SE Tour Review: Ace Combat (Kent)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Site Name: Ace Combat

Telephone number: 01303814803

Website Address: https://acecombat.co.uk/

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/AcecombatA/

Site Address: Brenchley, Tonbridge TN12 7DG

My battle buddy and I popped along to Ace Combat on Today. This is one of the oldest airsoft sites still in existence at around about 12 years old. Previous online and in person reviews have been very positive. 

It is a Medium sized woodland/open field site. a fair few cover positions but not many buildings. One or two natural pathways.  Medium to long engagement distances. Very little in the way of water features beyond puddles. Some fairly large hard to see holes in the undergrowth (due to autumnal leaves). One or two fairly large open field sections for sniping. 

Good:

Opportunistic field of play: Due to the layout of the woodland areas, it is fairly easy to get around the enemy and shoot down the flanks in surprise. Lots of layered cover. 

Game Modes: Detailed though somewhat complicated game modes were available. Multi point bases and capture the flag modes. One particular mode was a big miss, but the rest was pretty good. 

Marshalling: Were pretty hands off on the field and chilled. Player marshals were quite useful. 

Pyro: Whilst the pyro that players were allowed to use were limited (No TAG rounds). The site uses some pretty powerful pyro in the middle of scenarios which can create genuine atmosphere and fear. 

Strict Chrono: Everybody had a number on their armbands which was linked to the chrono sheet/weapons used. This is a fairly good way of keeping track of what weapons players were using on the field and if there was a problem, they could see if it was chronoed or not. They were very strict on Chrono and didn't allow any exceptions. DMR limit is high at 450 FPS as it should be.

Average: 

N/A: Quite polarising. 

Bad:

Food: Poor selection available. Either Bacon rolls for lunch or egg for vegetarians. As someone who does not eat pork and hates egg, it was a bit of a let down with no alternative apart from a small selection of chocolate and crisps. 

Safe Zone: One of the smallest safe zones we have been to, it is essentially a small cutting at the side of a dirt track, some undercover space but we had to go out of site behind the shipping container and setup on the mud which was pretty much the only space available, If it had been raining we would have been completely soaked. This was a pretty terrible experience. 

Shop: Quite frankly, one of the worst shops we have seen on a site. No weapons for sale, there was a boneyard section which had things that were beyond useful. There was a fairly good selection of gas and bb's. Very few mags and eyepro variety's. 

Parking: Parking was limited with players have to park in front of others essentially blocking them in. Everyone got a space, but whether you would call it a space is pushing the limits of the imagination. 

Safety brief/mission briefs: We felt that both were a bit too long. The safety brief did to its credit cover everything, but I have seen them delivered better elsewhere. Mission briefs were also long winded. Players fidgeted quite a bit after a while. 

Bang Rule: Not a huge fan of this. Never seen it in use at all the sites we have reviewed. Didn't really work very well.

No range: The range was closed outside of Chrono. You were not allowed onto the field to test your weapons if it was during a break or lunch. 

Toilets: Two portacabins close to the safe zone. Not the best. 

Conclusion: 

For £26 we think you can go to better sites in Kent. The playing area was OK, but nothing special. The clientele was neither good nor bad, some decent players, the rental kids needed a bit of guidance and tended to lose heart quite easily. What lets the site down is the things going on out of the playing area. The safe zone was a very poor experience and put a damper on the day. The turnout was pretty big at around 80-100 many of which appeared to be regulars, which is good for a site in the middle of nowhere, but we don't quite see what they seem to be seeing.  

Unfortunately we aren't fans. 

Bullpup Watch: Two, a Cyma F2000 and a P90 (Though again, its not a real bullpup!) I brought three guns and for a first, none of them were bullpups. Figures that one of them was too hot for the site and the other ones hop up failed straight away. 

Note: Photo attached is of the battlebuddy with his new Cyma G36 I got him for his birthday . I somehow managed to tear apart his gearbox the night before to downgrade and rebuild in time for the day. (I am dead proud!)

Cyma.jpg

18 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Thanks for the balanced review.

Expect salty bawling from the site though. ;)

Do they have previous? :)

• Supporters

you'd think after 12 years they'd have a put a bit more in to the facilities ?.

site I'll be avoiding!

@asomodai, have you & your buddy played Combat South Woodland , it used to be the benchmark that other woodland sites could only dream of mirroring.

40 minutes ago, Tackle said:

you'd think after 12 years they'd have a put a bit more in to the facilities ?.

site I'll be avoiding!

