Trying not to destroy my gun

Solly4568
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have a question that has probably been answered but I am stupid and can't find it 😂

So I want to put a slightly upgraded spring in my CM16 that should bring the FPS up to 355 from 330 by putting in an M110 spring into it. Will this just destroy it or will it be improved. (also if anyone could point me in the direction of a good guide I would be forever thankful) 

Many thanks 

Solly 

13 minutes ago, Solly4568 said:

I have a question that has probably been answered but I am stupid and can't find it 😂

So I want to put a slightly upgraded spring in my CM16 that should bring the FPS up to 355 from 330 by putting in an M110 spring into it. Will this just destroy it or will it be improved. (also if anyone could point me in the direction of a good guide I would be forever thankful) 

Many thanks 

Solly 

Check your air seals and get a new tightbore barrel to bring up the FPS passively, rather then put more strain on the internals and less ROF by installing a heavier spring.

You will not see any range difference or BB velocity difference. 

• Supporters

Like Asomodai said check your seals first.

Assuming you know how to disassemble your gun and the gearbox

Open your gun and gearbox.

Take everything out of the gearbox

remove the o-ring around the piston head and carefully stretch it over the cylinder

Use a lighter, carefully and even apply some heat to the o-ring whilst its over the cylinder, this will stretch it out a bit

Reapply the o-ring on the piston head

Regrease the o-ring around the piston head and the cyclinder with petroleum free silicone based grease, personally i find the Abbey Gun grease great, its thick almost jelly like and has given me some of the best seals ever:

https://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=273&products_id=2390

Wrap the Cylinder head with some PTFE tape to ensure a good airseal

Apply some of the above mentioned grease around the air pipe on the cylinder head and insert the air nozzle back on and move it around to spread the grease out

Test your air seal! By placing your thumb over the air nozzle, grip the entire cylinder with cyclinder head attached and try and push the piston it, it should go in a bit before heavily resisting you. You should not be able to compress it fully, if you hear hissing then you have an air seal leak.

Once your happy that the air is sealed from piston to cylinder to air nozzle, reassemble the gun.

HINT whilst you have the gearbox open, clean it de-grease it and re apply some LT2 base grease to the gears and anything metal on metal contact, also SHIM the gearbox from the pinion (plenty of vids on youtube on how to do that)

Reassemble the gun and you'll probably find that without having to upgrade your spring you have now gained some FPS (maybe between 5-10 FPS) due to better airseal and a snappier and higher ROF due to better grease and shimming. Also you'll probably notice better FPS consistency (i had 1 AEG once down to 341FPS +/- 1 FPS)

Add in a tight bore barrel and the FPS will go up a little bit more, say another 5 FPS.

UK Limit here on most sites is 350FPS try and aim more for around 340 to 345 FPS to give your gun breathing room for variances.

If you do use an M110 you'll probably find yourself at or over at 360 to 380 FPS.

Lastly (and something to bare in mind with all guns) Accuracy -> Consistency -> FPS. Remember TM pistols for example only shoot around 280FPS using .20g BBs but can match or out range AEGs, its all about the hop.

• Supporters

i'd check the compression before messing with the seals, they could be pretty good as-is.

i'm assuming what your after is range given you're talking fps so i'd do the following in order:

1. run heavier ammo, as heavy as you can afford, personally i run .3's in almost all my guns and i'd run .4's if they weren't so expensive, if the hop can lift it then heavier ammo will fly further, straighter and at range hit harder (and hitting the target hard enough to feel is as important as hitting in the first place)

2. upgrade the hop, kinda links in with item 1, if you can't lift heavier ammo with your stock hop then an upgraded hop will give you the spin you need to do that, something like a flathop or rhop give good results but a maple leaf style also works if you don't fancy tinkering too much, make sure your hop is nice and square in the barrel so you're not pulling off to the left or right, it'll also give you a bit better accuracy which helps in getting hits, but a good hop throwing .2's only for the wind to catch them isn't going to help much.

3. go with the suggestions for checking seals/gearbox shimming, make sure the fps is nice and consistent and a working gun>a broken but good shooter (something i'm sadly too familiar with :P )

4.upgrade spring, go for as close to the site limit as you can without going over, whilst more power on it's own won't give you more range if you combine it with a decent hop and heavier ammo then it absolutely will help, bb range has 3 factors and energy is one of them, but no point going for the power without the ability to hit at longer ranges anyway.

• Supporters
17 hours ago, Shizbazki said:

TM pistols for example only shoot around 280FPS using .20g BBs but can match or out range AEGs

Yes, they can, in the same way that I could beat a professional boxer, if I waited until he was 85 and clocked him from behind.

While I agree with everything else that you said, Tokyo Marui's don't get a pass on the laws of physics.

Thanks for all of the ideas 

I have already put in a tight bore barrel and a new hop up bucking but the ideas about the seals is great. 

also, I agree with @Rogerborg on the fact that Tokyo Marui's are unnatural and should not work 😂 ( doesn't stop me from trying to get some😂)

Thanks 

Solly 

• Supporters

Don't bother with it, there's absolutely no difference between 330 and 355. If it doesn't shoot properly, then it's something else.

M110 can get the fps around 400 in a good gun.

As for the fps/range physics. A good, 300fps MK23 shoots 60m accurately and can make aimed shots at 80+. This can not be said for an average AEG with 350-400 fps. There are many many things affecting usable range more than the fps.

• Supporters

Don't touch the spring, 330 is more than adequate, plus I believe some sites still run with what used to be the norm fps limits, 328, be shit if you change the spring & then at some point in the future turn up at a site you've not played, only to get turned away at the chrono........unless of course you've got a quick change spring system, then id say "fill yer boots"😜

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

While I agree with everything else that you said, Tokyo Marui's don't get a pass on the laws of physics.

of course the don't, but the hop unit imparts the magic dust onto the bb which using the phenominon of the "drag crisis" significantly reduces the drag coeffecient, which is why they shoot so far.

it's not too disimilar to why golf balls are dimpled.

while these are real effects this is still a joke, i'm not seriously suggesting this is what is happening

4 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

of course the don't, but the hop unit imparts the magic dust onto the bb which using the phenominon of the "drag crisis" significantly reduces the drag coeffecient, which is why they shoot so far.

nope, you are wrong each Tokyo Marui hop up chamber comes with a miniature Jedi that helps you bb fly for miles. The magic dust method was used in the older versions 😂 

but in all seriousness thanks guys for the replies it helps me a lot, not having my gun blow up in the middle of a game al Qaeda style  😊

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Solly4568 said:

nope, you are wrong each Tokyo Marui hop up chamber comes with a miniature Jedi that helps you bb fly for miles. The magic dust method was used in the older versions 😂 

nope the jedi was only for the 416 recoil models, the standard aeg's and all the pistols still use magic dust.

Archived