Versatile sniper kit, any suggestions? (Almost done, working on camo atm)

Skara
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello bois!

Since I have a new sniper rifle, I am in the process of building a new dm/sniper-ish kit.

Now, I want to build a loadout that allows me to be mobile and carry 2 rifles at the same time (because an AEG is more versatile than a pistol and I can lead the charge when needed).

As far as gear goes, I was thinking of using either a belt + suspenders or my mini mav + belt, in combination with a backpack to store water and possibly a HPA tank (because my first sniper upgrade will be a mancraft sdik)..

What's your experience on sniper kits?

I would also like to build a ghillie, not a full one though, something that covers my head and shoulders just to break my silhouette, I already have some material to work with from my first one (jute twine, strips of old DPM and vegetata BDUs, plenty of netting)..

I just need a decent base to work with, what would be a good one?

I'm pretty sure it won't be an easy task and it'll take some time and research..

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

regarding a ghillie, consider something like a webtex concealment vest as a base to build upon, much better for movement & easy to shrug off if you want to switch to an assault role.

as for load carrying, as a sniper you'll prob spend a lot of time in the prone position, so you don't want anything on your front, so you need to look at kit that suits ?

A belt is the way to go with the option of a small rig as long as most of the stuff is mounted to the sides/rear so you can lay down comfortably. 

When i Snipe I tend to have an mp7 in a TMC ‘holster’ on a drop leg with an additional mag, or Ive ran mp5k/ mp9’s on a one point sling before. 

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Wo1f said:

When i Snipe I tend to have an mp7 in a TMC ‘holster’ on a drop leg with an additional mag, or Ive ran mp5k/ mp9’s on a one point sling before.

+1.  I run my MP5K on a one point sling, and secured to a leg panel with the usual bodges of velcro and para cord.

Any good with a needle and thread?

I make my bases from a large piece of scrim (one that is printed in the camo I am wearing) and then attach greebles to that...

Gives a lot of random shape and breakup, light, not hot and cheap.

13 hours ago, Tackle said:

regarding a ghillie, consider something like a webtex concealment vest as a base to build upon, much better for movement & easy to shrug off if you want to switch to an assault role.

as for load carrying, as a sniper you'll prob spend a lot of time in the prone position, so you don't want anything on your front, so you need to look at kit that suits ?

The webtex base is too long for my liking, I only need to break my head-shoulders silhouette as my field has a lot of undergrowth that conceals the lower body really well.. A short ghillie also doesn't snag on every branch/rock/dog in the field :)

12 hours ago, Wo1f said:

A belt is the way to go with the option of a small rig as long as most of the stuff is mounted to the sides/rear so you can lay down comfortably. 

Noticed it today, I took too much crap with me and while it is fine for my usual play style, carrying a second gun was a pain in the butt.. Time to rebuild my standalone belt kit then :)

42 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

+1.  I run my MP5K on a one point sling, and secured to a leg panel with the usual bodges of velcro and para cord.

Not an MP5 because I don't want another full set of magazines, but a short AR could be great to have. Ares Amoeba CCR should do, on a one point sling and some gimmicky retention device..

27 minutes ago, Immortal said:

Any good with a needle and thread?

I make my bases from a large piece of scrim (one that is printed in the camo I am wearing) and then attach greebles to that...

Gives a lot of random shape and breakup, light, not hot and cheap.

Can you post some pictures? I read an article talking about using decoy bags as a base but I'm afraid they aren't strong enough :(

Sewing is not an issue, I can do it.

Given you did mention carrying two rifles at once I remembered this video and thought that it could possibly be of some use to you: video link.

I suspect one of the hurdles you're going to have to overcome will be your HPA tank causing obstruction. As you don't really want to pick up a second set of magazines it might be worth researching some of the PDW length/size M4 variants on the market, these could provide a viable solution.

Given sidearms offer a lot of potential it might be worth considering a high quality side arm as your back up weapon. It's well worth remembering that some sidearms on the market are frequently used as primaries, granted this is typically within CQC sites but they do offer range when set up correctly.

Carrying 2 full length rifles turned out to be more complicated than I expected..

That BE vid seems even more complicated, given I need a backpack for my future hpa tank and generally to carry extra stuff with me (water, spare eyepro, waterproofs, snacks and anything I may need for a day in the woods), I'm pretty sure I'd get all tangled up in no time 😂

Small update btw:

While I am waiting for Immortal to gib bobs and vegena pictures I had a look at my "things you buy but never use" box aaaaand I found my old parka I bought when I started playing, it's all shagged and tore apart, it may be a good base to start with (even if I fail I was gonna dump it anyway)..

