Why has no BB manufacturer done this?

skintrade
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Simply a BB sampler, 50-100 of each weight they produce, for a reasonable price. If every gun we buy tends to come with a bag of .20s (often thrown in the bin) surely there is a way to bag up sets of small quantities?

This would allow any buyer to try varying weights in different guns/hop ups etc, letting them find the right ones for purpose and enabling solid purchasing decisions, as well as for testing upgrades etc without having to buy 1000s that may not be used. I get BBs are cheap consumables, but how many of us have seen the ads listed with "including x000 BBs"...

2 hours ago, skintrade said:

Simply a BB sampler, 50-100 of each weight they produce, for a reasonable price. If every gun we buy tends to come with a bag of .20s (often thrown in the bin) surely there is a way to bag up sets of small quantities?

This would allow any buyer to try varying weights in different guns/hop ups etc, letting them find the right ones for purpose and enabling solid purchasing decisions, as well as for testing upgrades etc without having to buy 1000s that may not be used. I get BBs are cheap consumables, but how many of us have seen the ads listed with "including x000 BBs"...

I do like this idea, but 90% of airsofters just throw .25’s in their gun. 

Its only the more discerning range/accuracy enthusiasts that is going to buy heavier weights than .28, and they tend to know what they’re after. It would be nice for sniper/ DMR users to be able to pick up a bag of 50-100 .36,.40,.43,.45 etc

I've asked smaller companies before for sample bags (paid for) but most were happy to provide a small amount for me to test with rather than buying bags by the thousand. Failing that you can always ask on here as has been done a few times and people always seem more than willing to chuck a few in a bag if you want them for something specific.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Wo1f said:

it would be nice for sniper/ DMR users to be able to pick up a bag of 50-100 .36,.40,.43,.45 etc

That.

Manufacturers churning out .2g / 0.25g might reckon that their products aren't (literally) materially better or worse than anyone else's.

Although if I'd managed to get a sample of Kilo9 bios, I wouldn't have wasted my money on a bag of the useless things.

This thought came to me with the upgrading of the very first sniper rifle I've ever owned, its an MB01 and I'm adding an ASP hop with a tighter bore barrel, plus uprated cylinder et al (only the stock and outer barrel will be OEM. I just don't want to buy tonnes of BBs until I get her fettled, and while the stocks of .20s I have are fine for Chrono testing it a small qty of heavier weights would be grand, I'm not going to assume .5s are the optimal use 😉

Now let me see how many BBs does it take to settle a new hop rubber, at least a two hundred.

The BBs supplied with guns tend to be complete crap that most people bin!

Ask other people what is best for weight for a certain gun do some research DOOOH

1 minute ago, gasman said:

Ask other people what is best for weight for a certain gun do some research 

Recommendations do get you part of the way, that I won't argue with, but there's also a certain element of personal preference, and not every combination of parts or upgrades will act the same with different weights let alone brands. So I do think there's a case for a low number bagged selection or trial sets.

No manufacturer will ever do that.

Apparently the only "companies" giving small amounts of bbs are Novritsch and friends. And honestly they're expensive (compared to the classic bags of 3000+ bbs).

4 minutes ago, gasman said:

Now let me see how many BBs does it take to settle a new hop rubber, at least a two hundred.

Ask other people what is best for weight for a certain gun do some research DOOOH

What about an already settled in gun?

Also research on bbs doesn't make any sense, because to me the best bbs are bioval and g&g, and X and Y for you or someone else. I'm pretty sure someone will show up saying the cheap .12s are the best because there's a ton of them in the bag.

You can break in a hop rubber with any weight BB’s, so that’s irrelevant. Why waste half a bag of Geoff’s .45 BB’s at £20 something when you can throw a load of blasters through it to settle. 

All snipers and DMRs (proper ones at least) are built. They all have different cylinder capacities and barrel lengths, and that dictates your effective B.B. weight range. People want all sorts of different things from their guns. My mk12 DMR will happily hop a .43 all day long with great results, but I bounce between .36-.43 depending on the day. Or even .32 tracers in these darker months

Well of course not, they want you to buy a big bag wether you use them or not 😉

1 minute ago, gasman said:

No manufacturer will ever do that.

In fact.. thinking about it now.. outdoorandtactical did 500 BB sample bags of Geoff’s for a long time. They discontinued it apparently, but they used to. 

The gun manufacturer has no interest in BBs only the gun he is selling. The BBs supplied are for quick function test only.

Ask most snipers what they use and most are using the same weights and manufacturer of BBs.

If I was to (and I did) build a high powered rif to fire some precision shots then I would start with a sensible average weight BB for that class.

