First Gun Purchase

Crispy5449
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm looking to buy my son his first Airsoft gun for his Birthday.  We are both new to this (4 games in so far) so I'm not 100% on what to buy.  We've tied it down to the following, but just wanted to check if I'd made any obvious errors (battery / charger incompatibility etc).  Any advice much appreciated before I click the "go" button!

G&G Armament Combat Machine CM18 MOD1 AEG Rifle

NUPROL 8.4v 1600mAh Ni-Mh Crane Battery x 2

ASG Intelligent Auto-Stop Charger - NiMH

8Fields Tactical Cheap Airsoft Gun Bag 105x32cm

G&G Armament GR16 M4/15/16 Magazine 120rnd Mid-Cap Dual Tone

Ares 0.20g Amoeba Match Grade BB x 5000 1KG Bag

He has face protection etc already.

• Supporters

Gun- Good choice

Batteries- have a look at turnigy batteries on HobbyKing’s website

Charger- Look at the IMAX B6AC- best charger by far- if you ever quit, you can sell for good money too.

Mags- look good to me.

BBs- Never used that type, I have used ASG blasters, purchased in bulk from Patrol Base to save money. Looking at the 6MM ones now from the chap on the forum.

Change the battery connections from mini tamiya to deans- get a shop to do this if your not competent.

If you have a chance, pop to a shop, have a look around talk to the guys, try a few different weapons. 

Then come out of the shop and search the internet for reviews, and have a look for unbiased ones.

Echo @Prisce above for the most part. 

Ive only ever used nuprol batteries (Lipo not ni-mh) and they’ve been fine. 

Consider getting .25g BBs over .20g, gun will hop them fine and they’ll give better range and Bush penatration (ooo err) 

2 hours ago, Crispy5449 said:

I'm looking to buy my son his first Airsoft gun for his Birthday.  We are both new to this (4 games in so far) so I'm not 100% on what to buy.  We've tied it down to the following, but just wanted to check if I'd made any obvious errors (battery / charger incompatibility etc).  Any advice much appreciated before I click the "go" button!

G&G Armament Combat Machine CM18 MOD1 AEG Rifle

NUPROL 8.4v 1600mAh Ni-Mh Crane Battery x 2

ASG Intelligent Auto-Stop Charger - NiMH

8Fields Tactical Cheap Airsoft Gun Bag 105x32cm

G&G Armament GR16 M4/15/16 Magazine 120rnd Mid-Cap Dual Tone

Ares 0.20g Amoeba Match Grade BB x 5000 1KG Bag

He has face protection etc already.

Great first choice gun. 

Get a 7.4V lipo. More powerful then a 8.4v Ni-Mh. but wont break the gun. 

Get a Imax B6AC or Turnigy Accucell charger. 

Gun bag is fine. 

I would consider getting another Hi-cap rather then a mid. I generally go through 2 during long skirmishes (Ok maybe 3!)

Go with .25 bb's more versatile. .2s are very light for anything other then indoors. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, E21A said:

Echo @Prisce above for the most part. 

Ive only ever used nuprol batteries (Lipo not ni-mh) and they’ve been fine. 

Consider getting .25g BBs over .20g, gun will hop them fine and they’ll give better range and Bush penatration (ooo err) 

I only ever used Nuprol battery’s until @Hangtight made a post about how bad they are.  I ignored him at my peril, a year later all have swollen, not only that, they last half the time of a turnigy rated at the same stats.

Agree with going higher with BB weights. 

.25g minimum, that G&g should fling .28s perfectly.

The LiPo suggestion has taken me down a rathole into a whole new world of stuff I don't yet understand!  Are there any suggestions for which 7.4v LiPo to go for?  Looking to buy a couple with 1 hopefully lasting a full day but a 2nd as backup in case.

BB's will be changed to .25's.

• Supporters

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries-chargers/batteries/lipo.html?price=0-16&config=52&wrh=1&mode=grid&capacity=0-2025&discharge=0-30&battery_pack_use=2842

Look amongst these, look at the measurements and make sure they fit the gun your buying.

I remember hearing somewhere(it’s not 100% accurate- far from it) that 1300Mah is like 1300 shots of power. 

Search the forum for Lipo batteries and have a good read before buying, they do need a little love and attention.

2 minutes ago, Prisce said:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries-chargers/batteries/lipo.html?price=0-16&config=52&wrh=1&mode=grid&capacity=0-2025&discharge=0-30&battery_pack_use=2842

Look amongst these, look at the measurements and make sure they fit the gun your buying.

I remember hearing somewhere(it’s not 100% accurate- far from it) that 1300Mah is like 1300 shots of power. 

Search the forum for Lipo batteries and have a good read before buying, they do need a little love and attention.

I think it roughly double to mah is the number of shots but you can’t run a lipo flat, well if you want to use it again that is. 

I bought nuprols as thats that’s what local shop sells tbh, if the last me a year i’ll Be happy then buy some better quality ones. 

Just now, E21A said:

I think it roughly double to mah is the number of shots but you can’t run a lipo flat, well if you want to use it again that is. 

I bought nuprols as thats that’s what local shop sells tbh, if the last me a year i’ll Be happy then buy some better quality ones. 

I have 3 Nuprol Lipos which have been chugging along for 18 months quite happily. Always put them into storage mode after Sundays. 

• Supporters

If it fits in the space get the biggest you can .

11 hours ago, Asomodai said:

I have 3 Nuprol Lipos which have been chugging along for 18 months quite happily. Always put them into storage mode after Sundays. 

Good to hear. I’m not particularly kind to mind, they get taken out of the guns at the end of the day and put straight in a lipo bag and stored in the garage until the night before the next game day. 

You've got good choices there, agree with the BBs - my favourite ones to use are Blaster Devil .28s, however the regular Blast .25s work fine too. 9.6 Nimh with a deans connector is good.

Archived