space for around 50ish people. Tables line the walls, it appeared to have some form of heating. Due to the way the site is setup, players do not come back to the safe zone between rounds so the building is LOCKED. Your stuff is safe as houses in there! 

Toilet: Two toilets. The one on the top floor of the safe zone is a full on bathroom, its made from porcelain, it has a working flush, loo roll, a sink with soap and even a shower! (No don't use it guys). Luxury! There is another toilet in the Storage unit which is more basic, though I didn't see it. 

Marshalling: Were pretty hands off on the field and chilled. They listened to whatever minor issues that came up and dealt with them accordingly. As it is a brand new site the first game mode didn't quite come off, but after that all was well. Most importantly was that they were all incredibly friendly and really, really wanted to make sure you had a good time and asked for loads of feedback. You were made to feel good and involved. 

Mandatory Chrono: Everyone had to go through Chrono. AEGS have a mild variation of around 350FPS limit. DMR's I believe were limited to 420 and Sniper Rifles were at 500. Its a small point, but considering the amount of sites that skip chrono, I can only put this as a positive. 

Food: Proper burger van affair, a lovely couple run it, not a huge selection. Bacon roll, burger, deep fried chips to order and a veggie burger option. Has all the sauces, salt and vinegar and a variety of cans to purchase. Free tea and coffee in the morning. 

Average: 

Safety brief/mission briefs: Brief and specifically catered to the experienced clientele. Basically, don't be a dick and go from point A to point B, sometimes via C with object. When fully open a proper safety brief will be given. 

Shop: Not really a shop at present, there were a large selection of Bio BB's available in pretty much every weight up to .40's for the day. My battlebuddy managed to forget his gloves and the site managed to rustle up a decent set for him to buy. If the site fully opens there will be a shop stocked with TM and JG rifles along with accessories and gas in addition to the BB's. 

"Zoo" section: The site was sold to us with photos of the lovely Seal section, tower and bridge. However they were hardly used on the day. I am sure they can be used but the choice was made not too in this instance. I would say the site is more of a woodland site with small sections of zoo rather then a zoo with a woodland section. It is certainly unique, but I wouldn't necessarily oversell it if they aren't being used often enough. 

Parking: At the moment it seems quite limited, there were 25ish players today and the one obvious parking section was full, another section will need to be designated which I am sure wont be a problem. 

Bad:

No Range: I believe this is in the pipeline, but it would have been nice to have a range setup near the safe zone. 

Structures: The Airsoft/paintball specific structures were a little poor, they could do with some updating. Maybe proper perimeter walls with choke points?

Conclusion: 

Battle Paintball and Airsoft was in my top 3 for airsoft sites in the past year. (Battlebuddy says top 5). It has a good variety of play areas to keep it interesting and we only saw 1/5th of the site. The marshalls were spot on, the safe zone was breath taking, food was good, clientele was good and we couldn't say enough good things about it on the long drive home after. We really had to split hairs to find bad points about the site. Considering this was only a test day, we felt it was run better then many established sites. 

Personally my own airsoft performance was one of the better ones, throwing myself into the middle of a giant fern patch and picking people off as they walk by was a personal highlight. 

Having never used BIO bb's before, I am happy to report there didn't appear to be any discernible performance difference from standard Non Bios. We would like to see more sites incorporate this, which in turn should make manufacturers churn out more varieties of them. 

The people running the site have big plans up ahead, opening up more parts of the site and incorporating the monkey cages, bunkers and fox holes etc. A shop, a possible extension to the existing safe zone, its very exciting stuff and we hope they follow through on it. 

It will be very interesting to follow how the site progresses, it has so much potential as not only a skirmish site but a full on MilSim experience.

It was our last airsoft game for 2018 and we are incredibly chuffed to have ended it at this amazing site. 

Bullpup Watch: Fourish! (Only 25ish players today so the ratio is the highest ever in my reviews) 2 Augs, one of which was not used outside of chrono, my ICS L85 and a fake bullpup P90. 

