UCAP Redemption

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

Can't find any write up on this Redemption yet so thought I would give my opinion.

I have mostly played cqb for the last three years (The Mall and The Billet) I have also played UCAP's The Bunker a few times and really enjoyed it, so Redemption sounded right up my alley.

I will start with the positives.

1) location.

The site is really easy to find and is bang in the middle of Pompey. 

2) The site.

The building itself is impressive. An old Victorian prison, intimidating in design. One of the of the more interesting sites I have played at. Also there is ample parking.

3) Staff.

The UCAP staff generally are brilliant. Marshalls in game are fair and approachable. Interventions aren't aggressive and tend to be constructive.

The negatives.

1) Too many players.

I heard 130 players had booked in when I got to the front of the line. I think I had a further 50 (approximately) behind me. This caused issues in a few ways. Booking in took ages, I was queueing for about 30 minutes which I don't massively mind but I felt this was eating into the games which had cost me £35. The other issue...

2) Choke points.

The site by its very design is difficult to get in and out. That combined with the massive numbers sees the proverb "fish in a barrel" realised in some of the most brutal scenes of plastic death I have ever seen. To quote a friend "it's like Airsoft bukakke" I can't comment on this but what I can say is i experienced the single most painful day of Airsoft I have ever experienced. I feel sorry for anyone who's first game was at Redemption. Essentially you 20 defenders aimed at an entrance that could one person at a time. 

Not only was it painful but it was a bit boring. Not just attacking where you attempt to breach over and over again but also defending where you were one of twenty popping shots at what ever poor git came through the door next.

The head Marshalls suggestion of chucking loads of pyro whilst probably accurate isn't really the point. I don't expect to have to pay for £25 worth of pyro just to be able to play.

3) Game modes.

This went hand in hand with the choke points. The games played didn't lend themselves to the number of players  or the site. Once game play was entirely inside (no more breaching) it became much quicker paced and with some really good moments of competitive tactical cqb. Mores game modes like this would have lead to a far more enjoyable day.

In my opinion there a few things that need to be addressed.

Pre booking or at least limit on player numbers, shorter snappier games and the opening up of other entrances (make it more difficult to defend).

Overall I wouldn't rush to go back. I really rate UCAP as a company but I feel they haven't quite figured out Redemption as a site yet. 

The overbooking is something that I have heard of a lot for this skirmish site. It's a real shame to be honest, I wouldn't even bother going to review it myself because I cannot stand crowded sites. 

This is why I love sites that have limits to their days. Sensible player counts lead to an enjoyable experience, yes you are a business and are there to make money but when you can alienate players based off one game that's when you should think about how your doing things. Raw/Airsoft GB have the right idea as does The Gaol in Oakham. By any chance do they also allow full auto in there as well? @Hunka1988

What a shame! 

With the Mall gone, and another unique CQB site fairly local to me I was planning to try this site for myself... Maybe not now though!

Overcrowding was an issue I also experienced at the Mall, with certain areas becoming a complete cluster fuck of people just stood queuing at choke points which really spoilt the game play and the overall momentum of the game. 

I appreciate these sites need to make money, but I do feel a player cap would really improve the whole day for everyone especially at smaller sites.

3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

This is why I love sites that have limits to their days. Sensible player counts lead to an enjoyable experience, yes you are a business and are there to make money but when you can alienate players based off one game that's when you should think about how your doing things. Raw/Airsoft GB have the right idea as does The Gaol in Oakham. By any chance do they also allow full auto in there as well? @Hunka1988

No, semi only. I would say the engagement distance on average is about 5 to 10 metres. With one party being on an elevation. So full auto would be carnage.

1 hour ago, clumpyedge said:

Don't go to their bunker site then...

To be honest the I don't mind the Bunker, there are so many different ways round and it's normally one on one. Redemption was more like 10 to 20 on one and from above. Top of the head shots seem to hurt the most.

Archived