Bucking recommendation

jeffery7466
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello.

So my M4 (~340fps) currently has the Prometheus EG barrel with the Prowin chamber. I am looking for a bucking and nub that will fit the window in the barrel and the chamber properly. I currently have the Maple Leaf bucking, but the BB contact doesn't quite fit into the window (see photo). I've damaged it a bit already trying to poke it in. 

Can anyone recommend anything?

EDIT: anyone tried SLONG Dual protusion bucking, or know where they sell them in the UK?

P.S. I've gathered a lot of crap over the years, and turns out I already have a few buckings, and I hope you guys can help me decide what to use and what to throw away.

Madbull Shark bucking set (the one with a rubber and a silicon one)

Challenger cure hold 60 degrees

GX High Tech RH55

X-shock 60 degrees

20181116_200506.jpg

I personally have not had any success with Maple products, sweeping statement I know.

As above Prommy purple or G&G green, with a concave nub, for any further improvement go Rhop.

Its worth saying not all buckings fit all hop units well at all.

You shouldn't have to physically position a bucking with tools etc.

Use a small amount of lube on the outside of the bucking to slip it in - ooo er.

It should sit naturally, not be stretched or skewed etc.

Sometimes it take a good few attempts to get things seated in right.

14 hours ago, Davegolf said:

I personally have not had any success with Maple products, sweeping statement I know.

As above Prommy purple or G&G green, with a concave nub, for any further improvement go Rhop.

Its worth saying not all buckings fit all hop units well at all.

You shouldn't have to physically position a bucking with tools etc.

Use a small amount of lube on the outside of the bucking to slip it in - ooo er.

It should sit naturally, not be stretched or skewed etc.

Sometimes it take a good few attempts to get things seated in right.

Ok I'll try Prommy purple.

I think you misunderstood my problem. It's the bb contact protrusion that doesn't fit into the barrel window, as show in the photo.

You can always enlarge the window with a file. I've never picked up an EG barrel, favouring the ZCI in budget builds, and ML bucking drop into those without an issue. 

Prommy purples are great buckings for the UK. Absolutely perfect in the colder winter months.

I make custom arms for my hop units and keep them handy. That way I can take a stock bucking and run it like normal. Once it wears out I'll pull and shave it, then run the unit with a flat hop arm. Provided the lips remain good it's generally not a problem.

I use g&g green and prommy purple for my normal builds and blue for flat hops on my widebores on my HPA rifles.

23 hours ago, Iceni said:

You can always enlarge the window with a file. I've never picked up an EG barrel, favouring the ZCI in budget builds, and ML bucking drop into those without an issue. 

Prommy purples are great buckings for the UK. Absolutely perfect in the colder winter months.

I make custom arms for my hop units and keep them handy. That way I can take a stock bucking and run it like normal. Once it wears out I'll pull and shave it, then run the unit with a flat hop arm. Provided the lips remain good it's generally not a problem.

This made me think why i don't do flat hop.

Any reason why i shouldn't? If not, got any recommendations for parts? I hear the Firefly Namazu flat hop nub is good. Can i just shave off the 'nub' inside any bucking, like you do?

I make my own arms and nubs. It doesn't take a lot of expense it's just time.

Start with an easy material like Sheet styrene, and once you have a template you can move onto something harder if you need to.

For the styrene I generally pick something that is slightly oversized for the window width. Take the original arm, trace the outline, but leave extra at the nub. Drill the hole then just file the shape to fit the hole... It'll take you a few attempts to get something that works. The advantage is you can try every shape of nub you want. If you want a soft nub then use a rubber glued to the new arm. It's pretty easy once  you sit down and start to work it all out.

Once you want to move onto harder materials then a dremel and some aluminum rod will be needed. And the tools of choice are the diamond burr tools. Again you just sit and grind the shape.

As for the bucking the brand doesn't matter if you flat hop.. Your not using the contact patch at all. Provided it's the correct shore hardness it should perform.

If you want to flat hop without the hassle buy either hop arms, or a spare hop unit. Remove the nub holder and glue a cut section of pencil eraser directly to the arm. It's quicker than making the full arm, but still a ball ache.

