My Bolle x1000 RX goggles

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I bought these because they are designed to wear over prescription glasses.

They were a terrible waste of about 60 quid - fogged up in a matter of moments the first time I used them at an indoor cqb site. I had to switch to one of those lousy mesh full face masks you find for rent at most airsoft sites. However I tell a lie; it was not the Bolle lenses that fogged up, but those on my prescription glasses.

I have noticed that Bolle also sells prescription insert frames. You have them glazed by your optician and then just click them into the front of the goggles. Are these more effective at reducing fogging?

I have seen a man wear Bolle glasses with these inserts and they appeared to be ok. Perhaps it is the fact that the goggles are sealed to the skin (they claim to have ventilation but there is nowhere near enough) whereas the glasses allow much more fresh air to get through.

I'm wondering whether to risk buying an insert for the goggles or a pair of glasses with the insert   - or just give up on all that shite and go for contact lenses.

Doesn't matter how good my gear is if I don't have good enough vision to quickly acquire a target.

I couldn't get on with goggles over my prescription glasses either. Not only was the constant fogging a nightmare, but when you have glasses, goggles, and helmet straps all on top of each other it's not very comfortable...

I ended up going to a local glasses centre (not Specsavers or Vision Express) and I bought a pair of regular shooting glasses not dissimilar to a pair of Oakley wrap around's 

This is the manufacturer's website: https://www.sunwise.co.uk/

They come with clear, yellow, smoked, and polarised lenses. the prescription lenses are separate and they sit behind the main lenses. So if my prescription changes or if i damage the main lenses I can just buy them as required which keeps costs down!

But the most important thing is they've made my airsofting much more enjoyable. Like you said it doesn't matter how good your gear is if you can't even see what your shooting at! 😂

I've also taken several shots to the face and my eye pro took quite a few bb's with no issues whatsoever! 

• Supporters

I'd suggest fan goggles.  The fan should - Morgan Freeman willing - keep both the goggles and the glasses clear.  Sorry, I can't recommend a specific model, as I'm not a specker.

Also, to my considerable surprise, I managed to do a whole day of CQB on Sunday without fogging up my I-Forces which may be a combination of some or all of:

1) Not running everywhere like a loon.

2) Being slightly less unfit than when I started airsofting.

3) Revision anti-fog wipes.

If you decide to try the latter (disclaimer: they may contain 100% snake oil), then at the instant of writing the cheapest that I can find are: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292007864217

Thanks.

I note that many airsoft goggles and glasses are advertised without any details of their ballistic properties.

In my view this should be illegal.

If you are selling eye protection, you should be specific about what standard of protection the buyer is getting.

There should be numbers and letters corresponding to universal safety standards.

Can they take a 350fps hit at 5 yards? I'm thinking CQB here.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, emilianoksa said:

I note that many airsoft goggles and glasses are advertised without any details of their ballistic properties.

In my view this should be illegal.

You think someone should be convicted of a criminal offence, and ultimately jailed, for not specifying whether their product complies with a standard that doesn't exist?

• Supporters
3 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

So what does that tell you?

Well, it tells me I would be a fool to buy them.

I'm considering adapting a full face mesh mask. I would order one of the Bolle polycarbonate insert lenses, remove the mesh, and find a way to fit it. There would be much more room inside the mask (they aren't close fitting) to keep fresh air flowing, and the lenses would be much further forward on the mask.

The problem will be finding a means of securing the lense. I'm thinking along the lines of two part epoxy putty holding everything in place.

Don't know if it will work, but I am getting desperate.  

• Supporters
4 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

, but I am getting desperate.  

Are contacts not an option for you?

• Supporters
14 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

If necessary I will have to go down that route.

But they are expensive and I would only use them for airsoft.

Daily disposables (depending on brand and how fancy they are) only cost around £2 a pair and a couple of boxes of 30 lenses will last you for ages!

I went with the Bolle Raider after reading a few posts about them not fogging up. Still fogged up, Had to wipe them between games with anti fog wipes and still had trouble. I've cut the air vent gaps bigger which hopefully should help. It's a shame because I've spent about 100 pounds for the raiders and inserts. 

I've tried contacts but for some reason struggled to get them in, Think I might have another go. Not really that expensive and many opticians will give you trial ones for free. 

I thought you had to get into some sort of minimum period contract to buy them.

If that is not the case I will consider getting some. I used to have them years ago - first the little hard ones, later the first generation of soft ones. The modern disposable ones can't be any worse than those old things.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

I thought you had to get into some sort of minimum period contract to buy them.

If that is not the case I will consider getting some. I used to have them years ago - first the little hard ones, later the first generation of soft ones. The modern disposable ones can't be any worse than those old things.

Modern disposables are great. Most opticians will probably try and sell you on a contract deal whereby they charge a quarterly fee to cover aftercare service and appointment fees but once you have a prescription you can just go buy lenses. Online if need be.

Thanks for telling me that.

If i have a prescription for glasses which is only two months old. can I just order a months supply online?

In fact I was messing about with some of my stuff yesterday and tried the Bolles again, but in a different way. I pushed my glasses right up to the goggle lenses and put them on without securing them completrely behind my ears. I then secured the goggle straps to the top of my head rather than the back. The goggles were now a looser fit allowing more air to get in and my prescription lenses remained in close contact to the goggle lenses instead of working their way loose and coming back close to my eyes. I was able to wear them inside for two hours without any fogging taking place.

Now I wasn't running around sweating, it's true and I haven't yet tried them outside inthe cold air. But I don' t run when I play and I am never outdoors. I am going to remove the foam inserts in the ventilated sections of the goggles and try some other measures to let in more air - either additional holes or some sort of insert between my face and the sides of the goggles to create more space and push the goggle lenses even further forward.

I'll let you kow if it works.

On 29/11/2018 at 12:09, emilianoksa said:

Well, it tells me I would be a fool to buy them.

I'm considering adapting a full face mesh mask. I would order one of the Bolle polycarbonate insert lenses, remove the mesh, and find a way to fit it. There would be much more room inside the mask (they aren't close fitting) to keep fresh air flowing, and the lenses would be much further forward on the mask.

The problem will be finding a means of securing the lense. I'm thinking along the lines of two part epoxy putty holding everything in place.

Don't know if it will work, but I am getting desperate.  

I attached an old pair of glasses to my goggles with the ties you get on cables when you buy electrical items.

Took the arms off, they fit ok, but fogged a lot so went down the contacts route.  As the main part of the frame was there, had something to attach the ties to.

Cheers

G

• Supporters
On 01/12/2018 at 12:24, emilianoksa said:

Thanks for telling me that.

If i have a prescription for glasses which is only two months old. can I just order a months supply online?

You need a proper contact lens consult first. They need to measure things that a specs prescription doesn't cover like the curvature of your eye (not all contacts are the same). You need to try some to make sure they fit properly really.

Archived