Sniper or Designated Marksman?

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've been playing a little while and so far have mostly been fielding just normal AEG's.
I get a bit frustrated by being outranged - especially when it feels like I'm only 5M from my spawn and I'm dead again.
So I'm thinking about the difference between the Sniper or DM role.
And I'm wondering which I will enjoy the most.
As for DM, I have two guns which could help me in the role, once they're fixed up - an MWS, which is currently getting some RDB love. And an SVU which is being flathopped and tightbored.

However, the MWS cannot be termed silent or sneaky in any way shape or form - and DMR's are limited to 400fps at my local site, which means not much advantage over a well tuned AEG.
That's got me thinking about snipers.
Thanks to Mr Wick, I love the SRS and remain very tempted to get the sport.
At the end of the day, I want to shoot people from far away and limit their opportunity to hit me first.
I guess what my ramble is leading to is:
Which of the two roles do you play?
Which do you prefer and why?
What's your gun for your chosen role and what have you done to it?
TIA 😄 

Not what you probably want to hear but have you upgraded the AEGs with decent barrel and hop system? Used heavy BBs? My experience is that an upgraded AEG will hit out as far as a DMR when set up correctly and has the added advantage of full auto.

For example my TM Aug HC runs a tightbore prommy barrel with stock hop and rubber. 210fps on .25's and it outranges my mates upgraded evo that fires at 330fps by a good few metres . 

I run a pimped VSR' and a sidearm or two occasionally 3 - everyone needs a John Wick moment sometimes!

Generally I'll slip away and stalk my own prey as it were. So that to me would be a little more of a sniper styled gameplay but I don't really get a chance to setup a hide or anything. I just go for an obscure untravelled route whilst the AEGs distract the bulk of the opposition. 

Sometimes I'll stick with a group and support which to me is a DMR role. Simply a sharpshooter with the pack rather than a sharpshooter lone wolfing it.

Both styles normally allow me to stay out of range of the opposition. But I do like to run in kamikaze sometimes.

So (I'm rambling too...lol) my question is which of the above describe your vision of gameplay?

LOL.... funny thing is I can pick off snipers with my ARP9!

I sometimes role a sniper - I got a nice little Cyma 702a that seems to be keeping up with the big boys and it is very satisfying the longer shots.

The reason I say sometimes is that one of the issues I find alot of the time is that I will be sitting there picking dudes off and most of my team will be behind me just doing nothing.

I know I shouldn't care so much about winning but if no one else is gonna push the objective then I have to so I end up more John Wick than Bob Lee Swagger, running in with a pistol.

I try and carry a closer range primary aswell but I find myself feeling bulky and not so good at crawling around.

My mate runs a Cyma M14 and that is working really well for him, its only 360fps but seems to fling the BBs much farther than most guns so he tends to go sniper hunting and then steal their position to snipe the other team which with his faster fire rate works wonders. So I wouldn't take DMR off the table.

4 minutes ago, Game Cam said:

I sometimes role a sniper - I got a nice little Cyma 702a that seems to be keeping up with the big boys and it is very satisfying the longer shots.

The reason I say sometimes is that one of the issues I find alot of the time is that I will be sitting there picking dudes off and most of my team will be behind me just doing nothing.

I know I shouldn't care so much about winning but if no one else is gonna push the objective then I have to so I end up more John Wick than Bob Lee Swagger, running in with a pistol.

I try and carry a closer range weapon aswell but I find myself feeling bulky and not so good at crawling around.

My mate runs a Cyma M14 and that is working really well for him, its only 360fps but seems to fling the BBs much farther than most guns so he tends to go sniper hunting and then steal their position to snipe the other team which with his faster fire rate works wonders. So I wouldn't take DMR off the table.

Unfortunately I think the problem here is the sites design and teammates. Changing your gun to a DMR or sniper won't turn the tide of battle. 

By all means go for the DMR/sniper role for a fun change of pace, but your justification for doing it is not a good one. Just buy what you want and enjoy it 🙂

19 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Not what you probably want to hear but have you upgraded the AEGs with decent barrel and hop system? Used heavy BBs? My experience is that an upgraded AEG will hit out as far as a DMR when set up correctly and has the added advantage of full auto.

For example my TM Aug HC runs a tightbore prommy barrel with stock hop and rubber. 210fps on .25's and it outranges my mates upgraded evo that fires at 330fps by a good few metres . 