Now, do I keep the hood and work on that or do I create a removable net for my boonie?

• Supporters

My experience: If you aim to be able to do multiple roles, you will be mediocre in all of them. If you stick to one, you can excel. You will find that you are fighting your gear instead of the enemy.

Switch roles mid day if you want to play both.

As for assault-ish camo, check Viper hoods.

On 02/12/2018 at 12:10, Skara said:

Can you post some pictures?

Here's a few, I've tried to keep the file sizes down!

Appologies; crappy bleached phone photography (can't see all the detail) and a small bathroom for a studio... lol 🤣

Very basic scrim hooded cloaks with a bit of raffia. I also attach scrim to my mask. The bits I cut off get stitched back on...

(Normally I'd wear gloves....hide those pink hands!) Sometimes underneath I wear a cap, a bush hat or just the parka hood (best).

Please note; they are a work-in-progress!

Spring, Summer, early Autumn; Flecktarn:

Ferns and stuff can be picked fresh on the day if required.

IMG_1630.thumb.JPG.98be62b0e5a423158b66a3c09ca327b0.JPG

IMG_1642.thumb.JPG.d529a3da0dc7edebb042820341fe177a.JPGIMG_1646.thumb.JPG.5f33850af2921f98a6cffe2f3bfb011d.JPGIMG_1682.thumb.JPG.7c9aa4633d529ee68ea6dedb0a600568.JPGIMG_1675.thumb.JPG.cc2704c593517a2b7a38434eca2b4f11.JPGIMG_1680.thumb.JPG.72ea23c2d0d27022c1f2fd18262dd130.JPG

Early Spring, Autumn, Winter; Tropentarn:

IMG_1650.thumb.JPG.77f5751cb1d3d10e8c4dc6db1398369a.JPGIMG_1656.thumb.JPG.9900a9d7debb6ff7afbad9850270b61e.JPGIMG_1653.thumb.JPG.7e1cb9586ad6b438bd215cc2e187685b.JPGIMG_1654.thumb.JPG.ef4288247847eb848f13be4967f2f913.JPGIMG_1667.thumb.JPG.5a39d7e6effb8a7e9503d0833d2ee923.JPGIMG_1669.thumb.JPG.f629733cde55be63168c46fc452fb555.JPG

I also scrim my rifle. This is just flectarn scrim, OD trousers, beige Italian army raincoat and a bit of raffia.

All chopped up and tied on, nothing is permanent.

IMG_1683.thumb.JPG.b2682ffd9d7e2409f43776f401c6c631.JPGIMG_1687.thumb.JPG.d422ee4cf779c22bac18080810e71adf.JPG

• Supporters

Having personally tried to do exactly what your doing I can say it’s really really difficult and not worth it. 

I had an SSG mag mounted to my back, a TM scar as my main, and a TM Mk23 on my DTD holster. 

Its almost impossible to play effectively with this set up. The only way I managed it was to leave the sniper at spawn, and go out as normal, and when I died, if I needed the snipers range I’d go and grab it. 

As for ghillie, I have two team mates with full Wookie suits, I personally just had a Boonie with jute fibres woven around the molle to break up my head shape. It was rather effective.

7A8F07BB-107D-4EF8-8D44-98069CE3EC27.jpeg

I agree, carrying two primaries in this scenario is quite tricky. Generally I'll just carry a glock or M9 with a few mags. Anything big, even a carbine is awkward, something ends up in the way or tangled eventually. The speed of being able to swap primaries is far slower than pulling out a pistol or similar.

If people get close or I'm spotted I move back. If I get close then I'll drop the rifle and goto the pistol.

The idea of two primaries is fun and cool but generally impractical. I really never find a situation where it's worth it or necessary. It just becomes more weight to carry for the most part and I don't like excess weight (it just leads me to overheating for nowt).

• Supporters

I still think something along the lines of the webtex concealment vest will be better suited to your needs, even if you were to shorten the back so it was halfway between your waist and shoulder blades, they're hooded & have arms that come down to your elbows, so good coverage but being mesh are light as fuck, with most other ghillie set ups I & mates have tried, all usually have issues with heat retention etc, & don't get me started on when they get wet.

modifying clothing has the same issues, & not quick to take off & stow away, mine comes off in a couple of seconds, & then rolls up inside out in to a gas mask bag or similar.

as for your "secondary", yeah most carbines will be a pain in the arse, I'd recommend a magpul pdr-c, mp5k or maybe an aep such as a tm mp7/vz61, or maybe a mac10, any of which you could bodge a holster for your side or middle of your back, but not on a thigh rig if your a "crawler", they just hinder you.