@asomodai, have you & your buddy played Combat South Woodland , it used to be the benchmark that other woodland sites could only dream of mirroring.

It's not one we have considered, but I can definitely put it on the list! We have Cool Under Fire and Battle Paintball (The Zoo) coming up in the next two weekends. We'll have a break over Christmas and get back to it in January. Why would it be considered a benchmark?

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Why would it be considered a benchmark?

it consistently came top in player surveys etc for years, excellent covered safezone with dedicated catering staff, good marshalling & gameplay scenarios, as well as a large varied site, including a vietnam village.

my old team went there a few times, never had a bad day, in fact we even booked the site for a private game, & even though there was only about 24 players, they looked after us just as they would for a regular gameday with 80+ players.👍

• Supporters
2 hours ago, s4m317 said:

Although I disagree with most of the things you’ve said. I have no problem not seeing you here again. 

Instead of making an arsey remark, why not explain why you feel his review is incorrect ?

or are you the site "owner" ?

12 hours ago, Tackle said:

Instead of making an arsey remark, why not explain why you feel his review is incorrect ?

or are you the site "owner" ?

I have mulled over this. I knew that at somepoint someone would take issue to a review of mine. I am surprised it took so long! 

Having been to around 15 different sites in the same number of months, I'd like to think I had a good idea of what is the median of values in Airsoft Sites. 

Most of my negatives of Ace Combat are comparisons based upon the other 14 sites. It's true the food selection was poor, the safe zone wasn't large enough and my battle buddy and I along with some others had to set up in the mud behind the shipping container, the parking situation was difficult, the range was closed for most of the day and so on. If anyone have seen my other reviews, they will know that I don't make stuff up, I go into sites as neutral as possible.

Ace Combat was not the worst site I have visited by a stretch. 

I can only imagine three reasons how anyone can take offense.

* The negative about the over long briefing, which could be construed as being a complaint against the individual giving it.

*The overall amount of negatives in the review.

*A loyal customer, marshall or owner who may not have seen what I have seen over the past year or so. 

In an age where reviews can be incredibly biased or worse bought, I think it is important that someone writes about what they really think about a product, experience or service. I am not a yes man in the slightest, but I give credit where credit is due. What a site owner or marshal does with the review is up to them. They can either defend themselves and/or deny that the experience I had was true (Though I have done nothing to suggest that I was lying). Or they can take the criticism and try and improve the site which is something that all airsofters would want. 

It would be better for every Airsofter if a site owner said to me "Come back, we have improved things and I want to show you". 

• Supporters

Thing is, you've played, & continue to play a LOT of sites, so you've got reasonable expectations when you try (& review) somewhere new, & why not, we're all paying for our gamedays, no ones doing us a favour by opening a site, so if a sites been operating for 12 years it's not unreasonable to expect half decent facilities.

your actual review was pretty fair in that the actual gameplay etc was good, the main negative for me was the poor safezone, I, like many other players could turn up on an average skirmish with at least a grands worth of kit, maybe nearer two if my lads with me, so the idea that a site owner thinks I'm gonna be happy sticking it in a muddy puddle etc, because that's all that's available doesn't sit well with me.

im a big believer that in order to offer a good service (IN ANY INDUSTRY), then you need to know what the best of your competitors offer, & if you can't beat it then try damn hard to match it, even if it means reinvesting profit sometimes to achieve that, anything less is lazy or greedy, probably both.

3 hours ago, Tackle said:

Thing is, you've played, & continue to play a LOT of sites, so you've got reasonable expectations when you try (& review) somewhere new, & why not, we're all paying for our gamedays, no ones doing us a favour by opening a site, so if a sites been operating for 12 years it's not unreasonable to expect half decent facilities.

your actual review was pretty fair in that the actual gameplay etc was good, the main negative for me was the poor safezone, I, like many other players could turn up on an average skirmish with at least a grands worth of kit, maybe nearer two if my lads with me, so the idea that a site owner thinks I'm gonna be happy sticking it in a muddy puddle etc, because that's all that's available doesn't sit well with me.

im a big believer that in order to offer a good service (IN ANY INDUSTRY), then you need to know what the best of your competitors offer, & if you can't beat it then try damn hard to match it, even if it means reinvesting profit sometimes to achieve that, anything less is lazy or greedy, probably both.

Absolutely. 

In my AP review, I pointed out that the safe zone wasn't fully covered. A few months later they put up a brand new quality roof so everything is now under cover. 

