AK sling - where to buy?

E21A
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If your looking for the old Soviet-style just google "soviet ak sling" you will get a plethora of sites that sell surplus and new/fake sling and they are cheap if you are looking for more tactical slings for AKs try Grey shop bit more expensive but they worth the money.  

If you go for the Soviet-style just be aware that the metal attachment point will scratch and scuff the metal and wood they also rattle, so you can use some electrical tape and cover the metal attachment on the sling. to soften the noise and provide some protect the metal and wood. 

There are also the slings for the Chinese Type 56 AK, not the one for the Type 56 carbine/sks  but both will fit,  they use leather so they are a lot quieter but you will have to modify the front leather portion of the strap as it will not fit through the front sling attachment point on a Soviet/Russian Style AK. 

Yea I was more looking for recommendations of places that are reputable and sell decent quality. Thanks for your help though. I’m not too bothered about scratching etc, it’s an AK after all, it’s supposed to look tatty. 😂

They are very expensive for what they  actually are £12-95 for a bog standard canvas sling for a weapon that is produced in the hundreds of thousands if not millions  you can get one here https://www.epicmilitaria.com/original-ak-47-sling.html for £7 posted   

rusmilitary is good for some parts like the band new wood kits, but the price of some of those slings is criminal.

On 17/11/2018 at 22:34, E21A said:

Yea I was more looking for recommendations of places that are reputable and sell decent quality.

I see but, I find it interesting that you cannot find a website that you trust to buy an AK sling,  I mean there are loads of AK slings on eBay, UK military surplus websites ( like the one I link before) heck even Patrol Base sell a Chinese style SKS sling made by  8 fields tactical. With regards to quality well surplus, you can get anything from good condition to awful but you generally won't know from the internet, until you buy as most surplus shops will not take individual photos of the slings that they buy in bulk. Obviously, if you buy a new production or a more modern tactical sling then you generally get what you pay for.

All the sling I have bought for my AKs have come from eBay a bulk buys from China 31 military surplus type 56  sling for £25 that included postage and one from epicmilitaria all good quality.         

Odd.  Going to look naive here but dont ak's have a rear sling mount?  Do they just wrap around the stock?

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, kasaran said:

Odd.  Going to look naive here but dont ak's have a rear sling mount?  Do they just wrap around the stock?

I think it varies from model to model. Most that I've seen don't have a sling mount as standard and therefore to attach one you need to fasten it around the stock. 

On 22/11/2018 at 20:35, kasaran said:

All airsoft AKs that are in the traditional style i.e wood &steel come with a front sling mount and rear sling mount.   

There are some differences. The most common are with current Russian/some former Soviet satellite state, style aks  mainly on the  AKM, AK74 series, mount the front sling point on the left side lower handguard retain piece and the rear sling if it a full solid stock the attachment point, located under and to the rear of the stock,  AKM  and AK74.

Related image

If it has a side folder skeletonized tringle or full solid side folder stock the rear mounting point changes to the right-hand side and moved further forward the front sling attachment stays the same as the above. 

Image result for ak74mn sling

The under folders style stock, original Type 3 AK47 and Chinese type 56-1 mount the front sling point on the barrel just before the angled part of the gas tube and then the rear sling point is attached to the left-hand side of the receiver and to the rear. Obviously, this is not an exhaustive list or examples 

Image result for ak47 sling mount 

So all variable then. Only ask as i have been looking at and specing an svu.  It only has a front sling mount.

12 minutes ago, kasaran said:

an svu.  It only has a front sling mount.

The SVU is a Dragunov variant, not an AK the real steel SVU has a rear sling point. 

Related image

the  APS version which I am assuming is the one you are talking, about does not seem to have one but you could try this style/type of sling  https://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=018  it does need a sling mounting point you can attach it to the receiver. 

Oh.   Seems weird not to put a mounting on the rear of tge gun then.

17 hours ago, kasaran said:

Oh.   Seems weird not to put a mounting on the rear of tge gun then.

It's highly likely that the designer may have just had pictures to help the R&D  and just miss it even the  Bear Paw version of the svu is missing the rear sling point. 

Archived