Notes:

And that is it for 2018 from us! Time to take a rest and spend time with our much neglected wives/families. Need to give my arthritis a rest too! We still have plenty of sites to go to in the South East. 

I will be posting another thread soon with a final review of the year as a whole with top 10 lists etc. 

Photo attached is of myself, taking control of the truck with the MP5 :)

MP5.jpg

5 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Another great review.

Considering the travel, would you go back out of interest? Again, I missed today but your review makes me want to try it however it is a long trip to play woodlands 

We did talk about this at length on the way back. We would definitely make the trip again when the site is fully up and running and the weather is good. We would also definitely come for a multi day milsim! If the potential follows through, I reckon it would become one of the premiere sites in the South East. 

I agree, traveling this far for a woodland site is a bit taxing... I would say it's worth a punt at least once :) I was going to reply to your status update earlier, it was a crying shame you couldn't come! Would have been great to see you!

1 minute ago, Asomodai said:

We did talk about this at length on the way back. We would definitely make the trip again when the site is fully up and running and the weather is good. We would also definitely come for a multi day milsim! If the potential follows through, I reckon it would become a premiere site in the South East. 

I agree, traveling this far for a woodland site is a bit taxing... I would say it's worth a punt at least once :) I was going to reply to your status update earlier, it was a crying shame you couldn't come! Would have been great to see you!

Trust me we had everything ready and then my mate called me at 3 am saying his sister was back in hospital due to her cancer again. So I said let's not go etc.

I'd definitely want to try there, maybe I'll wait until the summer months. If they get a milsim going there is go to that, still yet to try a milsim

Sounds like a great site, gutted myself for not able to make it. Had work to console myself with instead😅. It's something I think we could do another AFUK meet up game day. 

Another great review. You reviews are leading me to start making a list of sites to visit next year. 

@Asomodai do you plan on visiting Dogtag Airsoft next year? Would be interested to hear your views. 

18 minutes ago, E21A said:

Mine too! You play yesterday? 

Cool! No I couldn't make it but I will be there on the 16th and the 30th. I try and go every game if I can.

If you did a full day 2 weeks ago I was the fella in Tropentarn (like Highlander, there is only one) who nearly knocked himself out in the afternoon game. Full on face plant.

I wonder if we've met? I always forget to ask people if they're forum members!

10 minutes ago, Immortal said:

Cool! No I couldn't make it but I will be there on the 16th and the 30th. I try and go every game if I can.

If you did a full day 2 weeks ago I was the fella in Tropentarn (like Highlander, there is only one) who nearly knocked himself out in the afternoon game. Full on face plant.

I wonder if we've met? I always forget to ask people if they're forum members!

I’ll be there on the 30th. Yea I’ve played every game since May apart from one and I can’t make 16th. 

I usually make several trips to the ground myself! 😂

Its quite possible, I usually attend on my own so team up with random people on the field. 

• 1 month later...
On 02/12/2018 at 23:36, Robert James said:

Trust me we had everything ready and then my mate called me at 3 am saying his sister was back in hospital due to her cancer again. So I said let's not go etc.

I'd definitely want to try there, maybe I'll wait until the summer months. If they get a milsim going there is go to that, still yet to try a milsim

Looks like their first game proper will be February!

• 9 months later...
On 23/10/2019 at 08:09, Asomodai said:

Zed Adventures will be running airsoft skirmishes here from the 24th of November. 

This excites me, but it’s an hour and forty min drive so a bit out of my way for a woodland site. Was happy driving to The Mall as it was unique, I doubt I would venture that far for this place though..

1 minute ago, Albiscuit said:

This excites me, but it’s an hour and forty min drive so a bit out of my way for a woodland site. Was happy driving to The Mall as it was unique, I doubt I would venture that far for this place though..

I wouldn't mind going again if it was an all weekend milsim in nice weather! 

Just now, Asomodai said:

I wouldn't mind going again if it was an all weekend milsim in nice weather! 

If it happens let me know, would be happy to do the journey for a weekend and will make sure there is a seat spare in the car for you too!

Archived