When I mentioned that the Chislehurst site was a little compact (But used it very well) a few months later they announced they were adding a larger section. 

I highly doubt that the improvements were made because of my reviews, I think sites are perfectly aware of their weaknesses. Whether they act on those weaknesses, is up to them. 

I never said the review was "incorrect", I was merely stating I don't agree with a lot that has been said. This is a discussion forum in which people are entitled to their own opinion. I am not the site owner, no.

• Supporters
15 hours ago, s4m317 said:

I have no problem not seeing you here again. 

13 minutes ago, s4m317 said:

I am not the site owner, no.

So why the dick comment then ?, not so much part of a discussion😉

4 hours ago, s4m317 said:

I never said the review was "incorrect", I was merely stating I don't agree with a lot that has been said. This is a discussion forum in which people are entitled to their own opinion. I am not the site owner, no.

Though stating your opinion is not a discussion, I would like to know what you disagree about Asomodia's review. 

The dick comment would have been made because although some of the issues raised are correct the vast majority is born of ignorance and laziness to have a conversation with either the marshals or even the site owners whom are accessible a good amount of time from my experience. One convo with them would explain away most of the issues. Fair enough some point are valid but a lot are out of the owners control. However when it comes to the marshals hands off approach this is nothing more than  false xDD the reason I come back week in week out is because of how well the games are marshalled. Maybe give sites a couple of tries before leaving reviews that could be misconstrued :)

This is a pretty ignorant review of perhaps one of the best managed sites there is. complaining about the food when it is free, complaining about the shop when there isn’t one they just have essentialls for you to buy. the safe zone is more than big enough for the player base and complaining about the size of the car park and safe zone size is ignorant because that is not under the control of the owner as this is the landowners property. Complaining about a long safety brief? Who cares! It’s for your own safety, remember some people there have never played airsoft before. The bang rule is optional not compulsory,  the range is closed but you can ask a marshal to go there with you. Play more and learn a bit about the site before making false comments. There marshals there are the best there is, the games flow and cheating is next to non existent, easily the best site in kent for those who want to make an educated opinion.

• Supporters
30 minutes ago, mattkirk1995 said:

The dick comment would have been made because although some of the issues raised are correct the vast majority is born of ignorance and laziness to have a conversation with either the marshals or even the site owners whom are accessible a good amount of time from my experience. One convo with them would explain away most of the issues. Fair enough some point are valid but a lot are out of the owners control. However when it comes to the marshals hands off approach this is nothing more than  false xDD the reason I come back week in week out is because of how well the games are marshalled. Maybe give sites a couple of tries before leaving reviews that could be misconstrued :)

16 minutes ago, Wosabi said:

This is a pretty ignorant review of perhaps one of the best managed sites there is. complaining about the food when it is free, complaining about the shop when there isn’t one they just have essentialls for you to buy. the safe zone is more than big enough for the player base and complaining about the size of the car park and safe zone size is ignorant because that is not under the control of the owner as this is the landowners property. Complaining about a long safety brief? Who cares! It’s for your own safety, remember some people there have never played airsoft before. The bang rule is optional not compulsory,  the range is closed but you can ask a marshal to go there with you. Play more and learn a bit about the site before making false comments. There marshals there are the best there is, the games flow and cheating is next to non existent, easily the best site in kent for those who want to make an educated opinion.

as far as site reviews go, this one wasn't that bad, so I don't actually know why you guys are joining the forum just to get your panties all knotted up😜.

the whole point of a review is its not meant to be staged, forwarning staff will just lead to bullshit being spouted by way of an explanation, but it has to be said that the gameplay wasn't slated, just that the playing area is a bit meh, but unfortunately most of the sites on the northern side of Kent are like that, its flat orchard/hops country so often featureless.

On the points that are raised, my opinion on those is mixed:

Range= I can take it or leave it, always laugh when I see punters blasting magloads on the range, save it for the gaming ffs.

Food= Nothings "free", if an organiser has chosen to include it in the price then it should be of a reasonable quality & choice, personally I again am not bothered, unless I'm aware the catering set up is VERY good, I'm inclined to give it a miss, nobody wants Delhi belly midgame lol.

SHOP: Not essential, I go there to play not shop, that said, a stash of gas/bb's/eyepro will ensure nobody turns up & then can't play (better put batteries on the list too).

BANG RULE: Got no problem with these, I'm there to shoot people but not necessarily to hurt them, so I'm cool with it, but I get that it can be a contentious issue, usually because some peoples interpretation is shite.

