Airsoft tournaments and competitions

isaacgowling
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So ive been airsofting for a long while and am part of an established team. In the process of looking for local competitions or tournaments I learned that there are practicaly none in the UK at all. I can understand events like these will require alot of effort and high interest from players to work but I am still surprised there are none. If I am wrong about this let me know but I just think it's sad. We know it works they do many in the USA speedsoft (not a fan of) and skirmish based tournaments alike. Let me know of any opinion or facts you may have on the topic.

Nah, forget about tournaments..

We have plenty of those here in Italy..

They work to an extent, because organizing one takes way more (human) resources than you imagine.. You need qualified refs, if you play 1 vs 1 (teams) you need multiple small fields, so that's at least 4 refs per field.

Here we play against the organization in a series of 5/6 objective zones in a row, with up to 5 defenders per zone (that's already 30 people), with 3 to 4 refs per zone (another 24 people). You need someone to chrono guns (1/2 people), you need someone who keeps everything under control (1 to 3 people)..

You need the land, you need an ambulance, you need a working car (preferably a 4wd), you need props and other materials like generators and all sorts of things..

Trust me, it's not easy.

Also as jcheeseright said, people will start cheating like crazy f*cks once there's a prize of some sort, people will call hits only if there's a ref within 3 metres or he can see you, you'll see a lot of people swapping guns after the chrono and all sorts of things..

The idea isn't bad, it just doesn't work with humans :P

• Supporters

open skirmish day ? Yup that fine , day or wknd long ‘themed’ game ? yup there good too

BUT once you chuck recordable wins on any kind of score board and it all goes to ratshit as these kind of things always attract the win at any cost brigade and unless you flood the field with marshals it’ll just be one big clusterf**k from start to finish.

1 hour ago, Skara said:

They work to an extent, because organizing one takes way more (human) resources than you imagine.. You need qualified refs, if you play 1 vs 1 (teams) you need multiple small fields, so that's at least 4 refs per field.

Here we play against the organization in a series of 5/6 objective zones in a row, with up to 5 defenders per zone (that's already 30 people), with 3 to 4 refs per zone (another 24 people). You need someone to chrono guns (1/2 people), you need someone who keeps everything under control (1 to 3 people)..

You need the land, you need an ambulance, you need a working car (preferably a 4wd), you need props and other materials like generators and all sorts of things..

Trust me, it's not easy.

Also as jcheeseright said, people will start cheating like crazy f*cks once there's a prize of some sort, people will call hits only if there's a ref within 3 metres or he can see you, you'll see a lot of people swapping guns after the chrono and all sorts of things..

15 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

open skirmish day ? Yup that fine , day or wknd long ‘themed’ game ? yup there good too

BUT once you chuck recordable wins on any kind of score board and it all goes to ratshit as these kind of things always attract the win at any cost brigade and unless you flood the field with marshals it’ll just be one big clusterf**k from start to finish.

You've convinced me. 

I Renounce airsoft tournaments 😂 😛

• Supporters
3 hours ago, isaacgowling said:

in USA tournaments they have many marshals that will see when you cheat

Which is a sad indictment of the players.

As per the last time this came up, I'd want to see equal weight given to a player-voted award for spirit of the game.

16 hours ago, Skara said:

Planet Earth isn't bad, it just doesn't work with humans :P

Fixed...

Yeah bad morning lol!!

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Samurai said:

It's not any worse than with 350

It's 30% worse according to traditional physics, but I guess in airsoft it depends on the brand of gun.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

It's 30% worse according to traditional physics, but I guess in airsoft it depends on the brand of gun.

indeed, marui for example tends to have 25% of the bb drag coeffecient of a regular aeg so at 350fps it'll hit nearly as hard and go nearly as far.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

indeed, marui for example tends to have 25% of the bb drag coeffecient of a regular aeg so at 350fps it'll hit nearly as hard and go nearly as far.

Ah yes, that well known TM factor 

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Ah yes, that well known TM factor 

it's the dust that the hop rubber leaves on the bb when it's fired, increases surface roughness into the area known as the "drag crisis", needless to say the composition of this dust is marui's secret.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

It doesn't hurt more and aren't more injuries than with 350.

Maybe it's psychological. Like when people do contact sports sparring, like kickboxing with or without shinguards and headguards. With protective gear people hit harder but without it, they are way more careful so it's actually hurts less when not wearing protection.

On 06/11/2018 at 17:05, Skara said:

Trust me, it's not easy.

Could you post some links to those in Italy that are doing it?

Digital Observer look like they know what they're doing.

Digital Observer organizes milsims, not regular tournaments..

I never took part in one of their events but I'd like to..

Also, there's not a real company organizing tournaments, each team does it if they feel like it or need money, some of them are part of regional championships that end up with the first team per region to take part in the national finals, but then again the event is organized by the hosting teams, not by a third party company, so even getting you links is pretty much impossible 

Just now, Skara said:

Digital Observer organizes milsims, not regular tournaments..

I never took part in one of their events but I'd like to..

Also, there's not a real company organizing tournaments, each team does it if they feel like it or need money, some of them are part of regional championships that end up with the first team per region to take part in the national finals, but then again the event is organized by the hosting teams, not by a third party company, so even getting you links is pretty much impossible 

Ah, so they're just like the UK then, fair enough.

50 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

Ah, so they're just like the UK then, fair enough.

I mean, if you want to know how we play tournaments I made a thread not too long ago called "how competitive airsoft works in Italy" or something similar 

1 minute ago, Skara said:

I mean, if you want to know how we play tournaments I made a thread not too long ago called "how competitive airsoft works in Italy" or something similar 

I'll look for it today, thanks!

Archived