Been fun while it lasted..

Shaun Haynes
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters
1 hour ago, EvilMonkee said:

Don't think it is that imminent.

is it not, I thought they were giving it out that its impending this time last year, & again at the beginning of the summer, lol the cynical amongst us might think that's a ploy to boost flagging bookings 😉.

not been there for a while (3+ yrs), one of those sites i tell my my lad he should play before its gone, bit of a legendary site.

maybe time for a road trip, Shaun & anybody else interested ?

We were told at least a year off.  Though a good combat indicator was the PT76 tanks being moved to their woodland site earlier in the year so maybe get up again before its too late?  There is a thread somewhere in the events section that a few regulars on here post in when they are going to get a group together.  I go maybe once a month as I am more involved with historical airsoft.

On 12/11/2018 at 12:02, EvilMonkee said:

If you can travel there is Urban Assault near Peterborough thats only an 1hr and half or so away and is an excellent CQB site.

+1 on this. Went Saturday for the first time and had a great time. Last game was basically buildings only cqb, was mega fun!

Break the milsim games.

Pick a load-out designed to infuriate and upset as many of the mil-simmers as possible.

Personal favourite is blue jeans, DMP smok, balaclava. And go as the IRA. If you have any ex service men on the field they won't like it... They like it even less if you play IRA songs through your phone whilst playing. And if you can get a group of  you to do it you might even cause a few walk outs.

3 minutes ago, Iceni said:

... go as the IRA. If you have any ex service men on the field they won't like it... They like it even less if you play IRA songs through your phone whilst playing.

Might also offend those us that aren't ex services who lost family and friends to them too though...

Might also offend those us that aren't ex services who lost family and friends to them too though...

The same can be said for any load-out you pick. There are 2 sides in any battle, and people die on both sides.

You can't be offended, It's milsim.

While I agree on the 2 side part of it, there's always an added risk of "playing a faction" not part of the SIM adding a layer of offence. Just tell anyone who moans that you're a Merc or a PMC unit, and see how many people will still try and tell you you're still doing it wrong! 

Each to their own, I'm more offended by bad sportsmanship than anything else tbh. 

25 minutes ago, skintrade said:

there's always an added risk of "playing a faction" not part of the SIM adding a layer of offence

How can something in history not be part of the simulation.

Milsim splits in a odd way.

NATO - USA, UK, EU camo.

Spec Forces - Black, police

AK army - Everything else, And that's not just Russian, You have Dictators and Terrorists.

If you want to play NATO forces, and go into great kit detail and specify unit, Rank, Insignia ect ect,

Then the other player has the same rights to play the lowest of the low and do it well.

Black yourself up, Pick the terrorists, Play the IRA, Be a Chechen war lord. Lord it up, Play the music, Wave the flags. And when they ask you to stop... You point out that milsim is bollocks.

1 hour ago, Iceni said:

Break the milsim games.

Pick a load-out designed to infuriate and upset as many of the mil-simmers as possible.

Personal favourite is blue jeans, DMP smok, balaclava. And go as the IRA. If you have any ex service men on the field they won't like it... They like it even less if you play IRA songs through your phone whilst playing. And if you can get a group of  you to do it you might even cause a few walk outs.

Why play a game you don’t like to go out of your way to ruin it for everyone else?

37 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Why play a game you don’t like to go out of your way to ruin it for everyone else?

I never said I don't like games with realistic ammo counts, And well kitted players.

But If I'm going to play on a team that is so geared towards been the stereotypical bad guys, then that is exactly what I'll be playing. And I'll do it well.

It can't be ruining it for everyone else... They went to a mil sim game... Do they not expect a simulated AK army, based on Terrorists and Dictators,  I believe the rules probably tell you to be as realistic as possible, Where possible.

If someone playing any terrorist organisation bothers you then perhaps mil sim should be avoided. 

And therein resides my whole argument. You can't expect to go to a mil sim game and play a sim level kit load-out on the "good guys" or "Police" teams and not expect the guys playing on the "bad guys" team to do a correct load-out for themselves.

If it upsets you and you expect the "bad guys" team are going to play generic bad guys then you have lost one of the most entertaining aspects of mil sim.

The "bad guys" should be playing load-outs that make your skin crawl. Because you can shoot at those evil buggers. And If you can't work that out and need to walk off it's you that is at fault.

Being Northern Irish I find the IRA particularly loathsome but that being said I can understand Iceni's point of view re MilSim and the conflict is now coming up on being over for over 25 years so I would say its fair game.

11 hours ago, Iceni said:

Break the milsim games.

There's being immersive and then there's being a bit of a dick... its not what you're saying its how you're saying it. To me this reads like you intentionally go out to shock and piss people off rather than doing it in the name of the game.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Iceni said:

Have you done this in practice, or is this keyboard heroism?

It is an interesting point though, and well argued in the subsequent posts.

The last milsim-lites up here were military-vs-cartel, then US government vs oathkeeper patriot/hicks.  The camo brigade got to geardo up, the rest of us got to break out our Hawaiian shirts and then Murca flags, everybody had a good time, nobody got offered out.  Seems like a decent way to run a "sim".

8 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Have you done this in practice, or is this keyboard heroism?

We had a group of us do it a few years ago. Once the other team got over the shock reveal we had a very good day. There were a couple that wern't so happy with it, no one actually walked off, a couple were close when we started to set up check points, and got the music playing. There were a couple of ex-services that did a NI tour and even they eventually got over it.

