Minimum age in airsoft

Solly4568
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I was playing at my local field this weekend and a father (who was awesome) had bought his two very young kids (7-8) along and it got me thinking about if there was a minimum age for play and if not do you think there should be.

I would also like to say that I personly have no problem with younger people getting into the sport and I wish my father had done the same for me and the two kids where very well behaved but I think that younger kids would be more prone to making mistakes with airsoft guns which the sport does not need

• Supporters

In general, I'm in favour of treating people the way that they act.  Some children can be surprisingly responsible.  Some adults can act out like hyperactive infants, or simply be not right in the head (and sadly I've seen one such at airsoft) .

However, in the event of one of those kids inflicting or suffering injuries, I'd hate to think of the legal wrangle that would ensue.  I doubt that their insurers would be much impressed if a claim were made against the site.

Worse might be the bad press.  It would only take one Daily Rant campaign against "GUN obsessed THUGS endangering KIDS with FULLY automatic PELLET GUNS" to pop us on the State's radar.

I think the minimum age at our local site is 13. I would be worried about kids much younger than that getting hurt , not necessarily by getting hit with a BB but running around the woods accidents do happen and folk do get hurt. Local site does laser tag too on a much flatter site and I don't think they have a minimum age for that. We share the safe zone so most of the kids start turning up for airsoft as soon as they are old enough 😁

57 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

In general, I'm in favour of treating people the way that they act.  Some children can be surprisingly responsible.  Some adults can act out like hyperactive infants, or simply be not right in the head (and sadly I've seen one such at airsoft) .

I completely agree, I've had more issues with 'adults' cheating or just being overall gobshites than kids, but I still think that 13 is probably the minimum, mostly due to injuries and stuff. I've seen some right arseholes barge past people smaller than them and act all high and mighty when called out, so I'd hate to think what'd happen to a small child in those circumstances. 

Its a good point I think it just depends on there general attitude played a game recently where a young lad (13) knew the site way better than me so I appointed him team leader he was a good lad and a better sport than most adults I've crossed paths with. If they are younger then thats on the parent to keep them in line,safe and for that matter teach them about good sportsmanship  

• Supporters

Yeah I've met some real manchilds at some of my games. I'd say about 12 personally. That's what, year 8 in highschool? 

That being said if somebody younger was interested in the sport then by all means invite them along. Just as long as they've got someone watching out for em' and understand the rules and act responsibly. 

• Supporters

I’m in the 14 and above to play camp my self , simply because no matter how many “man ups” or “don’t be a pussy” you get from the ‘hard man operators’ of Airsoft it still can bloody hurt and leaves some nasty marks and before you know it you’ve got some irate mother kicking off wether at the site or just the poor sap that took the kid along , and my general experience from work (I’m an A&E nurse) is that it’s not till about 12-13’ish onwards kids start to handle pain and injuries more sensibly and are less likely to over react to the situation as younger kids will . Over the yrs I’ve seen few (as have most players I’d think) younger kids be all gung ho at the start of the game but then have a total meltdown when they get hit close in and they started crying and giving it the dying duck act and before you know it it’s all going to ratshit and I takes ages to get the day back on track . 

Last time I went to a well known CQB site in Gloucester there was a guy there with his kids and some of there friends (think it was a B’day for his kid) any hoo all looked around 10-12’ish his kid was well behaved and played well but the others were right little William Ankers and caused no end of trouble over kill/not taking hits/screaming blue murder when everyone lost patients and gave it back to them .so yes its a difficult one . 

10 minutes ago, Gepard said:

That being said if somebody younger was interested in the sport then by all means invite them along. Just as long as they've got someone watching out for em' and understand the rules and act responsibly. 

that is what it really boils down to because if they are running around like headless chickens and not properly playing the game then it spoils the whole day. I just have nightmares about a 5-year-old with a Tommy gun wandering into the save zone and accidentally mowing everyone down Just imagine the headlines😂

• Supporters

I judge it on mental age rather than physical age, i've seen 10 year old kids playing like proper sportsmen and i've seen 50 year old men acting like immature idiots.

