Normal sized tracer units vs minis

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I need a tracer unit. I would like to be able to use it on both rifles and pistols.

I understand that the small pistol sized ones will also work on rifles.

But my questions is: do they cope as well on rifles as on pistols.?

Since I only do CQB I never use the full auto function on a rifle.

So I'm guessing that for semi-auto only the answer is YES.

Would appreciate confirmation or otherwise before making a purchase during the festive period. 

If not I'd be better off just getting a biggun for my rifle. Choice is between Acetech Lighter and Lighter S..

The smaller ones work fine on larger rifles, got an Xcortech Xt301 that I use on my Hi capa and my m4 also got a friend who has the lighter S which works fine too. Ive previously owned an ASG B&T tracer and the XT301 and Lighter S are much brighter and easier to use.

I have a large at1000 and a small xt301, never noticed a difference between them on my aeg (semi only).

Bigger ones probably last longer, but my small tracer easily lasts more than a day for me.

At my local CQB pretty much everyone uses small pistol size tracers.

Thanks. Good to know.

So why do people bother with the big ones?

Is it because they prefer the appearance of something that resembles a silencer.

I have never understood why people put silencers on aegs.

Putting amplifiers on them makes much more sense.

2 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Thanks. Good to know.

Is it because they prefer the appearance of something that resembles a silencer.

Personally I like the look of rifles with a silencer, always have. So I run a mock one when outdoors as I prefer the look and airsoft to me is about realistic looking guns and a tracer in cqb.

Again, the longer tracers oer the shorter are about aesthetics, on a pistol a small one looks fine, longer ones for longer guns. Its about that 'look'.

Saying that I dont get MP7s with those long ass silencers on.. I know in the real world that is the practical way, but when playing I want my MP7 to be as short as possible.

like this:  Image result for mp7 silencer

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

like this:  Image result for mp7 silencer

Am I the only person who really likes the look of this? 

Thats how id want an Mp7...

1 hour ago, Prisce said:

Am I the only person who really likes the look of this? 

Thats how id want an Mp7...

Oh they LOOK great, dont get me wrong.. 

But not hugely practical from a CQB point of view in my opinion. 

My TM MP7 is a diddy little thing, and thats the main attraction to me, sticking a foot long suppressor on it negates its main selling point!.. Its as long as a short M4 with that thing on it!!

4 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Thanks. Good to know.

Particularly small tracer units are only a recent phenomenon. People generally dont buy a new tracer until their current one breaks so uptake of smallers ones are a little slow. Personally I am not a fan of the look of the small ones. That and battery life may be an issue.  

3 minutes ago, GrimSqueeker said:

I think it depends on the environment being played short systems are more wieldy in cqb. Long for aesthetics.

I've got my eyes on an evo a1. But I have a dilemma now I've just seen the arp 556. ..... 

Buy both, Evos are amazing..

Figure I will get my hands on a ARP in the new year due to all the hype and see what all the fuss is about.

1 minute ago, Asomodai said:

Particularly small tracer units are only a recent phenomenon. People generally dont buy a new tracer until their current one breaks so uptake of smallers ones are a little slow. Personally I am not a fan of the look of the small ones. That and battery life may be an issue.  

The acetech ones last bloody ages im led to believe. And I think they are the main people doing the shorter pistol tracers, although I may be wrong. Very good point about them being new and taking their time to get to market. Its only the past year I have seen more and more pistol tracers.

2 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Buy both, Evos are amazing..

Figure I will get my hands on a ARP in the new year due to all the hype and see what all the fuss is about.

The acetech ones last bloody ages im led to believe. And I think they are the main people doing the shorter pistol tracers, although I may be wrong. Very good point about them being new and taking their time to get to market. Its only the past year I have seen more and more pistol tracers.

Do the smaller ones run on regular batteries or do they have proprietary non replaceable ones? 

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

battery life may be an issue.

How many BBs can you get through indoors on a day?

