AK/SVU/SVD rail mounts

kasaran
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So i got the SVU as well as the cyma AK to ris style mounting. 

the problem is that it doesnt go far enough to be centred on the barrel, and no amount of adjusting of the optic is going to align it with the barrel, which at range becomes about a metre or two left of centre. 

anyone know of a rail adapter that would fix its off centredness? or maybe another rail mount that works?  For the record, the mounting i got was: http://www.taiwangun.com/en/mounts/svd-scope-mount-black-cyma?from=listing&campaign-id=14&q=rail

svu rail.jpg

• Supporters

if it's only offset it shouldn't be too far off at range, if you're getting away by a metre then it seems it's either twisted at an angle or your hop unit is causing pull off to one side.

i take it the iron's arent far off?

52 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

if it's only offset it shouldn't be too far off at range, if you're getting away by a metre then it seems it's either twisted at an angle or your hop unit is causing pull off to one side.

i take it the iron's arent far off?

The irons should be right.  Its just arrived today so only been dry fired to test.  Just visually the rail doesnt sit far over enough to be near centre.  It may not be so bad in practice.  But now you said twisting... it may be a little twisted. Damn awkward thing

• Supporters
44 minutes ago, kasaran said:

The irons should be right.  Its just arrived today so only been dry fired to test.  Just visually the rail doesnt sit far over enough to be near centre.  It may not be so bad in practice.  But now you said twisting... it may be a little twisted. Damn awkward thing

yeah, if it's square then being 1/2" offset isn't going to translate to anything substantial at range, pretty sure if it's that bad there's something else going on.

You can get Sportsmatch scope mounts that are adjustable for both windage and elevation, so you could get the scope centred more accurately.  That said, your scope looks to be set quite high on the mount.  I'd suggest looking for some low mounts to bring the scope nearer to the barrel, as you may end up with insufficient depression on the scope cross-hairs to be able to get an accurate zero.  The side mount also looks quite high on the side of the AK receiver.  Mine always had the scope mount only about 10mm above the barrel.  That looks nearer an inch at least.

8 hours ago, RR01 said:

You can get Sportsmatch scope mounts that are adjustable for both windage and elevation, so you could get the scope centred more accurately.  That said, your scope looks to be set quite high on the mount.  I'd suggest looking for some low mounts to bring the scope nearer to the barrel, as you may end up with insufficient depression on the scope cross-hairs to be able to get an accurate zero.  The side mount also looks quite high on the side of the AK receiver.  Mine always had the scope mount only about 10mm above the barrel.  That looks nearer an inch at least.

I caved and bought another ak mount and its much much better. Not 100% centre. But much closer .  I reckon the other one didnt sit right? 

Im guessing as the svu is a bit fatter than an svd, it was never gonna work. 

15 hours ago, kasaran said:

I caved and bought another ak mount and its much much better. Not 100% centre. But much closer .  I reckon the other one didnt sit right? 

Im guessing as the svu is a bit fatter than an svd, it was never gonna work. 

I think you may well be right.  I'm sure one of mine didn't fit properly on an AK, but did on my SVD.  That said, in the end I bought a POSP for my SVD, which fitted perfectly and was centered.  Bit more expensive though.

Archived