Please spoon feed me !

Druid799
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I know it’s a fact of modern life that a lot of people appear to be getting thicker and incapable of solving even the simplest of problems or finding stuff for them selves but FFS ! practically every second post on any Facebook group/forum/internet site or what ever you go on these days is a request by who ever to have someone spoon feed them the answer !

Now don’t get me wrong if your genuinely looking for help and advice then fair to say most will help as much as they can , for example your wanting to drop a large amount of beer tokens on an obscure or out of the ordinary gun or you need a part for a build/repair and you just aren’t finding it then I will do my damnedest to help you . Problem is most of the requests these days aren’t , there all “Can anyone tell me if the latest clitoris gun from Wang Dong Airsoft is any good ?” AND near 45% of the players on there home site use them and the net has literally thousands of reviews of them or the other classic “hi can anyone tell me the cheapest place to buy a 1point bungee sling ?”

NO I won’t ! Do some research you lazy muppet ! We did !

17 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

I know it’s a fact of modern life that a lot of people appear to be getting thicker and incapable of solving even the simplest of problems or finding stuff for them selves but FFS ! practically every second post on any Facebook group/forum/internet site or what ever you go on these days is a request by who ever to have someone spoon feed them the answer !

Now don’t get me wrong if your genuinely looking for help and advice then fair to say most will help as much as they can , for example your wanting to drop a large amount of beer tokens on an obscure or out of the ordinary gun or you need a part for a build/repair and you just aren’t finding it then I will do my damnedest to help you . Problem is most of the requests these days aren’t , there all “Can anyone tell me if the latest clitoris gun from Wang Dong Airsoft is any good ?” AND near 45% of the players on there home site use them and the net has literally thousands of reviews of them or the other classic “hi can anyone tell me the cheapest place to buy a 1point bungie sling ?”

I agree to an extent. Problem is most forums and groups keep going with content by those exact sort of posts. 

There's also a certain point where research gets you some of the way, and all you need for the last yard is a "yep, that's a good idea/combo/buy", or a "did you forget X?". Having a last experienced set of eyes can help.

I do agree with the fact that sometimes people don't even search the forums they are on, however some people lack the training in Google-Fu.

All we can do is support, educate, aid... and not throw toys out of prams if something is asked for the nth time. If it's that requested, maybe we can start compiling FAQs on some of these things?

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, skintrade said:

There's also a certain point where research gets you some of the way, and all you need for the last yard is a "yep, that's a good idea/combo/buy", or a "did you forget X?". Having a last experienced set of eyes can help.

I do agree with the fact that sometimes people don't even search the forums they are on, however some people lack the training in Google-Fu.

All we can do is support, educate, aid... and not throw toys out of prams if something is asked for the nth time. If it's that requested, maybe we can start compiling FAQs on some of these things?

I do see what your saying and I do agree not all are this type as I said but a large proportion of requests are ‘spoon feed please’ ones you come across time and time again (hence the two examples I used), as to poor google-fo skills ? As I’m a 51yr old Neanderthal and if I can find X,Y,Z in under a minute then so can they bollox to that one😝 ! so I’m sticking with ‘lazy muppet’ as a general description for a hell of a lot of posters ! 😉

😂😂

I mean, what if a new player asks a question and doesnt know what to google to get his answer? Most of the time, when iv'e googles something or even seen discussion on facebook, there are so many different opinions or facts so it doesnt seem like you will ever get the answer 100% correct. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, E21A said:

Would you respond that way if someone asked you such a question in person though? 

If there asking me In person then no I probably wouldn’t as there asking me face to face then that means we’re talking at a scurmish and I more than likely know them plus if your at game then you will talk about wheres the best place to get XYZ (it is one of the main topics at my regular site) wouldn’t you ? Big difference between talking to other players at a scurmish and posting up on a semi public forum .

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

I mean, what if a new player asks a question and doesnt know what to google to get his answer? Most of the time, when iv'e googles something or even seen discussion on facebook, there are so many different opinions or facts so it doesnt seem like you will ever get the answer 100% correct. 

As to this I’d say you’ve answered your own question , if they’ve found and registered on this forum then they obviously can find there way round the internet , so again should be able to google the simplest of questions .

Your second point  , what are they doing by posting up “what am bestest famas?” There asking for yet another opinion are they not ? and just like a general google search asking this question if it’s on a forum then there still going to get multiple different opinions on the subject , so there know better off any way ! 

Hence my original point do the research (even just attempt it) and not post up on a forum and expect to be spoon feed every answer you want . 

Does apear to me that most seam to be missing my point , I’m not commenting on the new player who hasn’t a clue about anything Airsoft related or doesn’t know what somthing is called . Or the new guy who’s asking what’s the best gun for a new player (even though it’s done to death it’s still quite daunting buying your first gun) no I’m talking about players who know what they want but quit frankly as far as I’m concerned are just too lazy to look for it . 

