Ghillie Suit Critique

ChrisG
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Give us pics of the field you'll be using it at..

Also buy some burlap and dye it in OD green, light brown (coyote brownish) and dark green (make 3 separate bundles), tie some elastic bands or paracord in random spots all over the suit so you can attach proper local vegetation..

Don't make it too bulky or you'll overheat in seconds..

If it was mine I'd cut it right below the armpits, you need to break the head/shoulders shape, you don't really need to conceal your waist or legs.. There's bushes for that :)

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Skara said:

Give us pics of the field you'll be using it at..

Also buy some burlap and dye it in OD green, light brown (coyote brownish) and dark green (make 3 separate bundles), tie some elastic bands or paracord in random spots all over the suit so you can attach proper local vegetation..

Don't make it too bulky or you'll overheat in seconds..

If it was mine I'd cut it right below the armpits, you need to break the head/shoulders shape, you don't really need to conceal your waist or legs.. There's bushes for that :)

They mentioned Shock and Awesome in their profile and as it's the only one listed I would assume it's that. Looks like your typical woodland skirmish site. 

But yeah, a pic or two on-site would help. My advice aside from matching the terrain (duh) is to get good ventilation. Mesh fabric under the arms and on the back is a godsend when wearing ghillies. 

I dont have any photos of site apart from their fb but yes your typical woodland bush. Its a mesh fabric suit anyway so its quite airy... will look at the burlap.

42 minutes ago, ChrisG said:

I dont have any photos of site apart from their fb but yes your typical woodland bush. Its a mesh fabric suit anyway so its quite airy... will look at the burlap.

Mesh will be airy, but add loose layers etc and your making a pocket of air close to your body

(think of it as a tactical string vest)

It won’t keep you alive in the artic, but dont underestimate the power of a little warmth 

4 hours ago, ChrisG said:

Then go for different shades of green and test it.. If it's too bright then you can make the whole thing darker by spraying it with green or black (yes, black, if you keep the can far enough you don't actually paint it but only darken the colour)..

It's trial and error, once you get the right to be for the base, it's a matter of finding the right local material to stick on every time you use it :)

Cool dude. Also think seasonal and where your playing; what plants and trees grow there, how they grow, abundance, etc.

Mimic accordingly.

Consider your shape and form, don't look humanoid. Use highlights where shadows are expected, hangy bits to distort your figure.

8 minutes ago, Immortal said:

Cool dude. Also think seasonal and where your playing; what plants and trees grow there, how they grow, abundance, etc.

Mimic accordingly.

Consider your shape and form, don't look humanoid. Use highlights where shadows are expected, hangy bits to distort your figure.

Will do. Ordered a load more fake leaves and some fern etc just to start bushing it out now. 

8 hours ago, ChrisG said:

Will do. Ordered a load more fake leaves and some fern etc just to start bushing it out now. 

Why fake leaves when you can use proper ones? 🤔

16 hours ago, ChrisG said:

So ive started making my ghillie suit. Based on the MHF leaf suit. Any critique, suggestions etc would really help.

FB_IMG_1541523335138.jpg

FB_IMG_1541523342426.jpg

Looks great, cant see you at all in it.. Looks just like a bush hanging on the door ;)  

But as said, just make it look as close to your play area as poss.. Maybe think about using some real foliage from your site too..

5 hours ago, Skara said:

Why fake leaves when you can use proper ones? 🤔

Ill be using both.... 

4 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

Looks great, cant see you at all in it.. Looks just like a bush hanging on the door ;)  

But as said, just make it look as close to your play area as poss.. Maybe think about using some real foliage from your site too..

Will be. Just building a solid base first.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

And solid it is.  That already looks better than an off-the-peg Wookie Suit.

Haha thank you. First time ever doing something like this. Just winging it.

15 hours ago, ChrisG said:

Just winging it.

All great ideas started this way ;)

You may find when playing that things need tweaking and this is a work in progress forever, but then im STILL moving things around on my belt and loadout three years later :P  

Great suit. Really like the design so far.

Makes me want to make my own. Think I'll just tweak my wildlands character for now lol :)

4 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

All great ideas started this way ;)

You may find when playing that things need tweaking and this is a work in progress forever, but then im STILL moving things around on my belt and loadout three years later :P  

Oh i dont mind this. Ill be making a summer one next year too 😂

3 hours ago, tasum said:

Great suit. Really like the design so far.

Makes me want to make my own. Think I'll just tweak my wildlands character for now lol :)

Thank you for the comments 😊

8 minutes ago, Immortal said:

Ther's a big pile of compost in your kitchen... :D

Mrs goint mental! Gonna end up planting me 😂

19 minutes ago, skintrade said:

Looking good chap

Thank you 😊

Archived