Check this out and receive an invisibility-cape! (Gas users only)

Thestudentfromcph
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Now that I got your attention ….

Hi, just a short introduction. My name is Kasper Thorup and I study at Copenhagen Business Academy (Denmark) where I study a Bachelor in International Sales & Marketing Management. For my bachelor project I've chosen to write about airsoft. Am I an "airsofter"? No. Why write about it then? Because it amazes me that such a niche hobby seems to be SO HUGE! And I want to know everything about the industry behind (Brand, manufacturers and so on), and what the newest trends are among end-users. That is why I have made a few posts here already.
In this questionnaire I focus on gas (not Co2 capsules) mainly because of the different brands being aggressive in their marketing and promotion, and a part of my bachelor project will be analyzing exactly that.

For my project I need as many respondents as possible (at least 1000), so if you give me a few minutes of your time I will send good vibes in your direction!

Please use this link:

https://da.surveymonkey.com/r/airsoftforumsUK

I will of course respond to any questions in this thread, as well via the mail-address on the last page of the questionnaire.

Thank you very much for helping me out, and taking time to answer - it truly is appreciated!

Oh… We all want an invisibility-cape, right? Sorry, it was just marketing-clickbait-nonsense.

Best regards,

Kasper Thorup

• Supporters
53 minutes ago, Thestudentfromcph said:

In this questionnaire I focus on gas

You mean, you only want responses from gas users.  I'd put that in BIG BOLD FONT right at the top of page 1.

Questionnaire is very flawed and goes on and on. Also misses out the important stuff. 

Im a long time, all year round gbbr user. I run propane because it’s half the price and isn’t full of lube that will ruin your hop. Most proper gbbr users run propane. 

I dont believe anybody gives a shit where it was made or what shop they get their gas from. It’s a consumable. People will just go for the cheapest every time. 

In terms of quality product..

Abbey gas is very good

nuprol gas is good

ASG ultrair is THE WORST by a mile because of it’s butane content. 

4 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Yeah I know it feels like it goes on and on, but unfortunately (for me and respondents) it is the only way I can collect the specific data of these topics. What is flawed about it though? I will like to know - and learn.

I kind of tried to make people say what is the best just like you just did, but in a way that I can quantify.

Anyway, thanks for taking time to help me out!

• Supporters

Here's some free education.  If your survey is so long that users give up, it's not helping you.  If it's collating information that doesn't feed directly into a decision that you can actually make, it's not helping you.

Work it the other way around.  What decision are you trying to make, or trying to help your customer make?  If you don't know that, you're wasting everyone's time, starting with your own.

Determine what it is that you need to decide.  Then ask only those questions that are directly relevant to making that decision. 

For example, what is the relevance of how often people play?  You're trying to infer information from that which requires you to collect other data, like whether they use gas in their primary or secondary, and how much they use it, and even with all that, you'd still be guessing.  What you actually want to know is how much gas do they purchase over a given time period, so just go ahead and ask that outright.

Also, unless your primary concern is marketing rather than production, leave the market segmentation information to the end.  Put your most important questions first. If someone abandons your survey half way through, it's better that you know how much gas they buy, rather than how old they are.

If this hasn't been covered in your course, I'd question the value of the qualification.  Perhaps they're marketing it well.

3 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

If this hasn't been covered in your course, I'd question the value of the qualification.  Perhaps they're marketing it well.

My thoughts exactly. 

You seem to be asking what gas is best (not very well.. how good a gas is depends on psi at measured temps, boiling point of the liquid and the type/amount of lubricant inside)

you ask what green gas i use (wasn’t given the option of propane) but your list is repetitive. Whether I buy 1 nuprol 2.0 or a small 2.0 or a 4 pack is irrelevant to how the gas performs, you’re just going off my usage/ spending habits. 

What do you actually want to know?

Thanks for the free lesson, some of these things I am aware of. Creating a questionnaire are not part of my education, but is a way I try to collect data. So yeah, the questionnaire itself might not be good, agreed.

The relevance of how often someone play is pretty logic to me, but maybe it is because I am not an airsofter myself. Logically if someone plays very often they use a lot of gas, but if they only use gasdriven weapons as secondary they might not use a lot of gas. So I try to see hot often respondent plays averagely, and how much gas they use averagely.

Thanks again for taking time to answer.

1 minute ago, Wo1f said:

What do you actually want to know?

Please see my answer above. Also, it is interesting for me to try to see the marketshare of the different gasses. 