Our games are attack-defend that last 20 minutes tops, no regen, once hit you're out until the next game.

We also venture quite far from our cars because the field is pretty large, you can literally play 30 min games for a week straight and never see the same place twice.

Hence why I wanted 2 primaries but it's annoying.

Thanks very much @ImmortalImmortal for the pictures, I'll go to the local shop and buy a couple of scrim scarfs (unfortunately he only has them in od and vegetato, the latter should do with a bit of jute and bdu strips here and there) and make something like yours.

And maybe copy @PriscePrisce's idea, a round piece of scrim/net tied to a boonie, to give the whole thing some modularity..

Next step will be gear and secondary.

For my backup gun I have 2 choices:

- get more mags (let's say 2) and 2 holsters for my g19;

- dish out some beer tokens on something else.

I should be able to get those scrims today.

I will also get 2 mags for my G19, while I wait for VFC to release their new MP7 AEG, hoping it won't be too expensive.

Worst case I'll stick with the pistol.

This is a rough idea of the cutting and sewing I'll have to do.

The three drawings on top are (left to right):

- Head Piece, just a square piece of scrim with a loop of paracord so I can tie it to a boonie (or any hat really);

- Main Piece, the one supposed to cover my shoulders, has a hole in the middle for the head, folded to create a sleeveless vest and a 1" buckle to keep it in place;

- Sleeve (x2), will shape them off a bdu to get the correct angles, lengthy will be 3/4 of a regular sleeve, sewn together with either zip ties or pieces of string.

The small rectangle at the bottom is the gun sleeve, just a piece of scrim with some shock cord, so it can adapt to all my RIFs.

Won't use much "artificial" camouflage, just a few strips here and there throughout the pieces to fluff it up a little bit, will rely mostly on natural stuff collected on the field :)

Pretty stoked as this is my first ghillie with some science behind it.

It looks like a viper hood but it'll be much lighter, also completely home made to my specs :)

P_20181205_115421_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

Rough idea of the base.

Sewn some of the chest piece on, but it takes ages, will resort to a combination of hot glue, zip ties and shoe glue.

Thinking about removing the hood, or attaching a few strips and leave it there as a backup in case I forget my boonie.

Also kept some OD netting for a rifle sleeve.

P_20181207_105519_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

It should cover a backpack (or at least a part of it), in case I can buy another OD scrim and make a pack cover 

5 minutes ago, Skara said:

Thinking about removing the hood, or attaching a few strips and leave it there as a backup in case I forget my boonie.

That'll work, keep the hood and do the bush hat too. I don't always have my hood up, when it's down it just forms another layer of crumpled camo. WIn-Win. :D

Looking good dude. 👍

Base is done.

All shanked and asymmetrical because I'm a scrub and rush things, but to be fair now it breaks up the silhouette even more.

Started attaching strips but I ran out of small zip ties, will buy a bunch tomorrow along with more glue :P

kept the hood and removed the front and back parts of the bdu, they were in the way of my backpack and comms.

I'll probably post pictures of the finished thing tomorrow.

edit:

I was thinking about what gear to use, but honestly I don't think I need anything more than a holster and a magazine pouch for the pistol. I can carry bbs and speedloaders in my pockets and everything else (radio, water, future hpa bottle, extra clothing and spares) in my bag.

On 08/12/2018 at 00:21, Immortal said:

I just bought two more scrims to chop and add to the other two..... I blame you. lol :D 

Lol..

Anyway:

Played today, didn't finish the ghillie so i didn't take it with me.

Went relatively well although I do really need a secondary..

G19 started acting up (extreme cooldown after 5 shots, not cycling properly, hop up skyrocketing .30s even when fully dialed off) so a mate lent me his we g17, which performed flawlessly..

BB pistols are fun and all but they really give your position away, so I was thinking about a NBB one, maybe with CO2 mags for reliability with cold temps.

Had a look around and found some "nice" ones, here's the question:

I know they shoot way too hot for my country, I also know it's pretty easy to reduce the fps by cutting the hammer spring, is it possible to make them really quiet? Not TM levels of quiet but more like "where did that come from" quiet?

• Supporters

Have you used a Mk23? Even the cheap ass ASG/STTI/Y&P versions are superb. Highly upgradeable too. If you do get one, make sure you get a suppressor from @Samurai, great build quality, smaller than the standard ones, and works superbly.

• Skara changed the title to Versatile sniper kit, any suggestions? (Almost done, working on camo atm)

Archived