6 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

If there asking me In person then no I probably wouldn’t as there asking me face to face then that means we’re talking at a scurmish and I more than likely know them plus if your at game then you will talk about wheres the best place to get XYZ (it is one of the main topics at my regular site) wouldn’t you ? Big difference between talking to other players at a scurmish and posting up on a semi public forum .

As to this I’d say you’ve answered your own question , if they’ve found and registered on this forum then they obviously can find there way round the internet , so again should be able to google the simplest of questions .

Your second point  , what are they doing by posting up “what am bestest famas?” There asking for yet another opinion are they not ? and just like a general google search asking this question if it’s on a forum then there still going to get multiple different opinions on the subject , so there know better off any way ! 

Hence my original point do the research (even just attempt it) and not post up on a forum and expect to be spoon feed every answer you want . 

Does apear to me that most seam to be missing my point , I’m not commenting on the new player who hasn’t a clue about anything Airsoft related or doesn’t know what somthing is called . Or the new guy who’s asking what’s the best gun for a new player (even though it’s done to death it’s still quite daunting buying your first gun) no I’m talking about players who know what they want but quit frankly as far as I’m concerned are just too lazy to look for it . 

I see what youre saying but I feel like most people want someone to say, yes this is right or no this is wrong, compared to doing the finding for them. Unless they have tried and tried but cant find it anywhere so they ask for help. i.e - Where can i find a 3d printed model of a foregrip that fits an MLOK or a specific gun.

I understand your point, I just think some of it is laziness some of it is just not knowing

Surely these questions need to be asked so that google search brings up recent articles, just because 5 years ago the RM4 was the dogs danglies, it isn't now. Current opinions are what keeps forums going, if you don't want folk to annoy with questions you have previously done, don't look at their posts, just walk on past them and click on the ones that do interest you.
A forum is not a forum if it has no interaction, it is a database of old thoughts.

I find youtube more useful than google for info.

I think to an extent the questions these people are asking have already been asked a million times here and elsewhere so they are lazy for not even trying to find out. It's not hard to get a jist of what's what if they'd just bother to look.

Snowflakes.... just want everything to be given to them like children and it's as if the people replying are just some App.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, PT247 said:

Surely these questions need to be asked so that google search brings up recent articles, just because 5 years ago the RM4 was the dogs danglies, it isn't now. Current opinions are what keeps forums going, if you don't want folk to annoy with questions you have previously done, don't look at their posts, just walk on past them and click on the ones that do interest you.
A forum is not a forum if it has no interaction, it is a database of old thoughts.

Damn that logic is hard to fault.

As with all things i think there's a line, some folks just want spoon fed others will at least just want some confirmation their research is along the right lines.

Generally if someone is short of that line i just dont reply to them, and that goes for any forum.

4 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Big difference between talking to other players at a scurmish and posting up on a semi public forum .

Not really, your just asking a bigger audience. Besides, on a forum such as this you can just ignore any question you don’t want to answer 

• Supporters
4 hours ago, PT247 said:

Your really missing my point I was simply commenting on the “where can I buy an AK sling ? or the can anyone tell me if the scorpion evo is any good ?” questions NOT players asking for advice or help or any thing else . Plus how am I supposed to ‘walk on past a post that’s titled , “sling help needed or advice needed on TM EBB Sopmod” and you think it’s a fellow player who actually needs help and advice but turns out to be  just a “does it work or where to buy” type question ? I’d like to know that . 

2 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Your really missing my point I was simply commenting on the “where can I buy an AK sling ? or the can anyone tell me if the scorpion evo is any good ?” questions NOT players asking for advice or help or any thing else . Plus how am I supposed to ‘walk on past a post that’s titled , “sling help needed or advice needed on TM EBB Sopmod” and you think it’s a fellow player who actually needs help and advice but turns out to be  just a “does it work or where to buy” type question ? I’d like to know that . 

Subtle, not 

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, E21A said:

Subtle, not 

? You’ve lost me ?

Edit , aahh sorry bud just did a search and found your post , wasn’t a dig at you I just said AK sling as an example (earlier I said bungee sling) we’re looking at really shit bad timing and coincidence! Nothing malicious . 

• Supporters

I agree with @Druid799 on many points though

Not so much forums like this one or Z1 but definitely Facebook pages.

Where can i get this, where can i get that, is this any good, anyone know how to fix this problem which hundred of people have encountered etc.

Like others have said, Google?!?

A lot of online reviews are biased. Some not so subtle either. You can spend weeks researching and comparing your next big 'want', but it often pays to come onto a forum like this and ask for the advice and experience of people that have actually got knowledge of the item.

I've 'dodged a bullet' a few times due to online reviewers gushing over some fantastic RIF, part, or piece of gear, only to have the voice of actual experience on a forum like this say to me, "No mate, steer clear - it's rubbish".