The blue part of a Maped duo is a good starter materiel for making flat hop nubs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008O40BL2/ref=asc_df_B008O40BL256940047/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22122&creativeASIN=B008O40BL2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=226557293237&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9411688435789750302&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046172&hvtargid=pla-420723729053

Best thing for you to do would be to watch a few video's and make an evaluation of yourself. If it looks like something you could do then going with the spare hop unit is a good start so you don't kill the gun.

IMO it's also prudent to have a full spare barrel and hop ready to play with. So if you don't own a spare inner barrel and hop unit upgrade one of your guns. Something like the ZCI rotary hop unit and a ZCI inner barrel would cost you about £30. It'll go straight into any M4 you have. And what you take out of the gun is your toy for learning to flat hop on.

This is tremendous! Thanks a lot!

Would you mind show a picture of one of your DIY arms? That way I have a reference.

5 hours ago, Iceni said:

IMO it's also prudent to have a full spare barrel and hop ready to play with. So if you don't own a spare inner barrel and hop unit upgrade one of your guns. Something like the ZCI rotary hop unit and a ZCI inner barrel would cost you about £30. It'll go straight into any M4 you have. And what you take out of the gun is your toy for learning to flat hop on.

As a matter of fact, I already run two barrels. You may call me stupid, but I run the original Ares 300mm, and the Prommy 363mm barrels which I hide inside a detachable silencer. I thought that the extra length will give me a bit of advantage... well I do get 345fps on 0.2g with it, using a SP90 spring, compared to ~330fps with the 300mm. 

P.S. I am using a 3/4 ported cylinder and 0.25g bbs, and both using the Prowin unit.

• Supporters

There is zero need for flat or R hop or even a maple leaf bucking for 0.25.

These won't make your gun more accurate. These allow the gun to hop heavier BBs than it can hop now. Heavy BBs make your gun more accurate.

20 hours ago, Iceni said:

I make my own arms and nubs. It doesn't take a lot of expense it's just time.

Start with an easy material like Sheet styrene, and once you have a template you can move onto something harder if you need to.

For the styrene I generally pick something that is slightly oversized for the window width. Take the original arm, trace the outline, but leave extra at the nub. Drill the hole then just file the shape to fit the hole... It'll take you a few attempts to get something that works. The advantage is you can try every shape of nub you want. If you want a soft nub then use a rubber glued to the new arm. It's pretty easy once  you sit down and start to work it all out.

Once you want to move onto harder materials then a dremel and some aluminum rod will be needed. And the tools of choice are the diamond burr tools. Again you just sit and grind the shape.

As for the bucking the brand doesn't matter if you flat hop.. Your not using the contact patch at all. Provided it's the correct shore hardness it should perform.

If you want to flat hop without the hassle but either hop arms, or a spare hop unit. Remove the nub holder and glue a cut section of pencil eraser directly to the arm. It's quicker than making the full arm, but still a ball ache.

The blue part of a Maped duo is a good starter materiel for making flat hop nubs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008O40BL2/ref=asc_df_B008O40BL256940047/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22122&creativeASIN=B008O40BL2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=226557293237&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9411688435789750302&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046172&hvtargid=pla-420723729053

Best thing for you to do would be to watch a few video's and make an evaluation of yourself. If it looks like something you could do then going with the spare hop unit is a good start so you don't kill the gun.

Will try some of this on the weekend, already flat hopped, but bought off the shelf nub, been meaning to make my own.

15 hours ago, jeffery7466 said:

Would you mind show a picture of one of your DIY arms? That way I have a reference

My arms would look strange to you.

My M4 uses a ZCI rotary without modification. I don't use it often enough to warrant a flat hop on it.
The G3 still has the stock bucking in it, and hasn't been opened.

My AUGS use a very different hop arm to an M4. I have loads of flat hop arms for them for various hop units. I can post a picture of those but they would mean nothing to you. I'll dig out a unit and take a picture but like I say it's not going to help you at all.

Archived