Choosing a rifle - I do not choose well it seems

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

On Sunday, I fielded three rifles at different times.
I think the time has come for me to admit that I am not fit enough to effectively use my MWS any more.
The rifle, combined with only 5 mags (+1) was just too much for me to carry and keep moving at anything approaching a competitive speed.
My new SVU was great, but weighed too much, so I've sold it.
The Vector was ace, as always, but lacked real range.
For the first time I was at a site that actually had targets had measured ranges - so there was 25m, 35m and 50m.
Up to 35m the Vector was spot on - at 50m, it was getting there - just.
I seem to have nothing that will actually do what I want it to.
Tbf, I think it might be my expectations. I know I can shoot well - I've been into air rifles since I was old enough to hold a gun. My Dad taught me to shoot an old Diana when I was about 7. And my last air rifle was an FX Wildcat. 
So I generally expect to hit what I'm aiming at. But I'm not. And the main issue is range.
To a degree, I'm resolving that with a sniper when it comes.
But I still need something for when I'm not feeling sneaky.
I need something:
Light (turns out my left arm is permanently knackered 😞 - so it gets fatigued really quickly. In game, this is from both carrying the rifle and manipulating heavy mags. I drop stuff really easily, cos I only have one fully working finger left on my left hand.).
Excellent range
Consistently accurate
Wife has suggested that I should sell all my guns and start from scratch. To be honest, it's not a bad idea, so I'm going to sell some of them, so I have a decent wedge for guns/mags/batteries.
Any suggestions or advice most welcome.

43 minutes ago, E21A said:

CM16 with a decent barrel/hop/rubber setup. It’ll be light, use hi caps to reduce mag changes? 

Wouldnt cost you you much to find out if it suits your needs. 

Is that a similar level of rif to a nuprol defender pioneer?

Just now, sonofsammo said:

340fps??

How?

Upgrade the spring - Fire Support do an add on pack for TM Recoils that includes spring upgrade and lipo battery fitment.  TBH I think most AEGS struggle to reach upto and beyond 50m.  I use 45m as a benchmark for the performance of my guns anything else is a bonus. 

What I suggested is very light and balanced, the Scar being mostly polymer and thinwall aluminium.

As @EvilMonkee said you can buy upgrade packs from some retailers, but yes a spring upgrade and cylinder/barrel volume match will see you upto 340fps and power heavy weight BBs.

A quality Rhop setup on a TM recoil will see you an effective 65M range. And yes that is measured.

PS @sonofsammo just noticed your comment at the bottom of all your posts! :D

Considering your left arm is knackered (And I am biased) I would recommend a light bullpup. Possibly the TM High Cycle AUG? What little weight there is, is at the back of the rifle so your right shoulder and right arm takes the strain, your left arm is just used to hold the foregrip. 

15 minutes ago, BigStew said:

Aug high cycle is a good shout but a TM mp5 high cycle will be lighter than an aug

All the weight at the front with the Drum mag ;)

I would suggest ARP but it is full metal so it's lighter than full length metal guns but not as light as plastic guns of the same size.

As some who shoots alot of Air Rifles and Rifles I know that annoyance from missing easy shots due to range but that's the part of the deal of not having real guns.

I hope the sniper helps more!

(I would recommend a shooting stick for the sniper if your left arm is knackered)

3 minutes ago, Game Cam said:

I would suggest ARP but it is full metal so it's lighter than full length metal guns but not as light as plastic guns of the same size.

As some who shoots alot of Air Rifles and Rifles I know that annoyance from missing easy shots due to range but that's the part of the deal of not having real guns.

I hope the sniper helps more!

(I would recommend a shooting stick for the sniper if your left arm is knackered)

I've got an ARP9 - but its range is less than the Vector.
Good call on the shooting stick - Cheers, will have a look.

1 minute ago, sonofsammo said:

I've got an ARP9 - but its range is less than the Vector.
Good call on the shooting stick - Cheers, will have a look.

How much do you care about aiming down sights?

Cause you might wana think about a sling.

I can shoot my CA M249 one handed while I'm carrying a objective using a sling - it's off the hip shooting but you can kind of eyeball it on to targets.

But I do know some sites really don't like shooting from the hip while others don't mind if you are looking where you are shooting.

Just another idea.

5 minutes ago, Game Cam said:

How much do you care about aiming down sights?

Cause you might wana think about a sling.

I can shoot my CA M249 one handed while I'm carrying a objective using a sling - it's off the hip shooting but you can kind of eyeball it on to targets.

But I do know some sites really don't like shooting from the hip while others don't mind if you are looking where you are shooting.

Just another idea.