My AEGs are bog standard at present chucking .28s. My SVU is in the process of being upgraded, with a view to using it in the DM role.

18 minutes ago, Immortal said:

I run a pimped VSR' and a sidearm or two occasionally 3 - everyone needs a John Wick moment sometimes!

Generally I'll slip away and stalk my own prey as it were. So that to me would be a little more of a sniper styled gameplay but I don't really get a chance to setup a hide or anything. I just go for an obscure untravelled route whilst the AEGs distract the bulk of the opposition. 

Sometimes I'll stick with a group and support which to me is a DMR role. Simply a sharpshooter with the pack rather than a sharpshooter lone wolfing it.

Both styles normally allow me to stay out of range of the opposition. But I do like to run in kamikaze sometimes.

So (I'm rambling too...lol) my question is which of the above describe your vision of gameplay?

I like both scenarios!
I like trying to be sneaky. The problem with my present guns is I have to be so sneaky that by the time I can hit SOME of them, I can be hit by ALL of them.....

I run an mws DMR, which I love. The past couple of times I’ve gone with a couple of mates to Anzio and it’s been a sniper with a gas m40, me with my gas DMR and another with a recoil. We always went off and did our own thing and were sneaky. Gave us the option to always be in the fight. 

With DMR’s and snipers, they have to be well set up, or your just hindering yourself.

now.. assuming you have your aeg/DMR/sniper set up to be as good as it can be, the rest depends on the site and your ability. If the site design doesn’t lend itself to long range advantage, you’re better served with an aeg. If you’ve lots of opportunities for 60m+ shots then a DMR/sniper will give you an edge 

7 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

I run an mws DMR, which I love. The past couple of times I’ve gone with a couple of mates to Anzio and it’s been a sniper with a gas m40, me with my gas DMR and another with a recoil. We always went off and did our own thing and were sneaky. Gave us the option to always be in the fight. 

With DMR’s and snipers, they have to be well set up, or your just hindering yourself.

now.. assuming you have your aeg/DMR/sniper set up to be as good as it can be, the rest depends on the site and your ability. If the site design doesn’t lend itself to long range advantage, you’re better served with an aeg. If you’ve lots of opportunities for 60m+ shots then a DMR/sniper will give you an edge 

The main site I play at caters for both - depending on what point we're at in the day.
60M plus shots can be taken regularly if you've got a rif that'll do it.
That's why I'm looking for something with a bit more reach...

A 350 FPS Mws with some .32’s will hit 65m all day long. With another 50 FPS and some .36-.40 you’ll hit 75m with it. Assuming it’s set up well 

Although it, not a DMR or Sniper why not buy an ICS GLM M203  then load it up with TAG  Reaper MK2  explosive projectile rounds,   which can do about 65m when fire direct as you would with your standard  AEG and even further if fired at an angled. But the best part is the TAG reapers rounds explode so you do not have to be very accurate with it, just fire near the target/targets even if said target/targets are hiding behind certain types of cover and boom no more Chinese laundry.

You could even add a magnified optic to the  GLM 203 as it has ris rail on the top and then you can claim to be a sharpshooter another point to note is the ICS GLM 203 is somewhat, semi-auto so you can fire as fast as you can pull the trigger.   That, in my opinion, would provide more use to the team as a whole than just your bog standard bolt action rifle with high powered magnified optic or semi-auto DMR  and you get the range advantage you looking for, but with the ability in some cases to wipe out whole squads in a single salvo.  I have been on the receiving end of this type of set up and it was awe-inspiring, terrifying and devastating       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwlfawI6Zl0

Caveats to this idea are:

• The cost not only the initial cost of buying everything but the upkeep as well.
  • Some sites do not allow TAG products to be used. 
  •  People complain of it being unfair ( pay to win was the phrase used) 

• Supporters

*cough* AEG primary shooting .3s and a Tm MK23 upgraded shooting .46 *cough* 

If you can’t out range people with those, your shooting from to far away!

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

I like both scenarios!
I like trying to be sneaky. The problem with my present guns is I have to be so sneaky that by the time I can hit SOME of them, I can be hit by ALL of them.....

In that case I'd go with your temptation and get the SRS. Sneaky will certainly require single shots to remain 'Sneaky'.

And those single shots are more than enough to thin or slow an oncoming force.

The SRS will tick all the boxes and unlike my VSR you can run with it out the box and pimp it later if you want to.