I've been working through a bottle of 0.2s for months now.

I have a nice dinky one, runs on AAAs, so easy enough to carry spares (if needed), and just whack rechargeable ones in

Pic has fag packet for scale...

IMG_20181130_145019__01.jpg

Just now, Rogerborg said:

How many BBs can you get through indoors on a day?

I've been working through a bottle of 0.2s for months now.

A Bottle a day :(

2 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Do the smaller ones run on regular batteries or do they have proprietary non replaceable ones? 

I know the Acetech ones are rechargable with a mini usb cable. Imagine thats the same for the others.

1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

Mini Usb 20181130_163655.thumb.jpg.ea137682facd3418ad71841770cc83f8.jpg

And Size comparison of the lighter S to AA battery.20181130_163635.thumb.jpg.6594fd2df34bd815bdb990a41abe47a5.jpg

And what i'm currently running the tracer unit on.....😂

20181130_163758.thumb.jpg.617920e5dde964d31333d69d4a46c319.jpg

I have seen the threads on the smaller units break easily after a small knock.

How do normal units compare to a hop unit tracer? I have 3 tracers but nothing that can fit an mp5 sd.

3 hours ago, lukeB said:

I have seen the threads on the smaller units break easily after a small knock.

How do normal units compare to a hop unit tracer? I have 3 tracers but nothing that can fit an mp5 sd.

For this reason I bought the ICS mp5sd suppressor adapter. Turns the usual proprietary suppressor Mount to a CW screw mount. Then either get a CCW adapter or a CW tracer. 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/ics-aluminium-sd-silencer-for-ics-mp5-14mm-cw

I note that the Excortech and Acetech rechargeable tracers run on lipos.

Now lipos on aegs need special care and the use of a balance charger is advisable. They are dangerous if overcharged or if they are allowed to discharge themselves below a certain point.

However, according to the instructions, the Acetech tracer can be allowed to completely discharge itself, and, when not inn use, only needs to be charged once every two months in order to continue to function.

How does that work?

I know they are almost certainly single cell, but could somebody explain to me why the same care given to 7.4 and 11.1 is not necessary for tracer lipos?

• Supporters

It won't completely discharge itself, it'll shut off when the cell drops down to 3V or so.  It won't need balanced since it'll be a single 3.7V cell.

I''ve got lipo power banks that have sat around unused for months while retaining their charge.  Heck, I physically broke the charging port off of one, forgot about it for a year, then pulled it apart, salvaged the 18650 cell inside it, and brute-force charged it to 3V before bringing it up to full charge.  It's currently working fine in my backup torch.

Lipos aren't as fragile as the doomsayers say.

19 hours ago, lukeB said:

Just got a hop unit tracer, seems to work ok, Will update this once I have used it in anger.

Main advantage is it is fed off the gun's lipo, no need for extra batteries and can extend barrel into a mock suppressor.

Mine was built for the hop up, so fits fine and was factory fitted (MAxx hop up for ICS).

Cheers

G

7 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

It won't completely discharge itself, it'll shut off when the cell drops down to 3V or so.  It won't need balanced since it'll be a single 3.7V cell.

I''ve got lipo power banks that have sat around unused for months while retaining their charge.  Heck, I physically broke the charging port off of one, forgot about it for a year, then pulled it apart, salvaged the 18650 cell inside it, and brute-force charged it to 3V before bringing it up to full charge.  It's currently working fine in my backup torch.

Lipos aren't as fragile as the doomsayers say.

So single cell lipos aren't a fire risk then?

On 29/11/2018 at 20:33, sevizy said:

The smaller ones work fine on larger rifles, got an Xcortech Xt301 that I use on my Hi capa and my m4 also got a friend who has the lighter S which works fine too. Ive previously owned an ASG B&T tracer and the XT301 and Lighter S are much brighter and easier to use.

+1 on this.

If you need pictures of it on both M4 and pistol just let me know. 

Archived