Versatile sniper kit, any suggestions? (Almost done, working on camo atm)

Skara
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just regarding heat, more layers of material the hotter. The head is the place that heat escapes the most and I find it's the hat that is the cause of the over heating (assuming it's not a hot day or from running).

I've been playing in a thin german parka (+ tshirt) with a hood instead of a hat. It's been much cooler than when I wear a cap or bush hat. That's also using a scrim hood over the top of the parka instead of having it on a hat (which must make the hat warm like a thermal winter hat?). The hood's more airy and loose which helps heat escape. IMHO

LOL :D It's a bugger trying to carry two primaries. Twice as hard if wearing a ghillie of sorts! I find t's easier to drop one and draw the other rather than swapping round. Even if I have to come back and retrieve the rifle I've dropped (but I won't move far from it!!!)

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AIM BECK!

Stupidity apart.

I'm back at the "drawing board" for my sniper loadout.

A couple of things have changed in my tiny dented brain:

-Gave up on carrying 2 rifles, it's just too much hassle, now i have a mk23 so the "oh shit they're too close" part is covered...ish;

-Scrapped the ghillie, tested it a couple of times and it didn't really work, atm I have 2 choices, first is to start again from scratch, second option is to buy a leaf suit top from somewhere and craft it to look like a proper ghillie. The "head and shoulders only" idea remains though, I don't want to get snagged on a branch every 2 steps. It will have a hood, made of netting in case of a ghillie to keep me cool

-Sidearm on my hip is a no go. Gets in the way when leaning on one side and I'm more focused on not smashing it than on what happens around me. Currently modifying an old universal holster I had to be used as an armpit holster.

-Still undecided on the bearing kit, I have 3 belts and a chest rig to choose from. I don't have much gear to sling around, just an extra mag for the striker, extra mk23 mag, speedloader (I use 0.30s on both guns anyway, no need for 2 speedloaders and 2 different bags of bbs), bag of bbs, gas, water, radio, pruning scissors or whatever they're called, small knife, first aid kit, car keys, phone if I feel the Instagram vibes.

My striker mag fits perfectly into an Invader Gear radio pouch, pistol mag + speedloader go into a Condor double pistol pouch for now until I find a decent pistol mag pouch with good retention, bb bag can go into one of my pants pockets, water, gas and radio are all stored in a small pack.

Will update again with my dumb ideas :)

8 hours ago, Skara said:

-Gave up on carrying 2 rifles, it's just too much hassle, now i have a mk23 so the "oh shit they're too close" part is covered...ish;

It is awkward, depends on what your carrying.

-Scrapped the ghillie, tested it a couple of times and it didn't really work, atm I have 2 choices, first is to start again from scratch, second option is to buy a leaf suit top from somewhere and craft it to look like a proper ghillie. The "head and shoulders only" idea remains though, I don't want to get snagged on a branch every 2 steps. It will have a hood, made of netting in case of a ghillie to keep me cool

A lot of it is how you move and where you decide to plot up but obviously a green suit sitting on a rock may stand out regardless. lol :lol:

-Sidearm on my hip is a no go. Gets in the way when leaning on one side and I'm more focused on not smashing it than on what happens around me. Currently modifying an old universal holster I had to be used as an armpit holster.

I use an under arm holster, other side has two under arm pistol mag pouches. Belt has two horizontal pistol pouches moved towards the back of hips. These carry speedloader, extra pistol mag and two sniper mags. Anything else just goes in pockets. Occasional closeable dump pouch at rear if carrying extras or snacks .

-Still undecided on the bearing kit, I have 3 belts and a chest rig to choose from. I don't have much gear to sling around, just an extra mag for the striker, extra mk23 mag, speedloader (I use 0.30s on both guns anyway, no need for 2 speedloaders and 2 different bags of bbs), bag of bbs, gas, water, radio, pruning scissors or whatever they're called, small knife, first aid kit, car keys, phone if I feel the Instagram vibes.

My striker mag fits perfectly into an Invader Gear radio pouch, pistol mag + speedloader go into a Condor double pistol pouch for now until I find a decent pistol mag pouch with good retention, bb bag can go into one of my pants pockets, water, gas and radio are all stored in a small pack.

Will update again with my dumb ideas :)

Nothings dumb, just experimental. 👍

So, this morning I went to a cqb field because it was raining and we had a great day, we were only 6 and had a lot of fun.