As far as i'm concerned the only distinction of importance in airsoft is wether  you're a cheating **** or an honest player, aside from that i couldnt give a monkeys who or what you are.

• Moderators

i think the 13/14 yr sounds about right, so year 8 or 9. Imagine a 7yr old getting hit at the limit of MED with a 500 sniper!

again though they need parental supervision or parents remain on site, that happens at one of the sites i play, i believe, usually sitting on their phones in the car park!,....but as also being a father myself, (and my 9 yr old showing some interest) i keep a eye on them at times if i see them playing and check up now and again when in game, and tbh they always seem fine and having fun unlike some others!. ive been in a two man team with one of the youngsters at Tuddenham once, he called his dad over 3 times to get a spare mag and 3 times his dad got lit up and had to respawn, kid almost wet himself! :lol: :lol:

at the end of the day its up to the insurance companies isn't it?, they must have a legal limit for minimum age?

IQ tests.. All it takes.

Here we accept people that are around 14/15yo, but we have an interview before they actually join the club.

It's not a real interview, it's more like chatting with the shop owner and whoever team member is there at the moment..

We only want to make sure the person knows what airsoft is about, if they can handle cheating without screaming like little girls and that, especially while dealing with minors, their parents get to know a few members before leaving their kids at 7 am on a Sunday morning in front of the shop.

A couple of passages went missing as this Sunday we had a new kid (he must be around 14), he bought a gun, a bdu and a plate carrier, some cheap eyepro and showed up at the shop.

First game I noticed something wrong, he got submerged in bbs and didn't call the hit (he was right in front of me, in my team, it was impossible to not see that).. After the game I asked him why he did that and he told me he didn't know the rules -.-"

So I spent a whole game teaching him the basics, he looked happy that someone spent time with him instead of leaving him to his own fate..

Tl;dr version: most new kids should be guided through the basics, since they take it seriously (being among the big guys often makes then feel way more responsible than what they probably are) they tend to follow the rules to the letter, making them better players than some manchildren :P

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Skara said:

We only want to make sure the person knows what airsoft is about, if they can handle cheating without screaming like little girls and that, especially while dealing with minors, their parents get to know a few members before leaving their kids at 7 am on a Sunday morning in front of the shop.

Here, working with minors, you require a DBS check..... this is bordering that i guess as i wouldn't want to leave mine with some one i didn't know.... even if you do know them in game....do you really know them

Im covered, although mine only 'covers' Football!

19 minutes ago, Skara said:

First game I noticed something wrong, he got submerged in bbs and didn't call the hit (he was right in front of me, in my team, it was impossible to not see that).. After the game I asked him why he did that and he told me he didn't know the rules -.-"

So I spent a whole game teaching him the basics, he looked happy that someone spent time with him instead of leaving him to his own fate..

That i like, and at the end he appreciated it :)

We don't have anything like DBS here, it all comes down to trust.. And parents must really be trusting us given our faces lol!

Also yeah, I remember being a kid and whenever I was in a group of people older than me I wasn't keen on asking for information (yeh I was a bit shy), luckily the first time I played in the team I already had some experience in airsoft, I also was 17 and the others were "only" 10 years older than me, so the age gap wasn't THAT big.

Nowadays in the club we have 15yo people playing with others being 50+

That's a big difference that can lead to odd looks when talking about it, especially in these days when we hear about rapes and child abuse pretty much every day ;)

Nonetheless I'll keep an eye on this kid, to see if he needs help with anything, I guess after 17 years of being a scout (5 of which as an educator) I don't have any problem in dealing with kids :P

always happy to see new (younger) faces around, it means airsoft isn't dead in this shithole country and surprisingly they don't talk about videogames too much :D

The site where I play will take kids from 12 plus as long as they are wearing full face masks and other safety gear.

My son is very keen to play and will be 12 next year. He is a sensible lad and will behave himself, especially as he will be glued to my side. The acid test will be when he takes his first shot in somewhere sensitive, lol.

Otherwise, I all for kids playing if they well behaved and play in the true spirit of the game.

