Watches

RMDavis

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Slight tangent but does anyone know much about  vintage/antique watches? I've recently inherited a couple of JW Benson pieces, one pocket watch and a wristwatch and was wondering if there's a way of dating them? Neither are for sale for sentimental reasons but it would be nice to know what they are and how best to look after them. The pocket watch is quite tarnished but is silver from what I can work out, the wristwatch used to be my Dad's daily wear watch so it's well used.

1 minute ago, Lozart said:

Slight tangent but does anyone know much about  vintage/antique watches? I've recently inherited a couple of JW Benson pieces, one pocket watch and a wristwatch and was wondering if there's a way of dating them? Neither are for sale for sentimental reasons but it would be nice to know what they are and how best to look after them. The pocket watch is quite tarnished but is silver from what I can work out, the wristwatch used to be my Dad's daily wear watch so it's well used.

You can try here, lots of old watch experts

http://homage-forum.com

12 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Ahhhh cool thread I hadn't spotted before either!

Loving those Seiko chronos, I've had a soft spot for all things Seiko for many years, I quite often wear my dad's SQ 4004 Quartz that he bought aboard the SS Canberra back in the late 70's.
I've got a SARB035 which is a lovely thing, but desperately needs to get regulated.  It was about 30 seconds off a day, I decided to 'improve' it, and naturally enough it now runs at 5 minutes off a day 🤣  
I'm sure I could actually sort it with some more trial-and-error, but in the absence of a time-grapher, I'll just get the jewellers to sort it for me, some day.

I'm not wearing many of my collection these days.  I sprung for a Tudor Black Bay Pro recently 
image.png.0ace72907022ee89fed6dc2a757878c4.png

which is a cracking watch.   But no sooner had I bought that than I got "The Call" from the Rolex dealer (after a year and a half on the waiting list!), and a few weeks ago I picked up my grail watch... Oyster Perpetual with blue dial.

image.png.f189c76cf171c45695db403004dd5dd0.png

Wearing it every day, it's not an investment piece.   I absolutely adore it, it's just so beautifully finished, and perfectly proportioned. 

If you're happy to open the caseback and regulate it yourself get yourself the TOSCA app and sit in a very quiet room and give it a go 👍

II picked this up online in the summer for the princely sum of £16. It isn't loosing or gaining time and at that price I'm not too bothered if it gets shot out in a game 

DSC_0801.thumb.JPG.9495820758256056a8c97e243fe806ce.JPG

I nearly went with airsofting as a good excuse to buy a proper field watch, maybe even a Hamilton Khaki, but then thought how upset I'd be if it got shot, so went the AliExpress bargain-bin route instead, and got one of these:

1390426471_Airsoftwatch.jpg.70be0fa84b23ebd4ab35348ccc1ea4d0.jpg

... which cost £8.97!

12 hours ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

If you're happy to open the caseback and regulate it yourself get yourself the TOSCA app and sit in a very quiet room and give it a go 👍

I've had a quick look, presumably I need to pay for the Pro version to get actually timing rather than the 'good/bad' readouts?  I can see it works though, probably well enough to make the watch wearable again :)

8 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I've had a quick look, presumably I need to pay for the Pro version to get actually timing rather than the 'good/bad' readouts?  I can see it works though, probably well enough to make the watch wearable again :)

To be fair I've not noticed the difference between the normal and pro version! 

I haven't tried the iphone-only app mentioned before, yet, maybe that'll be the better option ($10 pcm I think).  
The poor old SARB definitely needs some love, I may not have wound it up fully but its still ticking today... it just happens to be 12 minutes slow already!

4 hours ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

Just be very careful when you regulate, it only takes a knats cock of a movement to adjust the time, no big swings

I just checked the SARB again, it's now 20 minutes slow.  I think it's fair to say there were no gnat's cocks in the amount of swing I put on the regulator 🤣

On 28/09/2022 at 22:21, Jez_Armstrong said:

Thank you for this, used this on my tudor black bay and came back with great readings. I was getting worried about whether it needed a service, 5 years old etc and to see it's still ticking by so well is a huge relief. Can delay that service now! 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.