But that's not the point.

One of the guys showed up with an old Italian army poncho, it doesn't have a hood and it's made of canvas.

What if I take my old one, remove the front part and turn it into a ghillie?

if you're still looking for a cobra hood style ghillie then I recommend the ATAKA EU hood sold on Skirmshop NL or from ATAKA themself, it's a tad pricey at ~£100  however 10 minutes of adding some natural foliage has it working awesome.8BC2B0AF-E771-46C6-8BD6-FE41CF3E5D65.thumb.jpeg.01a4d763e6311d1e764299bb94a33a6a.jpeg09AC50FF-4F9A-48EA-B5AA-0F5638F6B07B.thumb.png.93c2d0804a95dd1d81ea8a7eab8271ac.png

7 hours ago, Skara said:

So, this morning I went to a cqb field because it was raining and we had a great day, we were only 6 and had a lot of fun.

But that's not the point.

One of the guys showed up with an old Italian army poncho, it doesn't have a hood and it's made of canvas.

What if I take my old one, remove the front part and turn it into a ghillie?

One way to find out. Dooooo it! One of the things I like about this sort of thing is the experimenting.

6 hours ago, DopeYourScope said:

if you're still looking for a cobra hood style ghillie then I recommend the ATAKA EU hood sold on Skirmshop NL or from ATAKA themself, it's a tad pricey at ~£100  however 10 minutes of adding some natural foliage has it working awesome.

My local shop has one in Pencott Greenzone for €120, but I still can't justify the price.

If I decide to seriously get into sniping I will consider it, but as of now I'm trying to save some money so that I can fix/upgrade what I have..

30 minutes ago, Immortal said:

One way to find out. Dooooo it! One of the things I like about this sort of thing is the experimenting.

Exactly, I'm gonna pick up some netting tomorrow and see what happens, even though I forgot the poncho at my parents -.-

On 18/09/2019 at 23:19, Skara said:

Gave up on carrying 2 rifles, it's just too much hassle, now i have a mk23 so the "oh shit they're too close" part is covered...ish;

If you change your mind I run an Ares M45 s alongside my Striker and with the stock folded in I barely even notice it on my hip. It allows me to push in hard or hang back and pick them off and I am sure that if you were determined you would be able to sling it in such a way that you could carry it under your arm pit

Hope this helps 

Solly

• Supporters
20 hours ago, Skara said:

My local shop has one in Pencott Greenzone for €120, but I still can't justify the price.

If I decide to seriously get into sniping I will consider it, but as of now I'm trying to save some money so that I can fix/upgrade what I have..

I bought a cobra hood from AliExpress along with a bundle of twine and then some sneaky leaves from Skirmshop. All in WAY less than 120 Eur.

67BPr2hstYmegqFKqYNr_8iwCbKDd-bTJzVzbJqPnxc0wxB1ZESrKGeXP8zHPbQZAKNVyPA-jZnPidunzSL2h4FHGNwRVRHIa0kV6EuynTS7FmCMeSc3JLDW8Qo0FxbjoPLoCngRWHcNrdcFwKWr3k1GtCQ1XFYkvDZiwHconyytzP92b8MvhYl5f4k2ckcPRhoqg_gy2jbuepVc_CkNW9VTr_wSsOcO_-KPqHKL--pFz22fJN9ZprYoLP4LX3NEXYYSPBHMkUdbYfXKFrr28zzn6jdp6UT0GvhUUUzO77iMpGPiszzXY2ODmSEUYtfbSkGY-ElFyxFpYSfQwf39Hs9A9-cIaV7gdMUuHiTRUa7iLb9u71uI6tvrkQqbm2gCZA0Lh76OgE_9nn8TezkIsGSt9t78mi3CjIkKSUJ1kYKxCR-po4XoK6bfpHZ_PFHewwWIKZDH3_evJ2CXaPoPo9eXfOEN1cl36ZAZxD1tFkeGzvzyf_OsOfhOVbbNLPBN5NofhTAQVLsOp7qhYp7SZ3IK6xYS4nzv8NXeNrrBkZfxa2D4g2YjKWrIMuZJZfQ_uHXZGgUV8UoYIau39C8aafSQhhQORSaur767k5bN1VaWXUWYQDTqxMyou4lNbCY6hy_s2RvgyPF53yQTwpXcjAFQdow16TaELSRPZY0d00ffeacWKSmNBCo=w709-h945-no

7 hours ago, Solly4568 said:

If you change your mind I run an Ares M45 s alongside my Striker and with the stock folded in I barely even notice it on my hip. It allows me to push in hard or hang back and pick them off and I am sure that if you were determined you would be able to sling it in such a way that you could carry it under your arm pit

Hope this helps 

Solly

I've done something similar with my arp9 and even tried the Ares CCR, they just didn't work for me. Also no point in being all sneaky and shit when you end up using an AEG (unless you have a REALLY quiet AEG).