It depends what I'm shooting with and what I'm shooting at.
If I'm using the arp9 with drum mag, then I don't use sights, I just walk the BBs onto the target.
If it's my MWS, with only 35rds in a mag, then I use a sight..

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Davegolf said:

TM Scar recoil shock, 340 FPS, Rhop. Done

I disagree with this. 

My Tm scar is very heavy for a standard gun. I wouldn’t recommend it.

My first recommendation would be to bin all furniture. It’s not needed and adds too much weight. 

My second recommendation would be get a light m4 with 2-3 hi caps or a drum mag, (firehawk gets my recommendation, my brothers is evil and I can use 1 handed).

You say you have an ARP that isn’t working to your expectations.  Get a Tech to work on it? Depending on how much you want to spend on the gun, and on Ammo would depend on what I’d recommend. Get it to work exactly how you want it.

OR you can do my favourite thing, pistols, upgraded, lots of mags.   

OR speak to @rocketdogbert about his remote mag for a pistol.... I still aim to do this, once life lets me.

2 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

😎

11 minutes ago, Prisce said:

I disagree with this. 

My first recommendation would be to bin all furniture. It’s not needed and adds too much weight. 

My second recommendation would be get a light m4 with 2-3 hi caps or a drum mag, (firehawk gets my recommendation, my brothers is evil and I can use 1 handed).

You say you have an ARP that isn’t working to your expectations.  Get a Tech to work on it? Depending on how much you want to spend on the gun, and on Ammo would depend on what I’d recommend. Get it to work exactly how you want it.

OR you can do my favourite thing, pistols, upgraded, lots of mags.   

OR speak to @rocketdogbert about his remote mag for a pistol.... I still aim to do this, once life lets me.

I already have... 😉 
And have experienced the remote mag, but it wasn't for me. It seems I don't like hpa.

I'd say the best call so far is a light weight good quality shortish m4 with a high cap. Like the CM range although there are other good polymer guns, just can't think of any off the top of my head. Maybe ICS. keep it short, I wouldn't say fire hawk due to the short barrel. Although bang a reasonable length light weight silencer on like the lees precision engineering and a good quality extended inner barrel ,hop and cylinder to match would do the job. Maybe a spring to bump it up to site limit to get the most out of it. Whatever you get a nice barrel and hop work wonders.

Thanks for all the advice so far chaps.
Just a question about TM EBBs - are they all created equal?
Cos the price varies dramatically, from £375 all the way up to £625.
Is the £559 devgru significantly better than the £389 TM36C, for example?

Just to chime in here, have had TM recoils in the past, brilliant RIF's by all means and if you havent had one before definitely worth it but I am currently using a Krytac SPR, incredible performance out of the box possibly the best I have had from new and find it massive fun, it is a normal AEG but just always felt like I was going to break my TM recoil with ROF or bashing it about (non upgraded to be fair), I would say consider the new Krytac range also use a prometheus barrel and firefly bucking to add a bit of extra range but really doesn't need it (I know you had a vector but the rifles have longer range in my experiance) but if the budget allows a fully upgraded TM recoil will out do any RIF (looking to get the new LMG as it suits my play style!)

They are not they all have the tm performance but the g36 and older AK models do not cut out on empty . If you want the lightest with bolt lock I think its the 416c. Although I would not consider any metal receiver AR light, even the small ones.

ICS guns are made of lead lined marble.

Get an Ares Amoeba CCR, polymer body, decent gearbox and all the electronics you need (fcu and mosfet)

all the (non existent) weight is on your right arm, takes M4 mags so you have plenty to choose from.

ARP9 for memes. The CCR with a few mods here and there can be made into a lighter ARP, with an adapter you can even fit the drum mag.

Range is given by muzzle energy (Joules, not FPS) and the hop up/bb weight combo.

Full cylinder and short barrel may up the energy a little when using heavy bbs (Joule Creep)

Flat hop or R-Hop if you can be arsed to do it/pay for it. .25s or .28s can reach up to stupid distances for such a small package.

Of course everything can be made lighter by switching to HPA (gearbox says thanks, you arm will as well, your wallet won't though, wallets can be assholes sometimes), downside being the need for a tank and a line attached to the gun. You can also opt for an airstock (wolverine wraith??) if you don't use 5000 bbs per day, and eliminate the line + tank strapped to your back.

5 hours ago, Prisce said:

I disagree with this. 

I did miss out ditch the recoil assembly (lots of weight), then it's nice and light, battery in stock.

For the most part the price variation is down to cost of externals and popularity.

As mentioned some don't have bolt lock.

If you want long effective range you will need Rhop.

If you don't mind spending a little more on upgrading, THE lightest and one handed weildable gun out there is a P90.

Your left arm won't really have anything to do, plus they are sooo quiet.

Archived