The DMR players I come up against aren't sneaky at all, most spam the triggers like an M4 but with more power.

I do like the DMRs but they're just a midpoint between an Assault style RIF and a Long Range style RIF. Bit of both, best of neither.

Besides, an SRS or similar will be significanly different to your current RIFs so what better excuse to justify another. lol :D

Like all tools though, it's only as effective as the hand that wields it. 🤪  I'm sure your Kung Fu is strong though (don't want you to think me rude :D )

6 minutes ago, Prisce said:

*cough* AEG primary shooting .3s and a Tm MK23 upgraded shooting .46 *cough* 

If you can’t out range people with those, your shooting from to far away!

I don't think my AEG's could chuck .3's as standard.
And my sidearm is an upgraded MK23 - which outranges my AEGs with ease....

• Supporters

I don't think my AEG's could chuck .3's as standard.

Flat hop your AEG, it’ll take the .3s with ease. 

For those sneaky shots, that Mk23 is all you need. 

• Supporters

Stick a small fixed scope on it and use this as your primary!

i did it (as did a team mate) with HFC ones with the barrel extender/suppressor in place , as it was pumping out over 400fps the head marshal at our local said we could use them under the sniper rules so stuck .32’s in it and away to go ! 😂

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Stick a small fixed scope on it and use this as your primary!

i did it (as did a team mate) with HFC ones with the barrel extender/suppressor in place , as it was pumping out over 400fps the head marshal at our local said we could use them under the sniper rules so stuck .32’s in it and away to go ! 😂

I've done this with the mk23 in a carbine kit with a 220 barrel under dmr rules.

I actually prefer it as a pistol though!

I used to love the DMR role: I had a G&G M14 with a scope that I took to every game, and it worked great in a role where I was always at the front, managing to hit those guys jist slightly out of reach. But it was lacking a certain something to take care of snipers and the such like. In other words, it was great for hitting people in one shot that I could have technically hit eventually with a 350 FPS gun, had I had the inclination to empty half a mag at them.

Since then I bought a SSG24 and a CYMA Dragunov, and found the boltie was better in every way (even after upgrading the SVD). More range, more consistency, more fun. 

I still play the same role as with a DMR. I'm often at the front of my team, I just find the boltie does the job far more effectively than any DMR has. 

So in answer to your original question, I've played both roles, and now prefer sniper to DMR, and find that having a 'sniper rifle' doesn't mean for a second that you need to hide in a bush for the entirety of the match! If you want to shoot people from far away, and make them look around confused when you hit them, go for a bolt action. In my opinion, anyway!

22 hours ago, Immortal said:

Besides, an SRS or similar will be significanly different to your current RIFs so what better excuse to justify another. lol :D

I blame you entirely! 😂

Today I succumbed and pre-ordered a gen 3 SRS sport.
I am fairly sure they make you wait and wait and wait just to get you ready for the sniper role...

12 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I blame you entirely! 😂

Today I succumbed and pre-ordered a gen 3 SRS sport.
I am fairly sure they make you wait and wait and wait just to get you ready for the sniper role...

My pleasure, anytime. lol :lol:

• Supporters
19 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

I've done this with the mk23 in a carbine kit with a 220 barrel under dmr rules.

I actually prefer it as a pistol though!

Balls to the carbine kit ! Just use it as a pistol such satisfaction and long range kills with a pistol ! 😈

4 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Balls to the carbine kit ! Just use it as a pistol such satisfaction and long range kills with a pistol ! 😈

Hell yes - Nothing more satisfying than shooting a chap with a rifle with you sidearm..... When they realise what shot them 😄

On 06/11/2018 at 17:44, Asomodai said:

I totally agree with this. Both my AEG's out shoot some snipers and DMR's at my local site. One of my AEG's is completly stock, the other shot easily 65m with only a new hop rubber and nub. 

• Supporters

Hell yes - Nothing more satisfying than shooting a chap with a rifle with you sidearm..... When they realise what shot them 😄

Yes ! Do so love it when a player sees you point a sidearm at him he starts acting the fool as he knows pistols won’t reach anywhere near him and pop ! Takes a round from you ! 😂😂

I've scared enough snipers with my full auto AEG r hopped shooting .28s that I'm not that fussed about using a booty. I like having the quick follow up shots so I'm about to start a SCAR H DMR build to run as my primary at my local woodland site.

Archived