My son started playing when he was 12. He's now 15 and has good experience of airsoft. He's always called his hits & listened to advice by experienced players and has now become a bit of a veteran at the site we go to.

He's fearless and has a good tactical awareness and has turned out to be a much better player than me by a long way.

Kids can be good at things like Airsoft, they just need the right attitude, have a willingness to learn and above all else play by the rules. Its down to their personality, if they are a good kid they will always do well.   

8 hours ago, Fumps said:

My son started playing when he was 12. He's now 15 and has good experience of airsoft. He's always called his hits & listened to advice by experienced players and has now become a bit of a veteran at the site we go to.

Its this all day...

I dont mind kids being on site, what I dislike are the ones who get dropped off and left to it for the day who seem to be the little shits on site. Kids who are with a group of adults or stick with parents/any other adult who has a decent level of gameplay then theres generally no problem.

I suppose legally its all upto the site and their insurance to work out! But somewhere around the 12 or 14+ mark seems logical really.

Yeah any younger and it becomes a pain

2 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

I dont mind kids being on site, what I dislike are the ones who get dropped off and left to it for the day who seem to be the little shits on site. Kids who are with a group of adults or stick with parents/any other adult who has a decent level of gameplay then theres generally no problem.

but at the same time, I have found that many of the new kids enjoy being taken under the wing by an older veteran to have them explain the rules and play with them because at the end of the day we all just want to grow the sport and have fun 

I was at the same site where the youngsters you refer to aged 8 and 10 were playing. The 8 year old was well behaved apart from trying to be sneaky and hide up before the wall game LOL. His dad said watch him as he likes to sneak up behind you and shoot you in the butt.

The site minimum age is 10 for insurance purposes and the lads father a regular at the site had to sign a waiver before he was allowed to play.

I make a point of trying not to shoot kids at short distances and on three occasions during the day I chose to say bang instead of shooting a youngster at close range one or two meters in the village. The youngsters backed up then came forward again and lit me up! One was blind firing through a window so I gave him a telling off the others I tried to explain the spirit of the game and why I had chosen not to shoot them.

My opinion on age is 10 is about right only if accompanied by an adult while playing and 12 if not with an adult.

Oh and I am the old git of 64 still playing.

No that's my son in law did he scare you too LOL

I don't run much at my age more a fast amble.

I was using the E&L all metal and wood AK

On 19/11/2018 at 19:23, Druid799 said:

I’m in the 14 and above to play camp my self , simply because no matter how many “man ups” or “don’t be a pussy” you get from the ‘hard man operators’ of Airsoft it still can bloody hurt and leaves some nasty marks and before you know it you’ve got some irate mother kicking off wether at the site or just the poor sap that took the kid along , and my general experience from work (I’m an A&E nurse) is that it’s not till about 12-13’ish onwards kids start to handle pain and injuries more sensibly and are less likely to over react to the situation as younger kids will . Over the yrs I’ve seen few (as have most players I’d think) younger kids be all gung ho at the start of the game but then have a total meltdown when they get hit close in and they started crying and giving it the dying duck act and before you know it it’s all going to ratshit and I takes ages to get the day back on track . 

Last time I went to a well known CQB site in Gloucester there was a guy there with his kids and some of there friends (think it was a B’day for his kid) any hoo all looked around 10-12’ish his kid was well behaved and played well but the others were right little William Ankers and caused no end of trouble over kill/not taking hits/screaming blue murder when everyone lost patients and gave it back to them .so yes its a difficult one . 

I had my son in law doing the pain dance in the first game on Sunday when you shoot your team mate back in, oops was on auto 2metres away. I had to laugh.

o no, he was not scary at all. one minute I was pew pewing casually and the next a massive guy in a predator mask, dual wielding m4 pistols appears behind me and I suddenly need new underwear😂

also, can you say thanks to him for helping me find my grenade 😀

Yes no problem your post made me laugh!

Did you see him when he hid in the bin and popped up just as they were about to rush us and shot them all good footage on his head cam.

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, gasman said:

I don't run much at my age more a fast amble.

Hay don’t knock it we ‘tactical amblers’ usualy live a LOT longer than the charging young’uns ! 😉

Archived