6 hours ago, Lozart said:

I bought a cobra hood from AliExpress along with a bundle of twine and then some sneaky leaves from Skirmshop. All in WAY less than 120 Eur.

I have just ordered a 6m x 0.5m badminton net, gives me plenty of room to experiment.

At this point I may even not use anything as a base, just the netting for maximum ventilation and to make the whole thing more flexible:

My base will be the camo I'll be wearing and light will actually remove any dark spots that will otherwise occur, especially around the head.

If you think about it, when using a fabric hood as a base, light won't go through it, and while it can be good for you in the sense that there is no weird light ray shining right in your eyes, it will also create a literal black hole on your face, making yourself way more visible than you think. It's all still in concept stage, will figure something out tomorrow as soon as I get the netting.

Meanwhile I've managed to move my sidearm from my hip to my left armpit. The holster still needs to be better secured (need thicker zip ties) and requires some modification to hold the mk23 so that I do not randomly lose it when running. But it's getting there.

Will post a picture tomorrow.

Will also need a lot more paracord and an old bicycle inner tube to cut rings from (they make nice and cheap elastic bands to attach natural vegetation to).

Will craft a gun wrap too, nothing fancy, just a loooong strip of camo fabric (from an old pair of trousers) with some burlap, camo strips and elastic bands tied to it.

If the netting turns out to not be strong enough, I will use my poncho as a structure.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, small update,

Last Sunday I had the chance to test the kit out.

Went back to my old belt + harness, tried with a chest rig but the holster got in the way, also no matter how high i set it, most of the stuff was crushed between me and the ground anyway. Need to spray paint it to get rid of the shine, a very light coat of brown will do the trick, and maybe a few 3d elements zip tied here and there to add some depth, especially on the backpack. I also need better pistol mag pouches, not necessarily taco style, just something less crap than the Condor ones I'm using right now.

P_20191008_092223_vHDR_Auto.thumb.jpg.d66c7d1b6aa71df5ff6f57d5316ba78b.jpg

Made a rudimentary gun wrap with a scrim scarf and it was a mistake, a big one. Kept snagging on everything. Will craft a fabric sleeve that covers the front and some of the optic, with a couple of holes for the hop wheel, magwell and, of course, a slit for the optic itself. Some 3d elements here and there, a couple of elastic bands for natural vegetation and call it a day.

Mk23 worked well, got a couple of hilarious kills with it. Enough of a sidearm and makes for a good primary when i'm on the attacking side. Didn't feel the need for an AEG/AEP.

Considerations about camo:

450323397_WhatsAppImage2019-10-06at2_06.16PM-Copia.jpeg.f84718b08140e6955512f6932de299fe.jpeg

Sorry for the bad picture, I forgot to take a few before the games started and I usually leave my phone in the car to avoid smashing it.

Anyway, I played in M81 bottoms and A-Tacs FG top and hat, turned out to be spot on for the field in its current state (early fall, still a lot of green around), people literally walked past me (probably blind as bats, but still). I did swap my eyepro from the Valken Sierra to my trusty shooting glasses because the balaclava, despite being mesh, didn't allow for enough ventilation into the goggles. Glasses were completely fine tho -.-

I found this FB page called Le Covert Sartorialist, which completely killed the need of a ghillie suit. Or rather, he incorporated the principles of camouflage into the basic clothes you're going to wear at a skirmish.

My idea is: winter is coming, everything is gonna turn tan/grey/brown really soon, so my green stuff won't be of much use until April/May. I'm thinking of getting an A-Tacs AU top and some brown based pants to match the environment, and then work with some 3d stuff directly onto the BDU.

• Skara changed the title to Versatile sniper kit, any suggestions? (Almost done, working on camo atm)

Archived