Also, a lot of online research is done by people reading the 'spoonfed' questions left by others!

On 18/11/2018 at 12:51, Spuggy1uk said:

A lot of online reviews are biased. Some not so subtle either. You can spend weeks researching and comparing your next big 'want', but it often pays to come onto a forum like this and ask for the advice and experience of people that have actually got knowledge of the item.

I've 'dodged a bullet' a few times due to online reviewers gushing over some fantastic RIF, part, or piece of gear, only to have the voice of actual experience on a forum like this say to me, "No mate, steer clear - it's rubbish".

Also, a lot of online research is done by people reading the 'spoonfed' questions left by others!

A counterpoint to your view would be you can get people who are biased on this forum or any other forum, not just airsoft, I mean I personally favor and promote (when appropriate ) the Real Sword airsoft brand and some would say I am biased, but ever RS AEG I have bought and used has been excellent in my opinion and has fulfilled the requirements that I set out and wanted. 

Other have not had the same experience a common example I have found is the RS type 56 series of AEG does not lend itself well to a modernization/ tactical set up because of the real steel dimensions so every airsoft made ak rail or user ergonomic addition such as enhanced  fire control level,  will in most cases, require considerable modification to fit, even real steel zenitco rails require noticeable changes. Another point is there is no side mounted scope on the type 56 series so you can not easily install optics, so people have found their requirement met using other airsoft brands/products Cyma, LCT, E&L, TM, G&G, SRC, Dboys and VFC so they hold the view if you want the option to modernize or make  your AK tactical  they would not recommend Real Sword.   

There a topic on this forum "Let's talk about AK47 AK74 AKMs" and the post to said topic you will find different opinions,  some seem to follow or back up what others have said but it all people personal opinions. 

In my opinion, it really comes down to the individual who is seeking the information and how much trust they put in someone else first-hand experience and how much value that experience/opinion holds to the individual reading the information.  On this forum, you have a rough guide on the validity of someone opinion thanks to the member reputation but it that may be utterly worthless if people do not recognize it as a valid measure.

So if someone buys a product due to a recommendation from this forum and it does not fulfill their need or expectation and then complains or ask lots of basic question, that can be solved by either reading the instructions that come with the product or by doing a google search it their own problem.  I am all for asking for help and sharing experiences/ opinions but there are some very basic questions that get asked that the enquirer could figure out on their own but I am guilty of spoon feeding information to basic questions so maybe I myself will have to change.     

• Head Moderator

@Druid799 I understand your angst, sometimes it can be helpful or even therapeutic to have a read and contribute to this topic (if you are not already aware of it):

• Supporters

I've often had a "moan" about members who wish to be spoon fed, especially the repeated "what am bestest" or "where can I get my ukara license" 😈, I usually respond with a sarcastic meme, as if I start typing it might get "fruity" lol, but its also good to see members who do their research & then start a thread in order to double check their research, I thought this guy was a great example:

well done Luke👍

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Jedi_Master said:

@Druid799 I understand your angst, sometimes it can be helpful or even therapeutic to have a read and contribute to this topic (if you are not already aware of it):

Hadn’t come across that one I did do a quick search , nothing appropriate then had a look through the ‘back catalogue’ of threads and hadn’t reached it either . 👍

On 17/11/2018 at 14:31, Druid799 said:

Now don’t get me wrong if your genuinely looking for help and advice then fair to say most will help as much as they can , for example your wanting to drop a large amount of beer tokens on an obscure or out of the ordinary gun or you need a part for a build/repair and you just aren’t finding it then I will do my damnedest to help you . Problem is most of the requests these days aren’t , there all “Can anyone tell me if the latest clitoris gun from Wang Dong Airsoft is any good ?” AND near 45% of the players on there home site use them and the net has literally thousands of reviews of them or the other classic “hi can anyone tell me the cheapest place to buy a 1point bungee sling ?”

I sort of agree..... there is something in particular that drives me nuts in such posts and it's not the questions that are being asked. It's the way they're being asked. Especially when they use do this:

What is am bestest gnu for unner £3.00? GO!

That last word pisses me off like you wouldn't believe. 
It's as if they think the reader exists solely to provide information for them - as if you're some organic version of Siri (Other personal digital assistants are available)...

• Supporters
1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

I sort of agree..... there is something in particular that drives me nuts in such posts and it's not the questions that are being asked. It's the way they're being asked. Especially when they use do this:

What is am bestest gnu for unner £3.00? GO!

That last word pisses me off like you wouldn't believe. 
It's as if they think the reader exists solely to provide information for them - as if you're some organic version of Siri (Other personal digital assistants are available)...

Nail squarely struck , I don’t have any problem with people asking questions at all (which I thought I’d made clear) , but just like you it’s the inanely simple to find/asked a hundred times already questions that would probably take less than 30 seconds to find on google or a forum search that are so annoying .

Archived