If the hop lifts them easily with plenty of excess pressure left to give and at an acceptable FPS, then I may move onto a heavier BB.

I don't really see the point of samples really. You can see what people are using in rifs and what weights are expected from them (mods or not). Even brands used, if important.

If 7 out of 10 are using 0.4, then 0.4 is most likely to be the best choice. And as that means not a huge choice then it's not really a big deal to take a punt on say one of very few brands knocking out that weight (over here anyway).

There's nothing to discover that hasn't already been in this case.

Geoffs, Longbows, etc... all known to be good as good gets for high power (IMHO).

Also if I've just spent hundreds on a pimped up rif then the price of a bottle of bbs doesn't even factor.

19 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

While not one of the "big" names, 6mm Ammo does sample bags:

https://www.6mmammo.co.uk/product-page/sample-bag

Says "out of stock", but fire @6mmAmmoQuartermaster a message if you wanted to try a bag without splashing out on a 3000 BB bag.

Wouldnt touch that shit with a barge pole after the garbage .3s I got from them. 

Here's an idea, Set up a BB trade on here.

If person A  has .45's/.50's and you need say 100 to test out agree a price/swap, plenty of people on here have varying weights of BB's stick and add in one of the classifieds section or somewhere else and people can discuss what they need and how many and then people make offers and trades. Considering airsoft is supposed to be a community id be surprised if there wasnt a few takers.

• Supporters

Wouldn’t recommend longbows anymore. They are hydroscopic and swell. Don’t know if he has changed the manufacturer but previously we had quite a few issues.

• Supporters

Jason let me test some when I was playing with him at Dragons Lair. Thought they were great then, so I purchased 2 bottles from him.

I don’t snipe often so the bottles were open in my room for about 6 months... went round to using them, couldn’t get the SSG to feed at all, tried with a few mates in different guns no luck there either. 

Team mate then found out the place he gets them made(you’ll know it no doubt) and he searched the manufacturers name and found that there was history with swelling. He tested the size of the BBs with a (not going to pretend I can spell or get the name right at this moment) and found the BBs had changed from 5.95+\-0.0.1 to roughly 6.05 on average...

I will admit I didn’t tell Jason, at the time I wasn’t thinking about letting him know, just moved on to a different brand. In hindsight I probably should have spoken with him.

57 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Did you provide feedbck to Jason?

Geoff’s is the way to go. Never had a single issue in over 20 gun’s over tens of thousands of BB’s

6 hours ago, Prisce said:

Jason let me test some when I was playing with him at Dragons Lair. Thought they were great then, so I purchased 2 bottles from him.

I don’t snipe often so the bottles were open in my room for about 6 months... went round to using them, couldn’t get the SSG to feed at all, tried with a few mates in different guns no luck there either. 

Team mate then found out the place he gets them made(you’ll know it no doubt) and he searched the manufacturers name and found that there was history with swelling. He tested the size of the BBs with a (not going to pretend I can spell or get the name right at this moment) and found the BBs had changed from 5.95+\-0.0.1 to roughly 6.05 on average...

I will admit I didn’t tell Jason, at the time I wasn’t thinking about letting him know, just moved on to a different brand. In hindsight I probably should have spoken with him.

That’s fair enough, I used to keep all my ammo in with desiccant bags but that’s when all the brands on the market were swelling.

Bit overkill these days but still doesn’t hurt I guess, if you’re not sure on the source 

On 27/11/2018 at 20:30, E21A said:

Wouldnt touch that shit with a barge pole after the garbage .3s I got from them. 

They never sent me any for testing I guess because they were crap!

and he was very quiet about the Chinese supplier which has a poor rep for finish always have a little dimple.

They never sent me any for testing I guess because they were crap!

and he was very quiet about the Chinese supplier which has a poor rep for finish always have a little dimple.

The dimple is what I found on the ones I had! Didnt feed properly. Supplier was BB king wasn’t it? 

Agree that samples would be great. I use a lot of heavyweight bb's and those things aren't cheap from premium brands. Even being able to buy a pack of 50 just to test consistency against your favourite brand(s) would be useful. I hate it when Geoff's run low everywhere as I don't know/won't risk buying larger amounts of an untested product.

Slightly off-topic, but if anyone is considering sample packs to find the best bb weight for their guns, there's no need. I made this calculator to tell you that. All you need to know is your cylinder inner diameter and piston stroke length.

For example, my cylinder is 23.8mm and piston stroke of 46mm. My barrel is 310mm 6.03. That's 2.31:1 and so a 0.32g bb is optimal.

Check it out here for the Google Doc and here for a downloadable Excel file.

Archived