Best style of spring shotgun for cqb

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've always favoured a short barrelled 870 style with a stock for ease of pumping and aiming - this type:

https://www.evike.com/products/60167/ 

But then I got to thinking that for cqb this type might be better: https://www.evike.com/products/63534/

Then I wondered if this might be the ideal compromise:  https://www.evike.com/products/63536/  Don't like the idea of the rear stock rattling and maybe coming loose though.

As far as personal preference goes I still prefer the looks of the full stock, but I wondered what experienced members would consider to be the most practical style for cqb.

• Supporters

Stockless all day long.  It makes for more flexible aiming as you slice the pie (mmm, pie).  You don't need to brace the stock to pull the pump back.  It's actually easier to hold the pump and push the body of the gun forwards with your trigger hand - and again, a pistol style grip helps with that.

Be aware that there's a lot of very cheap plastic inside the CYMA tri-shots, any part of which can ruin your day.  My brand new CM.351 was shooting just fine in the garage, but when I got it to the chrono on Sunday, it just went "pfft".  It seems to be seriously over-feeding BBs.  Copious blasts of silicone oil into the feed tube and up the feed arm mechanism has ameliorated it somewhat, but again, that's just in the garage.

If you get a good 'un, they're great fun, but "Broke on the first day" is a common complaint.  Be prepared to suck on a few lemons.

• Supporters

1000+ images about Thanksgiving Humor on Pinterest ___.jpg

• Supporters

(Sorry) only photo I have of my shotty.

Best of both worlds, short when stock is folded for CQB, but longer for aiming when mid range. I feed mine .28s and it’s perfectly adequate.

F82B608C-9AA1-41A3-8F3E-B063CE37AB36.jpeg

• Supporters
5 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

the pistol grip is apparently an area of weakness. They tend to snap

They're hollow on the CYMAs.  It seems robust enough, mind.

My ASG Franchi pistol-grip tri-shot feels much better made, but doesn't have a functional hop unit (or not so that you'd notice).   The CYMA barrels / hop unit in the ASG might be ideal.  You know what I'm going to try, right? ;)

I'm beginning to think metal cymas might be too heavy to be lugging around and then throwing over the shoulder when you transition to pistol.

My local range has special shotgun and pistol nights for cqb.

Perhaps I'd be better off with a plastic cyma or an asg

I'm also considering running pistol only. Same range as most aegs, easier to bring on aim and faster lock time.

I do have a soft spot for shotties though.

• Supporters

Shotguns are a gamble, is what they are.  If you watch some chrono videos, the same CYMA shotty can come it at anywhere from 230 - 310fps x 0.2g.  Some folk say theirs have lasted for years, some are DOA or don't last a day.

Place your bets, spin the wheel.

• Supporters

Dunno, I've only got an ASG "Franchi SAS" tri-shot and a plastic CYMA CM.351.

The ASG's externals are substantially nicer, with a solid, rubberised grip , a rubberised pump, and a more robust feel.  However, the hops (if any) don't function at all.

The CYMA feels much cheaper in comparison.  The hops worked, until the feed mechanism went bananas before I even got to skirmish with it.

I've had the ASG apart to resolve a seizure.  There's are many small Chinesium screws and springs and cheap nylon plastic parts, and one of which could ruin your day.  On a cursory once over, the CYMA looks to have much the same internals.

I don't know whether the metal bodied CYMAs have better internals.  It'd be interesting to hear from someone who's done a full tear-down on one.

• Supporters
On 28/11/2018 at 12:38, emilianoksa said:

I've looked around on the web and the pistol grip is apparently an area of weakness. They tend to snap.

I wonder if the metal versions of these Cymas are a bit more robust.

Can only speak from personal experience but only time I’ve ever come across things like this happening to any kit , it’s usually as a result of the owner/user being a dick with it , no matter how much OR how little you pay for them Airsoft guns aren't real , so if you don’t look after it or go all ‘operator’ while using it it’s gona break sooner or later .

• Supporters

my TM Spas12 died young (TM😱FFS), think all the springers are susceptible to numerous weaknesses, but most are cheap as chips 🍟 so worth the risk if your only using occasionally.

But if I was using one a lot, think I'd invest in a tm aeg shottie.

Archived