SWAS Airsoft Sites

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
On 16/11/2018 at 11:26, CES_williamson said:

HPA is fine but if the ROF is too much one of the marshals will ask you to turn it down a bit

Good to hear

I normally prefer semi auto only games and even my full auto although fires a ROF of 35RPS, the FCU is programmed so that full auto only ever fires 5 rounds to prevent over spamming.

Hmm will see what my mates are saying and try to get there for the 25th! 

Site looks interesting.

ok, scratch that, its this wknd, might have to be the 2nd :D 

15 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Hmm will see what my mates are saying and try to get there for the 25th! 

Site looks interesting.

ok, scratch that, its this wknd, might have to be the 2nd :D 

Mortar fire support & 60 barricades going up tomorrow, this weekend will be a good one :) 

20 hours ago, CES_williamson said:

Mortar fire support & 60 barricades going up tomorrow, this weekend will be a good one :) 

have things on this weekend, didnt realise when I posted the month was almost over, where has the time gone??

Hopefully there on the 2nd with a group

@CES_williamson Been out of the loop for a couple of weeks and just saw the news about your new site - this is awesome to hear! I live just down the road as do a number of the players in our group.

Certainly adding it to our list of sites for visiting, but probably one for in the new year - so good luck over the Christmas period getting up and running and we'll see you soon!

20 minutes ago, AndyDynamic said:

@CES_williamson Been out of the loop for a couple of weeks and just saw the news about your new site - this is awesome to hear! I live just down the road as do a number of the players in our group.

Certainly adding it to our list of sites for visiting, but probably one for in the new year - so good luck over the Christmas period getting up and running and we'll see you soon!

Thank you very much :)

Yes we have certainly run into this issue, people dont want to airsoft in the cold 😂 luckily, we have a dry, warm safe zone with free tea & coffee all day, food van, snacks etc so we like to take care of everyone + its only £15 until the new year if you let us know you are coming!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Disclaimer : I am in no way associated with SWAS Airsoft or their business

A great site with massive potential

Yesterday was our first trip to the new site at RAF Wyton hosted by the team at SWAS Airsoft. We went along with an open mind as the site is very new and only began operating just before Christmas.

First off, booking via the website is quick and easy and actually quite refreshing to use. A quick paypal payment, meaning there's no fumbling for cash when signing in or dealing with change. You can still turn up on the day and pay that way if you want but you must let the site know beforehand (email, Facebook, phone) because this is an active MoD base and you can't just rock up with a car full of guns.

Access is excellent, just past Huntingdon on the A141, the gate is clearly signposted and you're met by security. Again, active MoD base means a form of ID for everyone attending is mandatory. A 2 minute drive around the top end of the airfield brings us to the parking area, which is ample and very close to the safe zone.

The safe zone is fantastic - a permanent warehouse/storage structure with long benches and tables with ample room for gear. Protected from the elements and dry was a huge bonus as the morning games were made all the more difficult by persistent rain and blustery winds, so having somewhere we could rearm without worry of mud or water getting into the kit was excellent.

The site itself, approx. 45 acres so quite large, is a combination of hard standing concrete (combination of roads and old missile platforms, sadly no missiles remain!) and scrub-land which is a combination of thickets of bushes and small trees. There are also the beginnings of structures that the team have begun to place on site (more on these later), so we have the standard wooden palettes as minor defences, through to more robust sand bag walls acting as machine gun nests. So while initially the site seems quite open, on the ground there is a good combination of open areas and mazes of scrub to fight through. The team advised me that in the warmer months, all the trees and scrub are more fuller and in leaf so the extra cover afforded by these will make it even more exciting, although we all agreed that some of it could do with being cut back to improve the paths through them.

Also a plus point is that the site isn't completely flat, surprising for an air base. The slight elevation changes reward a team that can take and hold these, but there's plenty of ways to flank the enemy thanks to the width of the site.

We started with a very simple domination warm up game around some of the simple wooden structures, with the usual turbulent results (including both teams raising the wrong flag at one point!) but it was a great laugh to get started. The rest of the days games involved much more of the site and crucially a lot more tactical, including games taking the form of Conquest style matches where the attacking team had to take parts of the map in sequence, through to transport games involving either transporting an ammo crate, or a wired device to a central location. The variety here was great, with each team getting a chance to swap roles. As mentioned, flanking on this site is excellent, the site and gaming areas are wide enough to encourage this, but not too sizeable as to require a massively long walk back to spawn. The site could take a huge number of players, at least 100+ with no trouble.