I see your logic, but play style has just as much of an effect on gas usage than how often they play. I can go through half a can or 2 whole cans depending on what RIF I use and what site I play at. 

In terms of market share, I would say nuprol hold the dominating share. Their gas is just plain old green gas, but they market it well, it’s reasonably priced (for airsoft gas) and the colour number system is easy to understand to your average airsoft player. Abbey is arguably a better gas, but their naming system for strength can leave people confused. 

In airsoft, ££:performance is key. 99% of airsoft gear is made in China. People don’t care if their airsoft gun was made by a well paid engineer in the EU or a 5 year old Chinese kid. It’s all about bang for buck. 

If if I was to develop and market a gas, it would just be a can of odourless propane sold cheaper than the leading brand.  

Yeah, that's true it comes down to playstyle, but how do I collect data on that in a questionnaire - that is why I try to quantify it the other way around. 

I agree regarding Nuprol, but it is not like that in Denmark where I live, or France where I have family. But my research shows that Nuprol dominate in the UK. That is why I want to know where you live so I can filter the answers.

And yes, people pretty much only focus on the price of the product but Nuprol are a bit more expensive than other brands (on top of my head), so why are they SO popular in the UK - Why do airsofters but the brand they do, basically.

Funny enough, a lot of airsofters in the US do not mind the smell of propane, so they go buy propane because it is much cheaper. Gas and airsofters are a funny size.

14 minutes ago, Thestudentfromcph said:

Yeah, that's true it comes down to playstyle, but how do I collect data on that in a questionnaire - that is why I try to quantify it the other way around. 

I agree regarding Nuprol, but it is not like that in Denmark where I live, or France where I have family. But my research shows that Nuprol dominate in the UK. That is why I want to know where you live so I can filter the answers.

And yes, people pretty much only focus on the price of the product but Nuprol are a bit more expensive than other brands (on top of my head), so why are they SO popular in the UK - Why do airsofters but the brand they do, basically.

Funny enough, a lot of airsofters in the US do not mind the smell of propane, so they go buy propane because it is much cheaper. Gas and airsofters are a funny size.

You could help ascertain play style by adding the type of airsoft gun that is used with the gas.

Example:

Semi Automatic Pistol
Fully Automatic Pistol
Submachine Gun
Assault Rifle
Designated Marksman Rifle
Sniper Rifle

2 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

You could help ascertain play style by adding the type of airsoft gun that is used with the gas.

Example:

Semi Automatic Pistol
Fully Automatic Pistol
Submachine Gun
Assault Rifle
Designated Marksman Rifle
Sniper Rifle

Yeah I thought of that, but then again. I want to know about gas and so on, not what weapon people use. But then again, I want to know much more than the questionnaire contain. 

Thanks for taking time to answer.

9 minutes ago, Thestudentfromcph said:

Yeah I thought of that, but then again. I want to know about gas and so on, not what weapon people use. But then again, I want to know much more than the questionnaire contain. 

Thanks for taking time to answer.

But the type of gas and importance of characteristics are dependent upon the gun in which they're used.

You'd never put expensive black gas in a semi auto pistol you were using as a sidearm for example, but you'd want to put a high quality lubricating black gas in a DMR that's your primary weapon, and a heavy action might not even cycle on green gas.

Ash is correct. TM are arguably the best gas pistols available, and they are not supposed to run on green gas, same with the TM MWS. I do, as I run propane in everything but the general rule is not to. 

I dont mind the smell of propane as I use it exclusively. I pay £8.30 for a bottle instead of the £12ish for green gas. I know some people don’t like it, so I would market accordingly.  

What gasses do those countries favour? I’ve seen loads of HK branded gas in Germany, but that isn’t available here to my knowledge. For the most part, 99% of green gas brands are the same thing with a different label. The stronger stuff has variance in mixtures and shitty ASG has butane in theirs. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, AshOnSnow said:

You'd never put expensive black gas in a semi auto pistol you were using as a sidearm for example, but you'd want to put a high quality lubricating black gas in a DMR that's your primary weapon, and a heavy action might not even cycle on green gas.

wait, you're saying i shouldn't run a hicapa on black? :P

because i run everything on black whenever it's available, otherwise i'll run on red, and it's a desperate time if you find me using green.

tbh i've not found much difference fps wise between gases, maybe the climate here doesn't vary enough for it to be all that important, although on a cold winter i do find my pistols start struggling.

Archived