Replacement paddle wheel for Odin M12 Side Winder Speed Loader

Lollingsgrad
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I noticed my speedloader wasn't doing a very good job of shoving BBs into my midcap recently, decided to open it up to see why and... yeah...

20181113_233212.jpg

Where can I get a replacement? Importing is so expensive I might as well buy another. Wondering if I should just get one of the cheap clones and take the wheel out of it.

• Supporters

wow, that's not good man, you could try a clone but it may not be exactly the right size.

otherwise i guess getting another is the best option, did you have the friction clutch set right?

I want to say yes because I did set it to slip at high tension but clearly the answer is no because this happened! I think it looks more surprising than it is because if one paddle breaks then there's more tension on the next one, so it's more likely to break etc...

What is surprising is that it continued to function acceptably like this till the last one broke last night. Hate to think how it must've been scratching up the BBs in this state. Starting to think these things are more trouble than they're worth...

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Lollingsgrad said:

I want to say yes because I did set it to slip at high tension but clearly the answer is no because this happened! I think it looks more surprising than it is because if one paddle breaks then there's more tension on the next one, so it's more likely to break etc...

What is surprising is that it continued to function acceptably like this till the last one broke last night. Hate to think how it must've been scratching up the BBs in this state. Starting to think these things are more trouble than they're worth...

certainly i can see how the damage would stack once started, how long have you had it out of interest? i've had mine pretty much since they were released stateside and it's been just dandy for me, mine's set nicely for tension (i hope!) but i do have a habit of going hell for leather when filling mags.

Since January, so not that long, willing to accept it's almost certainly user error on the clutch setting but I do hope I can just get a wheel replacement rather than a whole new loader. They sell rebuild kits for not too much but the only place I can see selling them is Fire Support and they're out.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Lollingsgrad said:

Since January, so not that long, willing to accept it's almost certainly user error on the clutch setting but I do hope I can just get a wheel replacement rather than a whole new loader. They sell rebuild kits for not too much but the only place I can see selling them is Fire Support and they're out.

possibly, kinda hard really to evaluate how tight is too tight for that clutch, iirc i set mine as loose as i could while still filling my midcaps but i'm sure it's probably tightened itself since then.

if you do find a spare please let me know, will be handy to know in case mine goes (although touch wood it'll be ok)

• Supporters

Consider a 3d printed one, im sure there are people out there that would make one for you.

It would be a good stop gap while you contact firesupport for the official parts needed.

Personally I have one as well and just keep loading until i see or feel the BBs stop, release the mag and insert the next one. Or if i am returning the handle to rest ill just sacrifice a few wasted BBs rather than relay on the ODINs clutch.

1 minute ago, Shizbazki said:

Personally I have one as well and just keep loading until i see or feel the BBs stop, release the mag and insert the next one. Or if i am returning the handle to rest ill just sacrifice a few wasted BBs rather than relay on the ODINs clutch.

Same, although when returning the handle I turn it upside down and rotate the handle counterclockwise. Seems to empty the loading wheel back into the reservoir. Hopefully this isn't the thing that's been breaking paddles but I never encountered a lot of resistance doing it.

1 minute ago, Lollingsgrad said:

Nah if that turns out to be my only option I'll probably just give up and settle for thumb loaders (and avoid Odin Innovations products in future for that matter).

And that too!

• Supporters
On 14/11/2018 at 17:17, Lollingsgrad said:

Same, although when returning the handle I turn it upside down and rotate the handle counterclockwise. Seems to empty the loading wheel back into the reservoir. Hopefully this isn't the thing that's been breaking paddles but I never encountered a lot of resistance doing it.

you'rs allows that? i've always had to go clockwise as it full on jams if you try and turn it backwards.

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

you'rs allows that? i've always had to go clockwise as it full on jams if you try and turn it backwards.

Reverse crank should be possible especially if you invert the loader, takes strain off the clutch and allows BBs to drop backwards

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, skintrade said:

Reverse crank should be possible especially if you invert the loader, takes strain off the clutch and allows BBs to drop backwards

doesnt work for me, normally i just drop the ammo, or if i'm feeling conservative i'll catch the ammo that drops out and pop it back in the top.

• 4 weeks later...

Follow up, almost everything on a clone is identical except for the lack of suede clutch, small self tapping screws into plastic instead of flat screws with embedded metal nuts, and slightly fewer screws attaching the feed wheel cover.

I cannot say that clone paddle plastic is weaker than the Odin one from feel or look so I've used it as a replacement. The only catch was that I struggled to remove the bolt from the clone paddle; it looked like it would come out but I decided not to bother since the bolt was almost identical anyway (just slightly shorter).

tl;dr you can use a paddle from a clone Odin rather than struggle for official replacement parts

20181207_190640.jpg

Archived