The next two points are negative merely because this site has been established for a considerable time, 12 years is a long time in this game, & the fact the site is still going should be considered VERY positive, BUT the argument that the organiser is not the landowner is bullshit, if id been putting cash in the landowners pocket for 12 years I'd expect more leeway in making alterations to benefit the facilities, & therefore the clients.

PARKING: like it or not its an essential, & if I have an emergency & need to bug out, I don't want to have to drag every other player back to shift motors, better to maybe use a bit more of the site to counter this.

SAFE ZONE: As I've previously mentioned, I'm not prepared to put thousands of pounds worth of kit in muddy puddles, one its gonna be detrimental to the kit & two its then gonna go in to my motor & my home, not good with my wife lol.

Plus if I'm playing in all weathers, which I do, there's nothing better than getting under cover between games to sort kit etc, maybe get a hot brew going, so if thats lacking then its likely I wont come back, not in winter anyway.

I previously stated I wont be going there, maybe I was hasty in that comment & I will give it a spin, & afterwards update the review with a post, so hopefully see you guys there😁 .

Mark

Im going to gloss over the regulars being called in to defend the honor of the site as they were clearly asked to come over and post and fair enough they may honestly feel upset by the review but in all fairness its hardly a scathing review telling us all to stay away.

The bad points are not generally going to stop people from attending, other than the safe zone and parking issue which if there is space on site, and most sites have spare spaces they can convert or put to parking etc.

The comment about food being free so don't moan is childish, as someone who doesn't eat meat and mostly avoids dairy site food is generally atrocious and reviews like this are super helpful as I will know to bring my own food.

Toilets are generally an issue on woodland sites which is always annoying and shops on site in my opinion only need to sell, water, snacks and bb's grenades etc. I don't really go to a site to expect to buy anything more than some extra bb's or a eye pro if I forgot mine for example.

I think the good points and bad points equal out to a balanced review which is what Asmodai tends to produce. the hands of marshaling comment an actually be taken as a good or a bad, personally if you do not need a marshal or have a day where one is not needed then that is a positive so not sure why the regulars are pointing that out to be a false statement.

Its a little far for me and for the money I can play nearer at a site I know and like so will not be going out of my way to attend, so while not great for the site, this review is super helpful for me!!

No one has told me to defend anything xD I am on these forums daily for years. Everyone is entitled to their opinion just as I am to disagree with the parts of the review i believe are false. Not 100% sure why its frowned upon to disagree on any points. If these are the forums regulars you are hardly improving the impression of it trying to downplay a disagreement 🙂

• Supporters

Matt, you cant say the issues are "false", that would mean any negatives within the OP's review are lies, which I'm sure isn't the case, rather these are the issues he encountered on the day, your response, or the site owner if he chose to reply, should be something like "that's unusual, that doesn't usually happen", or something similar, if the site regulars are gonna dispute the review, then they should do so constructively, not spit dummies out with comments like "I don't care if you don't come back", just sounds like the kiddie crap usually reserved for facebook 😉

How many times have we seen games, sometimes on a massive scale, that have just turned in to a clusterfuck, yet those behind it never put their hands up & say "we got it wrong", thankfully this isn't the case & the review only highlights a few issues, after all nowhere (& no one) is perfect.

13 hours ago, E21A said:

Christ, just the responses here are enough to put me off, let alone the review! 

Seconded! Players go a long way to if I want to go back or even try a site, generally ill have a look at facebook etc and join a site page to see what site players attitudes seem to be (probably not the best way of going about it but you can sometimes judge players by what and how they post online!)

On 02/12/2018 at 09:03, s4m317 said:

Although I disagree with most of the things you’ve said. I have no problem not seeing you here again. 

On 04/12/2018 at 19:14, Wosabi said:

Nothing in the review is negative as has been alluded to by numerous others in replies above me. I know the site I work at has been going a fairly long time in comparison to most out there at the moment and yes improvements need to be made. Sometimes these cant be down because of stipulations by the site owner (one of ours is we cant build/do anything that cant be removed if we have to leave and also cant cut down trees etc unless dead or fallen) you try to make up for these small issues by doing other things for players.

Jumping on the forum to say that the guy writing the review is lying or is making false claims is bollocks, the review is fair and concise to how he felt in his opinion his day went and how the site operates (again as mentioned that's his opinion and he is entitled to it) Don't agree.. try and be a bit more constructive rather than acting childish with replies and offering nothing to the conversation other than "you're wrong, I'm right"

Archived