Throat protection

Leader Bee
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking for some decent throat protection - some of you might think i'm a pussy (well...I am, and I don't like being shot in the neck!)

Shemaghs or net scarves seem to be the go-to for this sort of thing but it looks like they can get pretty warm when you're running around and ontop of that, it looks like they give minimal protection anyway. I was looking at something more like a raised collar and I have seen items like this https://www.ebay.ie/itm/US-ACU-DIAMONDBACK-DBT-BATTLELAB-VIKING-ENFORCER-THROAT-PROTECTOR-WITH-KEVLAR-/132242278438?hash=item1eca410826 but many of them seem to be vintage and a little more expensive than i'd expect.

I suppose there are the Paintball Dye throat protectors but they don't seem to come in any kind of camo.

What do you guys use? if anything?

• Supporters

Never seen any throat protection for Airsoft (others may have) and to be fair I’ve been playing for yrs and can’t remember ever getting hit hard enough to warrant needing any or heard of anyone saying they did either .

Never used anything, except a shemagh but that is more for warmth and only worn in the winter. Never had an issue . 

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

can’t remember ever getting hit hard enough to warrant needing any or heard of anyone saying they did either .

It's a tricky one.  There's not much neck gear designed for protection from low energy impacts.  Let's ponder on it.

I usually just use the collar on the army surplus  jackets or UBACS.  Zip up the UBACS all the way or use the velcro strap on the jacket to seal up the neck.

Lower mesh facepro covers the top of the neck.

Only time I ever got hit in the neck and felt it was when I forgot to zip up the UBACS 😬.

Cheers

G

British Army sweat rag, about £2 new (ech, who'd want a used one!!!).

Works for loads of things and you'll look dapper with it as a cravat. :D

Sometimes I use that (normally after I've already been shot in the neck, pointless I know) or I may use a Flecktarn bandana but any type would do. The flecktarn one is triangular, very soft but thick and large so again it works for loads of things.

Otherwise it's generally just collars up & head down...

Welp, first time I hear about proper neck protection..

I guess the standard kefiah (shemagh or whatever western infidels call it) would be ok, works even as mouth pro..

If it's cold (and I mean fart-freezing cold) I wear a black/green fleece neck tube that acts as mouth protection.. Being loose and fluffy it absorbs all the energy from impacting bbs, and they're usually long enough to cover both mouth and neck, unless you're a giraffe, in that case you can sew 2 together :P

or you can wear those EOD flak neck pieces and sweat like a mofo but be 100% sure nothing will make its way to your throat 

Just tie a scrim net around your neck, protective whilst not being too hot. Honestly though, neck shots are a non-worry for me, I've been hit in the neck and unless you're being shot point blank at 500fps in the wind pipe, you've got nothing to worry about

You can always try a Norwegian shirt basically it's a top zipped turtleneck so you can roll it down or up, should be able to pick them up cheap in army surplus stores

Do a The Hurt Locker impressions kit! 😂

• Supporters

Got to ask. How many times have you been shot in the throat? 

I play lay fast and up front, and get shot all the time, and I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I have been shot in the neck, and they really didn’t hurt as much as say a pinky shot, or the ear lobe, or worse still; the nipple 😱

If you can honestly say you have been hit in the neck multiple times, look at getting a Shnood. 

Not airsofty, but nothing is gonna get you through one of them.

I seem to get shot in the throat at least a couple of times every game day. I tend to wear a buff now, which takes enough of the sting out of it that the bb does't leave a mark. And I don't get too hot. Also means I don't get sunburn when it sunny!

You get many different types. Thin ones and ultra thick for winter. They even come in funky camo! https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Seamless-Multifunctional-Neckwarmer-Motorcycling-Camouflage/dp/B01MTAAYMU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1542026786&sr=8-10&keywords=neck+buff 

• Supporters
17 hours ago, Leader Bee said:

Going to try a basic paintball neck protector and wrap it in camo

Probably your best shout.  Fabric camo tape is pretty decent stuff.

Ive been shot in the neck/throat a few times. Made me think about how to protect the neck when I done my Greg (Grey) loadout. I ended up getting a balaclava which takes a lot of sting out of the BB. If you dont want it to cover your face, then roll it down to under your chin which will loose it up a lot more and provide some protection. Depending on your load out, or go with the above of a shemale 

13 hours ago, Seany.exe said:

Just get one of these

bam.jpg

Would love to. Half of the fun of Airsoft for me is the dressing up but I probably don't have the money for one nor know where to start looking.

3 hours ago, Arwen said:

I seem to get shot in the throat at least a couple of times every game day. I tend to wear a buff now, which takes enough of the sting out of it that the bb does't leave a mark. And I don't get too hot. Also means I don't get sunburn when it sunny!

You get many different types. Thin ones and ultra thick for winter. They even come in funky camo! https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Seamless-Multifunctional-Neckwarmer-Motorcycling-Camouflage/dp/B01MTAAYMU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1542026786&sr=8-10&keywords=neck+buff 

damn, wish i'd have seen these sooner, but hey, nevermind I can go back and try these if the alternative doesn't work.

• Supporters

Lol, I took one point blank in the Adams apple once, hurt like a mofo & made me gag/choke, but once in 17+ years isn't gonna make me rush out & buy some kinda protection that ultimately is gonna be restrictive & prob hold a lot of heat in when playing.

If we tried to (over) protect all the  sensitive bits we'd end up looking like a juggernaut in no time.

Archived