Back on the subject of structures, yes at the moment the barricades are quite basic, but that's to be expected. The team are full of ideas though and already have plans for an ambitious structure on part of the map which once in place would serve as a brilliant addition and tactical control point, plus they're including more sandbag walls all the time (which I prefer to palettes).

The team themselves are a great bunch, knowledgeable and great to chat to, and also keen to be strict with rules on hit taking and the like which is to be expected. May I also add that having the hot drinks available for free is a great welcome to the site, especially on a cold day like we had. It's little things like that, that make the site worth going to, something a lot of sites don't go with.

Gripes if I have any, which I promised to let the team know about if we have suggestions:

• I'd prefer bigger barricades in some places, sandbag walls being preferable - placed in the right way it can benefit attackers, which sometimes you want so games don't become a stalemate.
  • The site has a lot of brambles which are worse than barbed wire - not something the site can do a huge amount about, and is more about watching your footing. The guys have plans to clear as much as they can but you know with brambles it's usually a losing battle
  • The parking area could do with a plastic grid of some sort on the entry and exit of the grass, it got churned up pretty quickly, should be fine in summer but worth mentioning.
  • I would turn the shooting range/chrono range 90 degrees from the blast wall or perhaps have a clearer sign about which way to go for chrono so you don't get people wandering into the firing line.
  • The netting to the sides of the safe zone was a bit tricky to get around (especially exiting right) so that perhaps could do with a rethink, I know it's to make sure people are protected from the gaming area and reminded about eye-pro.
  • This could be more a business decision, but perhaps every other Sunday could work better for player numbers? Every weekend could dilute numbers slightly, just worth bearing in mind. 

So there we go, honestly for a new site I think they've started out very well indeed and can only see it getting better with experience. It'll also change a lot during the year with the seasons keeping it fresh and interesting along with the updates the team have planned.

• Pros
    • Great fully indoor safe zone
    • Site is big at approx. 45 acres with a good mixture of landscape
    • Massive potential for structures
    • Easy to access and find your way around
  • Cons
    • In its infancy, structures are basic
    • Player numbers are limited right now but should deserve to improve

IMG_20190210_085601.thumb.jpg.6e0e88dee823d9a59891618c5ed7b3d3.jpg

IMG_20190210_085612.thumb.jpg.5853b7eccefa0fe7e945d8e3c0639aad.jpg

IMG_20190210_085621.thumb.jpg.eb5a09462222950fc1c30126a21523b8.jpg

1 hour ago, AndyDynamic said:

Thank you so much for the feedback, as stressed on the day this is exactly what I needed! We are always improving the site on weekdays so I will certainly take all of what you said into account :) 

Glad you guys enjoyed your day, lots of great sportsmanship and awesome gameplay all day, photos and videos will go up this evening on the facebook page

54 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Hi vis toilet facilities? ;)

Thanks for the review, it seems like a site with lots of promise.

Ha yeah, we thought it was also for skirmishers with a hangover! 😄

• 2 months later...

From the beginning of May on every other week we will be running a Saturday game instead of a Sunday game, The first of which will be on the 11th May the next week May 5th and 19th will be our Sunday game etc going on throughout the month (Full dates avaliable on the website or facebook)

• 1 month later...

Quick review

Our group has been going to this site for a few months now. I'm pleased to say we have always had a blast!

Main points:

Good facilities including : Toilets, BBQ, Shop, firing range, fully covered warehouse for shelter, heating

Playing area is huge, 45 acres! Lots of new features being installed weekly. Barricades, forts, bunkers etc. Shrubbery areas, open plains, ditches, ponds, hard standings and roads.

Varied game types

Good marshalling and safety. Marshals are friendly and offer advice to new players

Alternating Saturdays and Sundays which gives everyone a chance to play (especially us busy dads!)

Easy to get to

Great  atmosphere

Summary:

Well worth checking it out and one of our favourite sites to go to now.

• 6 months later...

Cheeky necro.  But any news on a new site? Or has this sadly not worked out.  Has some great games at swas :(

On 05/01/2020 at 20:35, kasaran said:

Cheeky necro.  But any news on a new site? Or has this sadly not worked out.  Has some great games at swas :(

Still nothing mate, had a few in the works but fell through, issue is in the local area any sites with buildings are being used already or going to be converted into housing, still looking!

Archived