Convert to DMR?

GOODS
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys and girls,

I have recently purchased my first gun = G&G 13.5" wildhog.

I have so far had the following upgrades;

• spring
  • r hop
  • seals
  • angle of engagement

I tend to use semi-automatic most of the time and find myself in positions that are a slightly out of range. After doing some research and speaking to fellow airsofters at events i was thinking about converting my gun to a DMR.

The shop who have been carrying-out my upgrade works have said it is now illegal to do so? Even if they lock my gun to semi-automatic only? Is this true as i cannot find anything online to support this?

I only bought the gun 4 weeks ago so i don't really want to buy another gun. And hints/tips for further range than i currently have would be greatly appreciated!

Karl

• Supporters

As far as I am aware it is not illegal. 

If you turn it into a DMR you have to lock it to semi, even electrically or mechanically. It CANNOT fire full auto otherwise it is illegal.

Theres a load more complex details to it, but I stick to the basics.

I think they used "illegal" to mask lack of ability 😉... Wouldn't be the first time someone used an excuse to hide their inability to do a job.

Quite surprised if that is the case to be honest as the guy seems quite knowledgeable...but it doesn't make sense to turn away the work as it seems like it can be done!

TL;DR - lock it to semi and you can go up to 2.5J, without locking to semi, you can go up to 1.3J.

The only legal guidance regarding limits that I have found is this:
https://www.ukapu.org.uk/articles/ukapu-news/changes-to-airsoft-power-limit-enforcement/

Capable of automatic? Must be under 1.3J - otherwise it becomes a section 5 firearm, which means jail time without a licence.
Single shot? Under 2.5J and you're golden. Over 2.5J and it's no longer an airsoft gun, but an air rifle and so can't be used on airsoft sites to shoot at other people. Seems reasonable. 😄

Get the full auto locked and research on upgrading the gear box parts.  It depends on how much money you want to spend on it.  Be interesting to see what everyone else thinks and how they go about it.

Just now, sonofsammo said:

TL;DR - lock it to semi and you can go up to 2.5J, without locking to semi, you can go up to 1.3J.

The only legal guidance regarding limits that I have found is this:
https://www.ukapu.org.uk/articles/ukapu-news/changes-to-airsoft-power-limit-enforcement/

Capable of automatic? Must be under 1.3J - otherwise it becomes a section 5 firearm, which means jail time without a licence.
Single shot? Under 2.5J and you're golden. Over 2.5J and it's no longer an airsoft gun, but an air rifle and so can't be used on airsoft sites to shoot at other people. Seems reasonable. 😄

Thanks i'll have a read up!

1 minute ago, Dino said:

Get the full auto locked and research on upgrading the gear box parts.  It depends on how much money you want to spend on it.  Be interesting to see what everyone else thinks and how they go about it.

I'd rather spend the money necessary and do it once! I have already mentioned to the tech guy at the shop i want it locked. I knew it had to be locked. Still wasn't interested though... Annoying as i bought the gun from there and want them to do it whilst it had warranty with them!😉

If your Rhop is working well and you are currently at 350fps? then you should have a respectable range and accuracy. Circa effective 65M.

Whats your DMR FPS limit?

You lose a lot of ground to MED for a negligible gain in effective range.

Not only because of the FPS difference, but lack of firing from a closed bolt.

Food for thought? :)

^this. 

If your DMR limit is only 400 FPS (50fps increase) on an electric gun, it really isn’t worth it. You’ll get a few extra meters, but you’ll loose the option of all round play if you have a MED. If it’s 450fps then it would potentially be worth it. 

• Supporters
15 hours ago, GOODS said:

The shop who have been carrying-out my upgrade works have said it is now illegal to do so?

Which shop staffed by idiots should we be avoiding?

If they don't want the work, that's fine.  Telling you that it's a criminal offence should be a criminal offence.

Tip: whenever anyone declares that anything is "illegal", say "Gosh, really?  How awful.  What Act and section creates the offence?"  Feel free to whip out your electronical device of choice and offer to look it up on the spot.

• Supporters
27 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Which shop staffed by idiots should we be avoiding?

yeah, name & shame these idiots 😉

Archived