AEG Volume ratio question

Sev
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

Whilst contemplating the barrel group options for a build in progress, I came upon a question I can't work out the answer to.

In this build I have a cylinder with 23.8mm internal diameter and the piston stroke is 46mm. With the current 6.05mm 280 mm barrel that gives me a ratio of 2.54:1 which is close enough to the limit of 2.5:1. Luckily this build is for CQB and typical field play combined, so that'll work nicely, I think.

My question comes with longer-barrelled builds. I've read that longer barrels favour a higher ratio (between 2 and 3.5) because the detrimental effects of a low ratio are exaggerated. The thing is, by my calculations, with a 6.03mm 370mm barrel you would need a stroke of 61mm to hit 2.5. If you tried that in a fast, torque-based DMR build, which is likely short-stroked, how do you gain that extra cylinder volume needed?

Either my maths is wrong, my information is wrong or people using longer barrels are running seriously sub-optimal with high-tuned setups. Which is it? :D

8 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

The short version is you don't short stroke a long barrel build.

Ok, makes sense on reflection. How would you avoid PME without shortstroking?

The reason I'm keen to understand is that I am planning a DMR build for my next project :D

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, Sev said:

Ok, makes sense on reflection. How would you avoid PME without shortstroking?

The reason I'm keen to understand is that I am planning a DMR build for my next project :D

if you're running a higher fps then you'll get away with it naturally, otherwise you just accept the trade off in speed, if it's a proper dmr you're not really gonna be using full auto anyway.

Archived