I was expecting that reaction... It's why I didn't fully explain the first post. It needs to be attacked before you can show the logic in it. The guy in our group who suggested it in the first place got a similar reaction from all of us until he explained what he was wanting, and once we had the plan it worked very well. It certainly spices up playing the AK army and actually gives you far more to do in game than just look pretty. We took hostages as well, They were given coffee and cake, Asked to pose for a on the knees hands on the head surrender then let go to re-spawn.

1 hour ago, Iceni said:

We had a group of us do it a few years ago. Once the other team got over the shock reveal we had a very good day. There were a couple that wern't so happy with it, no one actually walked off, a couple were close when we started to set up check points, and got the music playing. There were a couple of ex-services that did a NI tour and even they eventually got over it.

I was expecting that reaction... It's why I didn't fully explain the first post. It needs to be attacked before you can show the logic in it. The guy in our group who suggested it in the first place got a similar reaction from all of us until he explained what he was wanting, and once we had the plan it worked very well. It certainly spices up playing the AK army and actually gives you far more to do in game than just look pretty. We took hostages as well, They were given coffee and cake, Asked to pose for a on the knees hands on the head surrender then let go to re-spawn.

I guess that's gonna enhance the immersion..

And honestly how milsims should be played :)

• Supporters

Did a Blackhawk Down themed game a few years ago, was keen to dust off my US choc chip bdu's, but one of the organisers puts on their website that literally everyone is wants to be delta etc, & there was gonna be a serious shortage of "skinnies"......alway one for a giggle I have a root through the back of the wardrobe & find a Rasta woolly hat, complete with attached dreadlocks, borrowed a mates man united shirt, & cam up using only the brown end of my camo stick....... voilà, instant skinny.

Had an amazing day, really hammed it up, got through tons of bb's without actually looking down the sights lol.

But there was a complaint about me "blacking up", & it came from the whitest middle class plummy twat on site, typical pc snowflake 😉.

I've never attended a Milsim event, but would really like to!

Personally I wouldn't give a toss if somebody 'blacked up' or took the role of 'nasty people' quite literally! 😂

Surely that's all part of the immersion, and what you want from a Milsim scenario? 

From what upcoming events I've seen, it looks like the role of Delta etc gets snapped up very quickly! But I would love to have a crack at running around in some ill fitting fatigues and sporting the most random retro RIF's I could find! 

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Iceni said:

I was expecting that reaction... It's why I didn't fully explain the first post. It needs to be attacked before you can show the logic in it.

I had that initial "How very dare you!" reaction, but it's a fair point and well made that if you're going to play toy soldiers as Goodies versus Baddies, then you should be prepared to see some Literal Hitlers out there.

Anyone for Daesh?

• Supporters
48 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Anyone for Daesh?

I'm already googling sellers of fake decapitated heads..........too much ?

IMG_4104.PNG

7 hours ago, Tackle said:

I'm already googling sellers of fake decapitated heads..........too much ?

Not at all but you need to get the Marshals on side. If it's done right you can use hostages to influence a game.

Ask the Marshals if they can run the game with token hostages. If you can get a surrender call then you gain a token.

It'll stop the assaulters been able to use grenades, and spray tactics. And you might be able to exchange a hostage for ammo ect.

• 5 months later...
  • Supporters

bit if a necropost in relation to SEO airsoft, a while back they announced they were becoming involved with bush valley airsoft, a site near Leeds castle in Kent, & were gonna organise scenario's/gamedays & marshalling, as well as improving the physical features of the site.

anyway, the missus has asked me to run an errand & collect something for her, turns out its up the road from the site, not one to waste an opportunity I thought id dust off the kit & give the "new improved" site a spin, I'll update you guys what its like, dunno if anyone from here's gonna be playing, if so give me a slap & say hi, I'll prob be in vegetata & OD 😁

50 minutes ago, Tackle said:

bit if a necropost in relation to SEO airsoft, a while back they announced they were becoming involved with bush valley airsoft, a site near Leeds castle in Kent, & were gonna organise scenario's/gamedays & marshalling, as well as improving the physical features of the site.

anyway, the missus has asked me to run an errand & collect something for her, turns out its up the road from the site, not one to waste an opportunity I thought id dust off the kit & give the "new improved" site a spin, I'll update you guys what its like, dunno if anyone from here's gonna be playing, if so give me a slap & say hi, I'll prob be in vegetata & OD 😁

Bush Valley has a lot of potential as the people who run the skirmishes own the land. Hopefully they have reopened the "Valley" part of it now. 

• Moderators
On 12/11/2018 at 14:21, Tackle said:

is it not, I thought they were giving it out that its impending this time last year, & again at the beginning of the summer, lol the cynical amongst us might think that's a ploy to boost flagging bookings 😉.

not been there for a while (3+ yrs), one of those sites i tell my my lad he should play before its gone, bit of a legendary site.

maybe time for a road trip, Shaun & anybody else interested ?

on another note, as posted elsewhere, supposed to be this summer close down (urban assault) so only a few more game dates planned.........may get extended again like before!

23 hours ago, djben9 said:

on another note, as posted elsewhere, supposed to be this summer close down (urban assault) so only a few more game dates planned.........may get extended again like before!

Apparently it has been sold.  And firesupport are only able to rent it for 2 week blocks.  So they have it until the new owner decides to not renew the lease.  2 week notice effectively on its closure.  Kinda sucks as then you cant plan for a big send off

Archived